Archery Talk Forum banner

Motive 6 setup suggestions?

2K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  MAD 6 
#1 ·
Sorry to post this question again(I was on the site a few days ago reading a thread where guys posted their accessories but I can't find it now!) the only thing I have bought for it so far is the peep so I can use suggestions for site, rest, stabilizer, etc. I have the 70lb model set at 28.5" and set at 60lbs so also need arrows that would complement this setup. I went to my local BPS today and they were no help - I guess they really didn't want the business? Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

#2 ·
Hard to make suggestions like that without knowing what your budget is and the intended use of the bow. Here's what I have for mine and I would suggest this stuff any day if you have the budget for it.

Sight: CBE Tek Hybrid 5 pin
Rest: QAD HDX
Stabilizer: Bee Stinger Sport Hunter Xtreme 8"
Peep: RAD Super Deuce

For your setup a 340 spine shaft with 100gr point would work just fine and depending on how long you cut it, it would let you get up to about 70lbs and still not be too weak.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replys, much appreciated. I'm getting back into bow hunting after many years so I'm not up on all the new technology. I'm also a surf caster so I know the importance of quality gear, I would rather spend the money on good equipment once rather than trying a bunch of cheap stuff.

A couple questions about the whisker biscuit - does it effect fletchings much, is it more noisy than an auto rest/drop away? I like the simplicity of a biscuit but was concerned if it would be the best choice for this bow.
Thanks again for any help or if someone can post a few links to threads about equipping this bow it would be great.

#7 ·
Whisker biscuit is silent, no moving parts. Best and most durable vanes I've found for the biscuit are zeon fusions. I own both motive 6 and agenda 6 both have biscuits on them, I'm a bowhunter not a target shooter. Im looking for simple yet effective accessories for my bow that give me an advantage, the biscuit does all I need. Simple set up and tune plus it's the most effective full containment rest available. I have used and own a quad hdx drop away. If you primarilary hunt from a stand or blind then I see no issues with them. They are very accurate and effective, I group slightly tighter with the drop away at my furtherest distances but not enough to out weigh the benifits of the biscuit. This is of course just my personal opinion based on experience I've had. Add to the mix the fact that I spot and stalk hunt and have had issues with the arrow getting jammed between the the fork and the riser I won't use a quad anymore. I have had two situations on quality animals blown and that was enough for me. If your getting back into it after a lay off I'd be getting a biscuit if it were me. With a drop away there's more in the set up than the simple biscuit. The motive is an awesome bow but it is a lot of bow for someone picking the sport back up. Keep your initial set up simple to help with the transition back in. Remember simple doesn't mean crap...
. Deer hunting Trophy hunting Elk Deer Reindeer

Terrestrial animal Safari Trophy hunting Snout Plant community

Trophy hunting Deer hunting Wildlife Terrestrial animal White-tailed deer

Terrestrial animal Wildlife Adaptation Marsupial Peccary

Elk Reindeer Trophy hunting Deer Wildlife

These and more were all taken with the Motive 6, Whisker Biscuit rest and Trophy Ridge React sight in one trip over a one week period. The set up I recomended is what I use and have had extremly good success with. The simplicity adds to my confidence in my gear and to me that's what really counts. Good luck in your decision.

#5 ·
I have been doing a ton of research over the past month. I just bought my first bow. The whisker biscuit is a lover hate thing. Most people love it and some hate it but most people who hate it don't have much proof as to why other than that it seems like it would cause problems. If you are going to shoot feather fletchings then they will get messed up but if you are going to shoot modern fletchings then you are fine for hundreds if not thousands of shots. BTW I am putting my money where my mouth is, I just bought one and it should be here in a few days.

Here is a slow mo video of one being shot and I get that it looks like it would affect things but so many people love them that I think that its a moot point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqJgaZxREf0

#8 ·
Actually, feathers perform very well out of a biscuit. They edges get a little fuzzy but it doesn't affect them at all.

#6 ·
I was thinking the same thing regarding the feathers vs modern arrows, I think I'm also going with the biscuit.
What size arrows do you guys suggest for 60lbs and a 28.5" draw? I'm looking at Gold tips 400 and 31" - should these be cut to 29"?

#9 ·
Thanks again guys, some great info. What size whisker buscuit do you use - I see they come in three different sizes? I don't have a pro shop near me except for places like Dick's and they do advertise as having "archery pros" so I might be putting this together my self.

#11 ·
Biscuit size is determined by arrow size. The arrow should have a cresent moon shaped gap between the arrow and biscuit,wider at the top and extending slightly around part of the sides where it is narrower. But this isn't a drama every whisker biscuit insert can be switched out for different sizes. Basically use a small size for micro diameter arrows and a medium for your standard sized hunting arrows. You want some play, as long as the biscuit isn't tight around the arrow you should be good.

#13 ·
I'm trying to determine what size/length arrow I should get - I'm planning on going on a hog hunt this winter so I was thinking Gold tip 400 and 29", if this sounds appropriate? I haven't shot much since the 80's so I am completely lost on all the new tech. If you guys can suggest some arrows and broad heads that would be great too, thanks again for the help, greatly appreciated.

#14 ·
Depends on the poundage of the bow. If you're shooting around 50-55lbs of draw weight, then a 29" 400 spine shaft would work. If you're shooting higher poundage than that, you'd need a 340-300 spine shaft. I have 300 spine gold tip velocities cut to 28.5" carbon to carbon with 100gr points, shooting 71lbs and 29.75" draw. Need to know your draw weight, draw length and point weight before we can recommend anything as far as arrow spine.

#15 ·
I have this bow set at 60lb(it's the 60-70lb Motive) draw is 28.5"
I have been checking out the 340 FMJ, along with several Easton arrows. Interested in Gold tip as well. I prefer to shoot a heavier arrow that was the reasoning why I bought this bow. Would a 400 work decent at 60lbs or should I shoot that weight when I have the bow set for closer to 70lbs?

It's good knowing you guys have shot this bow and can tell me what's a good match, Im buying a React 5 Pin site, medium W.B., I made a sling. I still need to buy a release(leaning to a buckle model) and I need to have a D loop nock installed. Are there vendors on the site that sell arrows by the half and dozen?

Edit: sorry I didn't see post before my reply

#16 ·
There's plenty if info on the web on how to tie a dloop. A buckle release is a good choice, I like tru ball releases you don't have to push them closed they are on a spring. Velcro releases can wear the Velcro out over time but they are more comfertable. Sounds like you are getting it all sorted out enjoy your bow and all the best in your future hunting endeavours.

#17 ·
One final question, do you guys use a stabilizer? I'm looking at a Bee stinger 6" since this bow is pretty well balanced already I think I can get away with the 6". Oh yeah picked up a half dozen Easton FMJ's 5575 400's, thinking of using a Muzzy quad blade in 100gr.

Thanks for all the replys and great pics

#18 ·
I'm just about setup, so far I got a good Whisker Buscuit from Trophy Ridge, 6" Bee Stinger Stab, Spot Hogg Wiseguy Release and a dozen Easton FMJ arrows 400 29.5". Im about to order either a Tree Limb Saver or Tightspot quiver and either a Spot Hogg or Trophy Ridge 5 pin site.

#19 ·
I don't even use a stab on mine.
60-X strings, peep, D-Loop, QAD HDX rest, React Pro5 pin sight and a wrist sling.
Trying to keep it as light as I can and still shoot well.
The stab doesn't seem to make any difference to me.

#20 ·
You don't need a stablized with that bow, and get the tightspot it's great. I shoot peepless but when I used to shoot with a peep the trophy ridge was awsome and I have it on my kids bow now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I shot a dozen arrows at the Pro shop after I had my site installed/sighted in and even the Pro shop guy couldn't believe how balanced this bow was even without the Stab on it. I figure since I'm still getting used to shooting I'll use my 6" Bee Stinger. I wound up getting the Tree Limb quiver(AP snow Camo). I can't believe how fast this bow is and how quiet - again like a mouse pissing on cotton!

I bought my Easton FMJ's online but the guy never cut them, I asked to have them cut to 28" but I have the standard 32'' - will this be a problem shooting this length(28.5" draw, limbs set to 60lbs)?

#22 ·
Couldn't edit my last post, don't really like this new format and I can't turn it off in Safari.

Does anyone know where I can get new limbs for my Motive? I'm looking to get a set of 50-60lb limbs to practice with - even set at 60lb this thing is a "Bear" to pull, I would like to start at about 55lbs and then work my way up to 65lb after I gain some muscle memory. I tried contacting Bear customer support last week but haven't heard back from them...

#24 ·
You weren't kidding! I had it set for 70lbs, pulled about a dozen arrows and I was whipped! Set it down to 60lbs and it still feels like 70! I'm going to have to hit the weights to shoot this thing accurately, in the mean time I really need to get the 50-60 limbs, as I said I tried contacting Bear but no response since last week.

#26 ·
I know it's kind of a day late and a dollar short but my opinion on the whisker biscuit is us as hunters try to keep from shooting our arrows threw anything before it has to hit that target or animal so why would I want my arrow to pass threw an arrow rest in the first 10 milliseconds of the shot. To me each sight has its pros and cons and it's totally what your comfortable with. As being a Prostaff shooter for bear I'm shooting the Hxl rest this year and honestly coming over from Hoyt I have never found a more consistent arrow rest as a limb driven rest my timing won't go out later down the road as strings and cables stretch. Also my opinion on FMJ arrows is that for what you pay for they are to me just an over priced aluminum arrow as when they hit something they bend with Easton I recommend the torch or hexx arrows if your looking to add total weight put brass inserts in them

#27 ·
I was thinking of picking up a QAD hdx rest, found a good price on one so I still might go with it. I'll probably pick up another how soon so I'll have the need for another rest. Still looking for a set of limbs 50-60lbs or another Motive with equipped 50-60lb. If anyone knows a Bear dealer or is a seller, let me know, thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.