Archery Talk Forum banner

First Archery Turkey

739 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  zighhb 
#1 ·
Over the years I have killed numerous turkeys but all of them have been with a shotgun. I have been pretty much out of archery hunting for the last 20 odd years. I had decided to get back into it and to seriously try to prepare to bow hunt again. I have been practicing some nearly every day for some time and doing all I could to become confident enough to do my best to make an ethical harvest. This morning I went hunting on a new place, anticipating the possibility of getting a shot at a deer. The location is a thicket and so I was hunting on the ground. A group of hens came in and I was able to get my first turkey with a bow. The shot was probably 19 or 20 yards. I use expandable broadheads so I didn't want to try to shoot thru the screen of my blind. Getting drawn back with all those eyes was a challenge in itself. I have harvested a lot of animals over the years and have had some great hunts that were challenging and thrilling, but I got one of the biggest thrills killing a "hen" turkey with a bow. I haven't gotten that excited in a long time. I know a lot of you have taken turkeys with a bow but for me it has been something I wanted to accomplish for a long time but never dedicated myself enough to prepare and make the time to really try. For me...this was a trophy!!! I think I had forgotten how satisfying archery can be. Wonderful challenging sport!! I figured out how to post a pic, but I can't figure out how to rotate it...sorry. Equipment used is a Darton 2800 bow, Easton fmj arrows and Schwacker broadhead.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
It can be a lot of fun. I think we can kill 4 in the fall here, but only 1 in the fall with a visible beard. I usually will hunt a food source or calling, mostly a kee kee run sound in the fall. I have taken a pile of turkeys over the years, both spring and fall in multiple states but I got the biggest kick out of getting one with a bow. Hard to express the satisfaction I got of actually being successful with a bow on a turkey. In my mind it is a big challenge.

#7 ·
It definitely is, turkeys are tough to hunt. We can only take 3 a year, unless something changed recently and they must be gobblers. We have LOADS of hens and nearly everytime I actually get to see turkeys during season they're ALL hens. I've never actually seen a fan in person, myself. I've heard a gobble or two, but never seen one that was alive.

#11 ·
Congrats I had a similar history as you, trying with bow but giving up for 20 years last spring. Haha I failed pretty miserably. I'm afraid a pinched neck nerve 18 months ago cost me the accuracy needed for the small target. The strength partially returned so may give it a go again this year. Not sure. I have no problem getting on toms on Wisconsin public, but as a NR I can only draw late season tags when toms avoid decoys like the plague. So I've been unable to get them from gun range to bow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.