Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A felon can still bowhunt, right?

A felon can still bowhunt, right?

I asked one of my uncles today how come he never hunts. He said he used to and he loved it but then he got convicted of a felony when he was 18 (Breaking in a garage) he's not 38 and a changed man. He regrets not being able to hunt because of course he cant have a gun. I said "What about bowhunting" he didnt think he was allowed to do that either. Correct me if im wrong, but he can still own a bow and hunt with it right?

I'm not sure about other states, but here in New Mexico a felon can hunt with a bow. It is illegal to carry a gun, but they can use bows to hunt.

Yes, he can bowhunt.

He might be able to hunt with a muzzleloader too.

It is not classified as a firearm by the government.

Really? Anyone else know if he can hunt with a muzzle loader?

That is up to the individual states. Read the laws.

Give your local conservation officer a call, he can answer for your particular state. Here in WI I think felons can bowhunt.

Never been in a state where a felon cant use a bow and some states allow smoke poles.

Maine is one such state

Muzzleloader

I would think that a felon could hunt with both a bow and a muzzleloader because, as previously stated, the BATF does not classify either one as a firearm.
    =->>>>>>-----------------------------------l> X

Can not bowhunt in CA if convicted of a felony.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
    P&Y Official Measurer
    B&C Official Measurer

Depends on the state Boom, gonna have to check it out for yours.

This is the kind of thread that should have been handled in PMs. PETA loves when people talk about how felons are allowed to hunt. daniel you should call a warden near where you live and ask the mods to delete this thread, nothing good can come of it.
    Vermont State Let's Go Fishing Instructor
    Vermont Bowhunting Safety Instructor
    "Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it." TR
    TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

just a wunderin,,,,,,this happened 20 years ago,no?,,,,If he wants I'm sure he can apply for a pardon and git rid of the mark,,,,,,,,go online and check out your state regs on bowhunting,,I do belive he'll be alright,,good luck

he might be able to get an expungement

some states ban ex cons from owning "deadly weapons"
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    TARGETWORLD/HOYT Staff Shooter
    Proud CEO of Cincinnati Junior Olympians-the first JOAD CLUB
    I buy from BCY

This is a state by state issue, but generally what a felon loses are his right to possess a fierarm, so he consequently cannot hunt with one. Unless the state has gone further and specifically listed "hunting" as a priviledge taken away from felons, or made it illegal for felons to possess bows & arrows, they still possess the "right" to bowhunt to the same extent that any other citizen can.

Exceptions may exist for game law violations in which loss of hunting priviledges is part of the penalty.

-- FLIX

Quote Originally Posted by vermonster13
    This is the kind of thread that should have been handled in PMs. PETA loves when people talk about how felons are allowed to hunt. daniel you should call a warden near where you live and ask the mods to delete this thread, nothing good can come of it.

This doesnt need to be handled in PM's. I dont tip toe around, or even pay attention to PETA.

if it was not a violent felony who cares ... in oregon you can hunt with a black powder rifle or a bow ... screw the furries do I care what they think ? HELL NO
    check us out on facebook recreation specialties llc for blowout sales and exclusive specials
    for more info on available products call me 541 610 6565 contact via e mail at hl2bow@yahoo.com this is also the paypal act. or PM me
    SHOW ME ANYONES ADVERTISED PRICE AND I WILL BEAT IT !!

Quote Originally Posted by vermonster13
    Boy aren't we the almighty,wow man. I am a felon and explain to me why I "shouldn't" be able to hunt...I honestly don't understand why you would suggest this thread be deleted. The man asked a serious question and wants an answer.

In WI you can no longer hunt with a muzzleloader but are totally allowed with bow. After awhile in this state you can ask for a pardon from the governor.
    I will be in the process of doing this myself.

Daniel,just ignore vermont as he obviously has his mind made up already about
    "felons" and is paranoid about PETA and what they think.

I personally like this thread and it should be discussed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel BOOM
    I asked one of my uncles today how come he never hunts. He said he used to and he loved it but then he got convicted of a felony when he was 18 (Breaking in a garage) he's not 38 and a changed man. He regrets not being able to hunt because of course he cant have a gun. I said "What about bowhunting" he didnt think he was allowed to do that either. Correct me if im wrong, but he can still own a bow and hunt with it right?

depending on the state, yes he can for sure. Gear him up and take him hunting.

It's not considered a firarm,

sort of like you don't have to necessarily check in a bow as a firearm when traveling.
    Aim LOW

I don't think it's something that needs to be tiptoed around either! In fact, one of my bowhunting buddies has a felony conviction but one that I can truly admire. He found out another man was sleeping with his fiance so he beat him half to death! Should be legal, in my humble opion, and certainly shouldn't keep a man from bowhunting!
    An "archer" tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A "BOWHUNTER" tries to see how CLOSE he can get to his.

Who gives a rats azz what PETA thinks? In WI, felons can definately bowhunt. A good friend of mine is a felon, and he is now a clean law abiding dude who is also a great bowhunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed
    I don't think it's something that needs to be tiptoed around either! In fact, one of my bowhunting buddies has a felony conviction but one that I can truly admire. He found out another man was sleeping with his fiance so he beat him half to death! Should be legal, in my humble opion, and certainly shouldn't keep a man from bowhunting!

completely agree. If we as hunters can't portray the real us and keep lolly gagging around like they have formed us to act already, then things are going downhill.

heck yes, he can BOWHUNT, and so should every other hunter who has that one mistakenly or past commited felon who still has the desire to hit the woods bow in hand.
    Aim LOW

I don't think it's just a state by state basis but rather a CASE by CASE basis. My neices husband has a felony drug conviction from 5 years ago. He never did any jail time....got probation and has straightened the ship. In his case he cannot use a gun, bow, or even a knife for that matter! I believe any possession of these breaks his probation and is a felony in itself that sends him directly to jail. That's just his case....I know others differ within this state.
    Living today like there's no tomorrow!

Here in Alabama I know that a bow would be okay and I think that a black powder rifle is okay as well but I will have to double check the latter.

As far as felons not being able to hunt, its like my uncle said. YOu get caught driving on suspended liscense 3 times its a felony. Now, you shouldnt be driving on suspended, but I dont think you shouldnt be able to hunt over it.

Them Duke boys were limited to bow and arrow because they wuz on probation, at least for outhouse season!

-- FLIX

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast