Archery Talk Forum banner

chest protectors

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Shakes.602 
#1 ·
For olympic style archers...

What do you feel is the best chest protector?
Angle
Shibuya
Neet
Cartel

How do they compare to each other as far as how they fit? comfort? Effectivness with the material they are made of?

Thanks..:)

#2 · (Edited)
Angel is the best. Shibuya comes second.

The mesh on both brands are very similar (maybe the same). But I like the blue colour of Angel better. Shibuya's blue turns a bit purple after exposed to sunlight. Angel uses tack buttons to join the front and back piece together while Shibuya uses velcro and hence more flexible in terms of form fitting. However, Angel has elastic lace under the armpit between the front and back piece and therefore allow some flexibility in movement. Shibuya is one piece and has no lacing under the armpit so less flexible to allow movement.

Forget about Cartel. They can't produce a thing but copy copy copy and copy, shamelessly. :mad:

Magicord

#6 ·
Jim,

I wear a 46 jacket... The Angel Large is on the tight side with the Neet large being just right. The Shibuya XL is a little loose. The Angel has an extender that will add 2" to the size.

My vote is that the Angel and Shibuya are about equal with the Neet being next.

Stan

#7 ·
Angel quivers are great, but their STANDARD chest protector pretty much sucks unless you have the build of, say, a phone pole. Their CUSTOM one is pretty good, but the average person can't buy it. (to see the custom model, see any picture of Simon Fairweather after his last arrow at the Sydney Games). Hopefully that will change and they'll make that model available to consumers.

Off the shelf, for a large shoulder and muscular build, I prefer Shibuya, by a long margin. Much better fit and better elastic. Angel uses a short wide elastic which wears out inside of a single season. Their front snap is the worst- the strap tends to loosen very easily and it's potentially in the string path. The Shibuya snap is much better.

If you are very slim and have a thin chest then the Angel might fit better.

Buttons on a Shibuya ? Only for the strap anchors as far as I know. Under the arm against the ribs, it uses the Velcro system. Much better than buttons or lacing.

The Shibuya material is less coarse and affects the string a bit less as well, althought the custom Angel protectors with the vinyl panel are probably best in that respect (at the cost of breathability).

The Angel protectors tend to run way smaller than the Shibuyas.

None of these fit well for a chest size over 48. 46 - 44 is about the limit for an XL.

#8 ·
I am 6-1 about 215-float between 207-222 depending on the season. I have used the shibuya for 4-5 years now (they last a couple years before the elastic croaks). I agree with GT's comments entirely. If have used neets, angels, cartels and PSE's. The PSE L/XL is reversible but doesn't fit me as well. the neet fits ok but I don't like the fabric as much

#11 ·
Reason for CP:

When you shoot a recurve especially the Olympic recurve which is something usually from 66 to 70" long, the string often touches the chest on the left hand side (for right hand shooter). The chest guard provides a slick surface so that the string won't catch on the clothing, pocket etc especially in windy condition in which your shirt blows up like a ballon.

Magicord

#12 ·
>--gt-->;

I think 46" is pushing it for most XL I have looked at.

Why can't some chest guard manufacturer make a "cool" looking chest protector, something with a design (like a Union Jack, US flag, Maple Leaf, etc.), and some color. The white ones look like 1950's womens undergarments, the black is boring, and I for one am not into pink/red...

-CG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.