Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water proofing a Double Bull Blind?

Water proofing a Double Bull Blind?

Do any of you treat your double bull blinds to waterproof them?
    A friend said he sprayed his with a product called "Camp Dry".
    And he says it dosent leak at all......
    I was thinking of doing something like that to my Matrix.............????????

Good question! I haven't had to sit in my Matrix in the rain yet, but was also wondering just how waterproof the Matrix is. One thing I would worry about with waterproofing is the smell. Seems like every waterproofing spray I have used smells really bad. Might be ok for turkeys, but not for deer.
    Todd M. Priest ~ East Central Iowa
    Bowtech Destroyer 350, 65 lbs, 28" DL, 365 gr. Gold Tip 5575 XT Hunter, 301 fps, 74 # of KE.
    QAD LD Rest ~ Octane Precision NXS Bowsight ~ Octane Stabilizer ~ Octane One Piece Quiver

I've wondered the same thing and will be interested to hear what the experts say about this.
    Would the waterproofing smell fade? Right out of the box, the matrix had a "new carpet" type odor that I expect to fade with time/elements...
    In the magic of the autumn woods, my soul is nourished.

My friend.....Like I said sprayed his T2 Double bull with the Camp Dry spray and he said you can sit in a "monsoon" and you dont get wet! He only uses his for turkey. I more than likely will only use mine for turkey as well, but may?? use for deer if I find the right situation for it.
    I know I sat in a friends double bull a couple years ago and it was raining HARD all morning. At first I thought...ok...this is going to keep me dry! But after a 1/2 hour or so it was drip here, drip there, and soon after it was dripping all over....needless to say I set my stool to try to set between drip spots and it worked kind-of......but I still got soaked!

That camp dry stuff does stink really bad. My dad used to use it on stuff, and wow, pee yuu! for deer hunting.

Maybe a better way to beat the rain would to create some type of tarp setup that only covered a portion of the top of the blind, where the water would run down the sides. Just a thought.

Or perhaps a teflon laminate that is often used in high tech rain gear.

Maybe the DB people can come up with an accessory for the top for heavy rain.
    Hunt Safe !!! ...
    Bowtech2011Invasion
    snyper broadheads
    epic 340

Personally, I have found no need to use anything on them. I have sat in a fairly hard rain and had most of the water run down the seams. That was in the BS5 and T5, I have not sat in anything harder than a sprinkle with my matrix... Yet.
    Go Early, Stay Late... Limb Chicken
    www.iowawhitetail.com
    www.whiteknuckleproductions.com

well I certaintly dont want to spray it with anything that stinks then!!
    I think I will wait and see how it handles the rain then!
    Forcast for Friday is 30% chance and 60% on Saturday. I will find out soon enough!

waterproofing

You should look into Hunt-Dri that stuff is waterproof and odorless. I use it for my blind and i use my blind for deer mostly but also my once a year for turkey. do a google search on it and you will find it.

Steve

Camp Dry works great. It does stink at first. Leave it set up to dry for a day or two at max and no more stink. It does have to dry.

I asked the DB guys this question. They said that they spray the blind with a water resistent spry and do not recommend reduing it unless the blind starts to leak. If so they recommend "Hunt Dri". Bret said that Camp Dry will also work but they tlike Hunt dri better.
    T ZZZZ

RER and Big River Longbows
    Hoyt Cybertec and Maxxis
    FMJ and VPA

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker12
    I asked the DB guys this question. They said that they spray the blind with a water resistent spry and do not recommend reduing it unless the blind starts to leak. If so they recommend "Hunt Dri". Bret said that Camp Dry will also work but they tlike Hunt dri better.
    Thanks for the info straight from the DB guys...!!
    We will see! My blind has yet to see rain so I will find out this weekend how well the spray they put on worked!

Camp Dry and most other waterproofers come in two different types. The original contains silicone and does smell really bad for a while. They do make a version though that doesn't contain silicone that shouldn't be as bad. Either way I would spray the blind down and leave it set up for a while in the backyard or something to let it air out well before hunting season. I think the blind would probably only leak bad along the seams and in that case you can get some seam sealer meant for tents that you can get in either a liquid that brushes or rolls on or a tape that you put on the seams. If you go with the tape I don't think you will have any problems with scent. I'd set the blind up in the yard and spray it down with a hose and see where it leaks the most and then decide which product to use for waterproofing.
    Kody

You really dont have to do that. I believe double bull already has something added to the fabric. It isnt water proof but water repellent.

I have been thru some doozies and never got a drop on me.

rick

Same Here

[QUOTE=TheHairlessone!]You really dont have to do that. I believe double bull already has something added to the fabric. It isnt water proof but water repellent.

I have set through some big rains and haven't had a drop on me either. The only water that gets in my blind is through the windows, never had it leak in through the roof!!!

One thing I should have worded a little differently. Mine blinds have leaked minimally around the windows & seams but the fabric has never leaked. It may run in the windows a little or something like that but you shouldnt get wet.

rick

I'm sure Double Bull uses a process basically like they do for making tents. The fabric is sprayed with a polyuerethane coating, but when the pieces are sewn together you put holes in the lining that allow water to seep in through the seams. The main body of the blind shouldn't really leak much though.
    Kody

I may be a little over protective I guess but I get 4 cans of the Tent waterproofing spray from Wal-Mart in the camping section and give my blind a liberal coating and twice on the seams. I have never had any water to date come in except around the windows but a very minimal amount and i have been caught out turkey hunting a few times in storms that I should have been in the truck.

BUT buddy is it ever worth it within a short time after a rain like that as the birds like to hit those open pasture areas etc. to sun and dry off

I've had my Pro Staff T 5 for five years. This year it was set up continuously from the 3rd week of Sept to the 2nd week of Feb. The year before it was out for almost as long. I've never put anything on it and it still stays dry inside. It has withstood 40 MPH wind and a foot of snow without any tears. When I have it set up for those long periods I do stake it down at the corners and the ropes in the wall centers. I also have a pole which I stand up in the center of the roof when I leave. Great product.

Ill be testing it tommorrow

Quote Originally Posted by TheHairlessone!
    You really dont have to do that. I believe double bull already has something added to the fabric. It isnt water proof but water repellent.

rick

I hope your right.
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

I left my Matrix out one night in a thunderstorm with 60 mph winds. Next morning when I got in, my stuff I had left in there was all dry, ground too..

Thanks for the advise.

Quote Originally Posted by azone5
    I left my Matrix out one night in a thunderstorm with 60 mph winds. Next morning when I got in, my stuff I had left in there was all dry, ground too..

Considering taking mine out tonight. Rain in the forecast
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

Well the Matrix was put to the test today!
    And no leaks! Worked great! Only wish the turkeys would have cooperated as well as the blind did!

I set in mine for about an hour while it was raining

Dry as a bone

I sat in my Matrix today for about 3 hours in the rain. It leaked! Not too bad, but it seems that where ever something was stitched to it, it leaked there. Like the piece if velcro on the roof for the zipper leaked. Along with all the pieces of fabrick behind each hub......including the roof hub! It rained steady and hard though. It wasn't enough to get me wet really. I was kind of like what the heck, at first. But then when I left I saw how soaked all the material was on the outside. It was a wonder it didn't leak all over.
    I think I did a dumb thing today.....I left my Matrix sit. I figured it was so wet and it was pouring, I was cold. I just didn't feel like packing it up and carrying it back, then with it being soaked I didn't want to half to take a chance of it getting moldy or smelling musty. It is suppose to rain here until Tuesday so I can't set it out to let it dry. So I figured I would leave it, water shouldn't hurt it and I am going to hunt it again tomorrow or Monday. But now the wind has really picked up and gusty. I have it staked, but with all the rain we got today, and still raining I don't know how well the stakes will hold. I should have tied it off to a tree. We'll see I guess!
    Todd M. Priest ~ East Central Iowa
    Bowtech Destroyer 350, 65 lbs, 28" DL, 365 gr. Gold Tip 5575 XT Hunter, 301 fps, 74 # of KE.
    QAD LD Rest ~ Octane Precision NXS Bowsight ~ Octane Stabilizer ~ Octane One Piece Quiver

I used a black rubber sealer on my T2 seams and it works very good. I could not find the same product for my next blind (Brickhouse) so I used a black silicon on the inside seams and a tent seam sealer on the outside. Since it was the seams that most of you had leakage around I recomend trying the above.

RT
    "Its always farther out of the woods than it is into the woods."

RT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast