Archery Talk Forum banner

new to bow hunting

793 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Dispatcher72 
#1 ·
im new to bow hunting but not deer hunting. im used to gun hunting and have shot deer before but its alot easier to hop on ur fourwheeler and drive out and shoot something walking across the field then hiding with ur bow and waitin for a deer to get within 45 yards. i have found a spot in the woods full of oaks and hickorys and a clear game trail and have been feeding the deer corn as well but they seem to only be nocturnal. is there something i can do to attract more deer late season that might be more active

#2 ·
Quit looking at 45 yards try 15 for a shot, pic trees or ground spots with natural cover, stop looking around everywhere like gun hunting.

You must hunt the wind MUST MUST!!!!!!!
Late season focus on heavily used trails as you need a deer to be moving across in front of you for a good bow draw and shot. Its very difficult to draw and shoot a deer at an odd angle, where as with a rifle odd angles just take a little time and extra movement.

If you plan for 45 yard shots you will miss a lot of deer or worse wound them. REMEMBER marginal shots with a high powered rifle still mean dead deer. With a bow, this isn't the case. Especially with bad angles. You might be better off hunting with a gun and setting up like you would with a bow, then start with a bow next bow season. I love 20 yard clearings in thick woods for a bow, especially near bedding areas or with heavy trails through them. Setup is everything.

#5 ·
There are not many things that will give you the adrenaline rush that you get when taking an animal with a bow and arrow. Bowhunting can be extremely challenging so, as stated above, it is important to put everything in your favor. Deer will ALWAYS have the upper hand. With that being said, there are many things you can do to level the playing field.

1. Play the wind. When you're gun hunting, this is still important but not nearly as important since you can shoot the deer at 300 yds if you had to. When bow hunting, most deer you shoot will be 20 yds away, making it vitally important to conceal your scent and put the wind in your favor.

2. Know the property you are hunting like the back of your hand. Know the deer, learn their patterns. Know where every creek bottom, field, ridge, etc. is. When scouting, look for popular food sources and natural funnels. Deer always need food water and cover. Food can be a great place to ambush a late season deer.

3. Practice, Practice, Practice. If you aren't 100% confident at the range, it will lead to bad shots in the field. A 40 yd shot at the range is much different than a 40 yd shot at a live animal so being 100 % confident at the range is vital. Practice enough so that your form is automatic.

Hope this helps! Welcome to the sport of bowhunting!

#6 ·
Great advice above....I too am a new to archery hunter and im super stoked about it...I also have joined a local archery 3-d club and tournament league that meets 2 times a week here in Hampton Roads! I feel these combined with practice practice practice.....will lead to success!!!! I am crazy excited to get in the woods.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.