Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue light, blood trail

Question Blue light, blood trail

Does anyone here have experience with using a blue light to assist in following blood trails? I have a few questions if you could help.

First, does it work well enough to invest $30.00 into a new gadget?

Second, what kind of light do you use?

And last, does the light amplify all red colors, like in a harvested corn field, or is it specific to blood?

Next part, I was trying to decide between two lights. One is the Inova X5 flood light with blue LEDs. The other is a SureFire 6P or G2 with a blue filter. I have a white LED Inova and am satisfied with itís performance. I also have both Surefires, but not the filter. A blue filter cost about the same as a blue LED Inova.

Any suggestions?

I didnt know you could follow blood trails using blue lights. I thought you only found blood trails after all the blue lights are gone.

hehehehehehehe.

I have mixed feelings about using a blue light to track deer. If I am sure it is a solid hit and there is at least a 95% chance the animal has expired, then break out the blue lights or the Coleman lanterns. If the animal may or may not be down, then I prefer a red light.
    The reason being is that the eyes (retina) of a whitetail deer can see blue extremely well. Blue also relieves you the tracker of your "night vision". A red light allows you to still see very well in the dark and is not readily detectable by a whitetail.

Surefire 6p with blue filter works great for me, makes seeing the blood trail much easier.
    "CRACKERIZED"
    CARTER'S ARCHERY
    (816) 232-2577
    www.cartersarchery.net

I've tried the blue filter and IMO it's worthless or blood trailing. Blood shows up as a dark spot on the ground clutter and is very hard to see. Much easier to see blood with just a bright white light. Either a 5 cell maglight or a surefire work well.

Mixed Emotion

I too have mixed emotions. I have the blue filter for my sure-fire. It was only around $20 at Cabela's. If the the blood is fresh and wet, it works well, but if it has dried at all, I didnt see much difference. It sure makes finding the arrow easy though. By the way, when deciding on flashlights, there is sure-fire, and then there is everything else!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KYShooter
    I didnt know you could follow blood trails using blue lights. I thought you only found blood trails after all the blue lights are gone.

hehehehehehehe.

Sounds like a guy I know in Burke Co. GA......

Anyway...the best blood trail light that I've used was just the basic old Coleman gas lantern. It works for even a novice like me.

Just to add a thing about the Coleman lantern just incase some of you are in areas that do not sell this type. There is what is called a flounder light made by coleman used to gig flounders at night. It is basically a Coleman with a metal dome on the back of it to direct the light ahead of you. It also has a handle right under the dome so it is carried easier that just a regular one.

That would be really nice.

The light shed by those gas lanterns is the best thing short of daylight for me. I've tried the high dollar flashlights and even million power Q-beams but they pale in comparisson to the effictiveness of the low cost Coleman.

I'd rank it somewhere just under the Thermocell in terms of "Dub's Product Satisfaction Scale"....really effective.

I have the Innova with blue LED's and it is WORTHLESS for tracking blood. It looks black and does NOT stand out. On the other hand, the blue Innova is the BEST for navigating through the woods at night, every little tree branch appears very bright and you won't walk into one and gouge your eyes out
    2007 Elite Envy #143
    2008 Elite GTO Target Black
    2011 PSE TAC15i
    2012 Scorpyd Ventilator
    2012 Strykezone SZ380

I appreciate everyoneís input. Iíve used the Coleman lantern in the past, but wasnít very satisfied with it. Iíll give it another try this year. Itís real handy when creating a gut pile. I think Iíll also try my 6P or G2 with the blue filter. It would cut down on the number of things to carry around. I always carry a SureFire or the Inova T3 into the woods.

FYI, if youíre a flashlight nut, the T3 is an outstanding light. Compared to a 6P/G2, itís a little brighter, the batteries last a little longer, but itís also a bit larger. Itís still small enough for a tac light.

Thanks again.

Innova blue light

my blue innova LED light is worthless for tracking deer...give me a latern or the brightest pure white light you can find! Don't waste the money on blue...

I got conned into a Browning Black Ice, two red, two blue, and two white LED's and one Xenon bulb. You can run any of the colors or the Xenon. I can't see squat with the blue as far as blood goes, the Xenon is the only one I use. And it is not nearly as bright as my Brinkman Xenon wally World special.
    "Crackerized" 06' Bowtech Tribute, 08' General
    ****** CSS
    Extreme RT 900 >>>------------->
    N.A.P. Sizzor
    Alpine Soft-Loc

Trackin' light

I stumbled across this in a new Cabela's catalog...haven't heard anything about it yet...anyone else?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...451&hasJS=true
    "Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

surefire blue filter

SUCKS!! I shot a doe on opening day about 15 minutes before the end of the first day. I waited until she left the area, got down and hiked back to the truck about 400 yards away. Got my SUREFIRE WITH BLUE FILTER and went back to tracking. I found blood only because I used the white light!! the blue makes everything look black and yes the blood was very fresh.

just my .02

Paul
    "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God" (Psalm 42:1, NIV).
    3rd BTN, 9th Marines---Semper Fi!!!
    2010 Elite Judge 70# @ 26"...415 grain arrow at 275 FPS for 69#'s of KE.
    67 1/4" Osage Self bow 51#'s @ 26"
    Paulie G. http://www.vortexoptics.com/

light

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1eroc
    I stumbled across this in a new Cabela's catalog...haven't heard anything about it yet...anyone else?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...451&hasJS=true
    I think the blue light sucks , white is better. I would also like to know if anyone whas tried this light or the one that sponsers AT " the blood tracker"

[QUOTE=KYShooter]I didnt know you could follow blood trails using blue lights. I thought you only found blood trails after all the blue lights are gone.

QUOTE]

I too tried the blue lights did not see what all the fuss was about.The best light I have found for tracking is the streamlight poly stinger put it on the charger in the truck an its always ready to go no expensive lithium batteries to buy.its 7 inches tall an puts out 15,000 candle power for about 2 1/2 hours per charge.......

I have one..

Quote Originally Posted by gardner
    I think the blue light sucks , white is better. I would also like to know if anyone whas tried this light or the one that sponsers AT " the blood tracker"
    I was given a demo model and will be writing up a review of it come hunting season. In July I'll be doing some tests with it. I plan on getting some beef blood and taking it out at night, splashing it around with a brush and seeing what shows up. Be looking for the review.

Paul
    "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God" (Psalm 42:1, NIV).

I'd like to find something that helps, I am red/green color blind and it is REALLY tough for me to find without help...Easton94
    Proud daddy of Kennedy and Cooper!!
    Stealth Archery Staff Shooter
    www.stealtharchery.com

How about the Gerber blood tracking light? Anyone have experience with it?
    PSE Omen Pro
    Easton Axis Arrows
    Ramcat Broadheads

what about the Xenopus Electronix blood tracker flash light..look at the
    sponsors banner..any have one??look good to me.....

bigbucks170

The blue light is only effective if you have a light that produces >100 lumens of light. Even sure-fire has very few models that produce enough. If you have less than 100 lumens, you're wasting your time and a white light would be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbucks170
    what about the Xenopus Electronix blood tracker flash light..look at the
    sponsors banner..any have one??look good to me.....

bigbucks170

I have the demo model that I'll be testing in July and of course in October. Last night I was playing with it and was using the red flashing light with the white LED light and I flashed it on a red colored book. The red flashing light made the book stand out against the white light. If this works that well on blood then we may have a winner.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by t4daddy
    I got conned into a Browning Black Ice, two red, two blue, and two white LED's and one Xenon bulb. You can run any of the colors or the Xenon. I can't see squat with the blue as far as blood goes, the Xenon is the only one I use. And it is not nearly as bright as my Brinkman Xenon wally World special.
    Thanks, I was wondering if this light was worth the $$

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast