Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 15 Feet High Enough For A Treestand

Is 15 Feet High Enough For A Treestand

the spot i am hunting does not have the right trees to use a portable treestand or a climber. the only way i can hunt deer here is to use a 15 foot
    high ladder stand. will 15 feet be high enough to bowhunt from?

I would say yes, as long as it provides some cover. Or you could use a blind.
    I'm not a big fan of heights so 15 feet sounds great to me!
    2009 Quest QS33
    Victory Arrows
    Magnus Stingers
    Everything else keeps changing, I just can't help it!

Thumbs up 15 is good

Like any hieght, you want to try and catch them looking the other way when you draw.
    Another thing is, don't make eye contact with them. That gets me busted every time I do.
    Bowtech Tribute LH (Black Marble)
    Hoyt Magnatech LH
    Darton Exciter (Wife's Bow)

It depends totally on the cover around you. If you are on a naked tree with no cover I don't know if you can get high enough to not get busted but if you have a tree with nice cover and some thick stuff around it you could hunt 5 foot off the ground and be ok.

It just depends on the terrain with respect to cover and slope. If you are on the edge of a hill and expect the deer to be walking up to you 15 feet is fine. If you plan on them walking downhill to you they will catch your scent blowing up the hill. Also remember you need good cover, but you will also need shooting lanes. If the area has a low canopy, you may need to go only 10-12 feet. For the most part though (after all that babble) 15 feet should be high enough.

Anytime,anywhere unless you're on a sidehill and it isn't a 'true'15ft from the deers location.Minimizing movement til the 'right' time is the key at any height.

I'm sure it would work out as long as you use the prevailing winds as a location guide and that you also brush it in really good.

I'm scared of heights and don't use my climber much over twenty feet anyway.

I do very well at 15ft. Just remember to look at the tree from all angles. It gives you an idea on what the deer will see. Find one with alot of limbs and don't remove all of them around you. Leave some to help conceal you. Cut small shooting lanes or look for natural openings. The less you disturb nature the better. Movement is your worst enemy. I also use ZIP TIES to secure old limbs to my ladder stands. More to thwart thieves than to fool the deer. Seems to give me a little more confidence. I have had deer bed 5 yards from me at 12ft high. Also 15+_turkey and several deer within 10yards. Good scent control and remain still!!!!!!! That is the best advice I can give.

18 to 20 is perfect but I would rather be at 15 than 25. Shot angles can get real tricky if you go higer than 20.

12 feet worked fine for me this year deer never bothered to look up

height?

Know a guy who's scared of heights and less than 10 feet works for him.

15 is perfect for me.

some trees and areas 30 Feet isn't high enough. Others you don't have to be over 10. Just depends on cover.

Best advice i can give ya though is to find your tree and after the stand is set up walk the deer trails and watch your stand with every step you take. It's the most surefire way to find out if you are high enough and in good enough cover. Better you do it than get snagged by a deer later on

Like to be a little higher

I prefer to be at least 20 ft because you can get away with at little more movement. But the one thing I always do is to set my stand so the sun is at my back in the morning.
    Vapor Trail Pro Staff
    VaporTrail Limb Driver, VaporTrail Strings and Cables
    Are you having fun yet?.......I know I am
    Shooting a Prime Impact

Fifteen will be high enough but if u can go higher why not. I have been going 30 feet for the past few years and have had better luck. I am so use to it that if I am below that height I feel like I stand out now.

im at 30 ft and its high but my first few years i was hunting at 10-15

Quote Originally Posted by 1wayin
    It depends totally on the cover around you. If you are on a naked tree with no cover I don't know if you can get high enough to not get busted but if you have a tree with nice cover and some thick stuff around it you could hunt 5 foot off the ground and be ok.

Yep, exactly.

Post One size doesn't fit all......................

I have a stand site in a little thicket that has a gnarled old persimmon tree that I can only get about 8'-10' off the ground. It is the best I can do for the situation. The stand has produced several bowkills over the years, and has provided even more shot oppertunities.

On the other hand I have another place that I hunt sometimes in Kentucky, where I hunt 28'-30' off the ground and wished I could go higher considering the hilly terrain. I have killed deer from this location as well, but I feel more consealed from the afore-mentioned 10' stand because of the flatter terrian and more limb-structure/brush.

A resourceful bowhunter can overcome and succeed.

Try it, you'll like it......

Keep'em Sharp.................
    Oneida Black Eagle ESC 65lbs/28DL, Steelforce Phathead 125

2009-2010 ArcheryTalk Deer Contest Champion team"The Autumn Assassins"
    2010-2011 ArcheryTalk Deer Contest Champion team "The Ridgetop Warriors"

I hunt at 15 feet and find that to be plenty. While elevated stands are easier to see deer out of they do become harder to kill deer out of the higher you go, as the angle makes the kill area smaller.
    65# Hoyt Katera-Rip Cord rest, Reflex Buckskin-Whisker Biscuit rest
    Jim Fletcher FlatHead Release, HAA-OL-5000 sight,
    Winners Choice String and Cables
    GT Pro Hunters , SlickTrick125

As long as you stay still and play the wind you should be alright.

The higher the better; but I've shot plenty of deer out of a climber where the surrounding trees limit my height at 12 to 15 feet, in order to get under the branches.

15 feet will work in most instances.

I'm not a big fan of ladder stands since the ladder stick so far out from the tree but 15 is high enough on level terrain assuming you can kinda disguise the ladder a little bit. And if its cold, don't spit on the ladder rungs as they can get slick if your spit freezes.
    Contact me or see my sales threads on predator camo.... etc. all.

yea

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    It just depends on the terrain with respect to cover and slope. If you are on the edge of a hill and expect the deer to be walking up to you 15 feet is fine. If you plan on them walking downhill to you they will catch your scent blowing up the hill. Also remember you need good cover, but you will also need shooting lanes. If the area has a low canopy, you may need to go only 10-12 feet. For the most part though (after all that babble) 15 feet should be high enough.
    What Doc said!

I've killed several deer at less than 15 feet...all depends on the area, terrain, prevailing wind, etc...but in the right situation it's fine.

15 feet is plenty given the proper cover, all of our ladder stands are 12 feet and one of my favorites is a 10 footer that I've taken several deer from........just don't draw when they're lookin in your general area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast