a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: info on oregon bows

  1. #1

    info on oregon bows

    any info on oregon bows



    icemannm


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mesa,AZ
    Posts
    406
    dont know much except a guy at the range has a black night by oregon.long ata and as fast a bow as anyone needed,he said it shot a 420 arrow 295fps,he did have a long draw 31 1/2 but it took 3 guys to get his arrows out of the targets at 15-20 yds

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    367
    Grew up across town from their factory but I don't remember much. What are you trying to figure out??

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The Great Northwest
    Posts
    1,218
    I purchased an Oregon Bow new, way back when. It was the "Mackinzie" model. Black and white camo. Was a great shootin' bow, and I knocked down several deer with it. The owner of the bow shop at the time told me to never crank it all the way down to the riser stops, as Oregon Bows were having trouble with "Limb Failure". Never had any trouble with the limbs, and the guy I sold it to is still shooting it today.

    I know that it is a real touchy subject around this AT site..."Rumor" has it after OREGON BOW COMPANY disbanded because of personal disagreements amoungst its owners...it started up again as "BOW TECH". This is what the owner of the bowshop told me.

  5. #5
    that's the same info i have concerning bowtech.i bought my oregon in 91 and still shoot it today it is the most consistant bow i have ever shot bar none. i think the limbs are solid carbon and i have never had any problems.they claim they dry fired it 100 times with out problems also froze it to below zero and shot it with out problems.my bow was the top of the line but can't remember it's name.like arsmith said it's no slow poke.i can vouch for it's durability back in 91 everyone was trying to get that magic 300 f.p.s. at 85# and a 6 inch overdraw i was able to get308 f.p.s. with this set up i was really abusing the bow it was almost like dry firing it with never any problems.

    icemannm

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Oh.
    Posts
    4,316
    Jeffery:
    "I know that it is a real touchy subject around this AT site..."Rumor" has it after OREGON BOW COMPANY disbanded because of personal disagreements amoungst its owners...it started up again as "BOW TECH". This is what the owner of the bowshop told me."
    Purely "rumor". John Strasheim was an investor in Oregon. That's the extent of his involvement. As president and CEO of BowTech, he takes the active roll of overseeing day to day operations. BowTech are now the fastest growing producer of bows in the industry.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,282
    Oregon was simply a great bow company in the beginning of their existance. Beautiful bows back then, honestly ahead of their time in the finish dept. IMO. I owned a Valiant Crusader target, beautiful black and gold flake job, nice grip, tight tolerances for the day, high gloss finish, high quality made bow, bottom line. Shot lots of others too, including the Black Knight, which at the time was one fast mutha, even tho you couldn't hit anything with it due to the brace height and handshock! Seriously, if Oregon could've kept things above water, they would've still been an awesome company today IMHO.

    The company did have management troubles and severe growing pains tho, and in all honesty this could not be blamed on either John Strasheim or Kevin Strother, as neither were holding the reins at the time--John was an investor and Kevin was the designer. The company fell millions in debt and filed Chapter 11 in 1995-- bailed out and still ended up owing quite a bit as I recall. Kevin started for another company shortly afterwards named Horizon Bow. This company was also based in Oregon, and only made it a couple of years---but also made one screaming bow during that time called the Firehawk. This puppy was much nicer to handle than the Oregon Black Knight, but breathed fire nonetheless--I owned one of them too--- Patrick Sullivan was the President of Horizon, Tad Jones VP and Kevin Strother designer. Dunno if John Strasheim was an investor there or not. John and Kevin started Bowtech in 1999, shortly after Horizon went south, and the rest of course is as they say yet another chapter, and one that is still not finished.

    Hope this helps!
    300 ARCHERY-- DEALER FOR MERLIN, OBSESSION BOWS, PARKER, AND MORE...OVER 35+ YRS EXPERIENCE! (603)899-2791
    Please support your local ARCHERY Pro Shop!

  8. #8

    Thumbs up Oregon Bow Limbs

    After much dust has blown away in the wind, I have purchased about 75 sets of Oregon Bow limbs. If there is anyone out there that wants limbs for their Oregon, get in touch with me and maybe we can match them.
    Gene Lueck

    "We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

  9. #9

    oregon bow limbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldpro View Post
    After much dust has blown away in the wind, I have purchased about 75 sets of Oregon Bow limbs. If there is anyone out there that wants limbs for their Oregon, get in touch with me and maybe we can match them.
    i have 3 risers 1 is como have 3 sets of limbs for that 1 riser is black with stars and strips and the other is black and turns red on the ends what do you have to match thanks do you know anything about strings and cables for these bows thanks steve

  10. #10

    Smile Matching Oregon Bow Limbs ????

    Steve,

    I have quite a few sets left. Green and brown camo, and clear coated black. Also there are several lengths. Approximately, 16,17,18,19 inches long. In the past I have had problems trying to match. The best way for me is for you to take a micrometer or caliper that will measure to .001" and measure the thinnest point in the limb. This is usually a couple inches below the eccentric slot bottom. Then measure the length with a tape. Then I can put together a pair. The limbs have been around and have scratches in the finish. However, most of them have never been on a bow. I have about 400 strings of every length that are also new.

    The limbs sell for $35.00 a pair plus shipping and the strings are $5.00. No warranty implied!

    Let me know what you think.

    Gene
    Gene Lueck

    "We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tucson, Az.
    Posts
    279

    Investor?......Lender!

    Quote Originally Posted by pdq 5oh View Post
    Jeffery:
    "I know that it is a real touchy subject around this AT site..."Rumor" has it after OREGON BOW COMPANY disbanded because of personal disagreements amoungst its owners...it started up again as "BOW TECH". This is what the owner of the bowshop told me."
    Purely "rumor". John Strasheim was an investor in Oregon. That's the extent of his involvement. As president and CEO of BowTech, he takes the active roll of overseeing day to day operations. BowTech are now the fastest growing producer of bows in the industry.

    The Strasheims did lend the "Oregon" bow company money. And the way I understand it, when Oregon bellied up they owned the creative rights to Strothers and everybody else. I think that is why Kevin really had to come back to start something with them. The equipment and property really did not amount to much from what I hear. I think it worked out well. Does Kevin still have his stock for sell? LOL

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Brownsville, Texas
    Posts
    1,229

    Awesome bows.

    I will tell you one thing, Oregon bows were the quietest bows ever. Out of the box w/ no silencers they were incredibly quiet.
    I think they still have their promo video where an SUV runs over a bow the guy walks over picks it up and shoots an arrow at a target. Yes they were awesome bows. Here's to a great one that is gone.
    It is better to be silent and considered a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Springfield, OR
    Posts
    12,537
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreySlayR View Post
    I purchased an Oregon Bow new, way back when. It was the "Mackinzie" model. Black and white camo. Was a great shootin' bow, and I knocked down several deer with it. The owner of the bow shop at the time told me to never crank it all the way down to the riser stops, as Oregon Bows were having trouble with "Limb Failure". Never had any trouble with the limbs, and the guy I sold it to is still shooting it today.

    I know that it is a real touchy subject around this AT site..."Rumor" has it after OREGON BOW COMPANY disbanded because of personal disagreements amoungst its owners...it started up again as "BOW TECH". This is what the owner of the bowshop told me.
    I was a staffer for Oregon ... Kinda the story but there was "Horizon" before Bowtech. those old Oregons put me in the book and shot as good and smooth as today's offerings, yea a lil' slower but sweet and quiet like others have said, too bad they ignited, Wonder what they would have for today.

    You'll never find parts unless somebody has a "basket case" somewhere.

    They made a great shooter other "staffers" where Chuck Yeager and Bo Jackson pretty impressive for the time.
    Hoyt RKT Matrix
    It's just a bow.. Shoot it
    Gut Piles Make Me Happy™

  14. #14

    Oregon bows

    Quote Originally Posted by icemannm View Post
    any info on oregon bows

    icemannm
    If you want to know about Oregon bows and where they are now, there is a guy in Opelika, AL named George Mann. He holds more Pope and Young records than any other person listed in Pope and young records. All species of animals. including, grizzlie bears, black bears, whitetail deer, elk, and countless numbers of ecxotic animals, lots from Africa.

    George, the last time I talked with him has since hung up the bow and no longer hunts himself. I believe hisdeer is still the 3rd largest whitetail killed in the state of AL.

    George at that time had a rack of Oregon Bows on it that included roughly 80.
    fastest bow I have ever shot, though I could hardly pull it back.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,136
    I still have two Black Knights, one right handed and one left handed. I just gave a 42 A2A Black Knight away to a friend that needed a bow. It still shoots great, +290 fps hunting arrow. It just got all the fixes before the company closed their doors. I have several sets of cams. At the time Oregan was the best bow that all other companies had a hard time keeping up with. To bad they went under. I still like thier risers! Best grip feel. IMO.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    546
    Didn't the original owner die in a plane crash or something? After that happened is when the company started having problems. Maybe I am wrong, that was a long time ago.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Springfield, OR
    Posts
    12,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkwisperer View Post
    Didn't the original owner die in a plane crash or something? After that happened is when the company started having problems. Maybe I am wrong, that was a long time ago.
    Billy Cruise- He was scouting for Elk so they say... A friend I had back then had a Billy Cruise signature VC on both limbs in silkscreen I bet he still has it not sure how many of those were made that way
    Hoyt RKT Matrix
    It's just a bow.. Shoot it
    Gut Piles Make Me Happy™

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
    Posts
    8,002
    I agree 100%! The Valiant Crusader was one of the finest target bows ever made!! 48" ATA, 10/32" metal cables and tear drops with a FAST-FLITE string!! The finishes were incredible (I had a one-off high gloss black with silver metal flake and all the components were chrome!) and the bows were so accurate!! Very forgiving!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinwheel 12 View Post
    Oregon was simply a great bow company in the beginning of their existance. Beautiful bows back then, honestly ahead of their time in the finish dept. IMO. I owned a Valiant Crusader target, beautiful black and gold flake job, nice grip, tight tolerances for the day, high gloss finish, high quality made bow, bottom line. Shot lots of others too, including the Black Knight, which at the time was one fast mutha, even tho you couldn't hit anything with it due to the brace height and handshock! Seriously, if Oregon could've kept things above water, they would've still been an awesome company today IMHO.

    The company did have management troubles and severe growing pains tho, and in all honesty this could not be blamed on either John Strasheim or Kevin Strother, as neither were holding the reins at the time--John was an investor and Kevin was the designer. The company fell millions in debt and filed Chapter 11 in 1995-- bailed out and still ended up owing quite a bit as I recall. Kevin started for another company shortly afterwards named Horizon Bow. This company was also based in Oregon, and only made it a couple of years---but also made one screaming bow during that time called the Firehawk. This puppy was much nicer to handle than the Oregon Black Knight, but breathed fire nonetheless--I owned one of them too--- Patrick Sullivan was the President of Horizon, Tad Jones VP and Kevin Strother designer. Dunno if John Strasheim was an investor there or not. John and Kevin started Bowtech in 1999, shortly after Horizon went south, and the rest of course is as they say yet another chapter, and one that is still not finished.

    Hope this helps!
    2013 PRO STAFF SHOOTER FOR: * SURE-LOC SIGHTS...THE ICON * EASTON ARCHERY PRODUCTS * DOINKER STABILIZATION-ESTREMO PLATINUM SERIES!! * PROLINE BOWSTRINGS-THE ONLY STRINGS "CUZ" TRUSTS!! * SPECIALTY ARCHERY PRODUCTS * FLEX-FLETCH PRODUCTS...FF-187!! * CARTER RELEASES-SIMPLE 1's BY vftcandy!!!! * ACCUNOCKS * A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL MY SPONSORS!! * AND A SPECIAL "THANK YOU" TO JESUS CHRIST & MY WIFE AND KIDS!!!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    725

    Oregon

    I saw a sweet Black Knight on ebay a few weeks ago. One owner, looked brand new. If I wasnt over my limit on bows right now.......it would be at my house.

    BW

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mexico, Mo
    Posts
    289
    Owned a Valiant Crusader also. 31" 85lb. Would shoot a 400gr arrow 310fps, not bad for a round wheel bow. Extreme accuracy, could shoot an arrow in the same hole from 20 yds.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    26
    As soon as I saw the title on this topic, I recalled how nice those bows looked. I had a friend that had a few of them and they shot and looked awesome. I had not even thought about them for a long time. The other bow finish that I always thought was really good was the Quadraflex target colors by TSS. They looked good and held up well. Real glossy.

  22. #22
    i had a black knight and i knocked down more deer with it than one man should be aloud in a lifetime! one fine shootin bow! really packed a punch! man i miss that bow!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Danville Ky
    Posts
    1,102
    i had a 90+# Oregon back in the late 80's. it was the long one and i shot it at 94#s and it shot really smooth and was fast for a wide brace height long ata bow. it was made very well with nice recurve limbs and a riser that was strong as they came. wish i still had that old bow.
    KY state I.B.O. rep

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Springfield, OR
    Posts
    12,537
    Quote Originally Posted by NEVADAPRO View Post
    I agree 100%! The Valiant Crusader was one of the finest target bows ever made!! 48" ATA, 10/32" metal cables and tear drops with a FAST-FLITE string!! The finishes were incredible (I had a one-off high gloss black with silver metal flake and all the components were chrome!) and the bows were so accurate!! Very forgiving!!
    After Billy died the brothers "Duncan" came along and somehow got $$$ control that was the beginning of the end, I liked Dave and Gorden but they just weren't ready to manage a raging tiger ... So now when this or that bow company tanks because the owner rights himself a $50,000 check for a Vegas weekend ... Hmmm?/? I'm not too surprised. I'm glad Kevin S. and his talents survived the bad management that ensued, I agree the Oregon Bows were way ahead of their time... What if??

    Well .... Elite...


    Last edited by stixshooter; August 18th, 2008 at 03:19 AM.
    Hoyt RKT Matrix
    It's just a bow.. Shoot it
    Gut Piles Make Me Happy™

  25. #25

    Oregon Bow owner!

    Billy Cruise and his son God rest their souls, died in a plane crash scouting for elk in the Strawberry Mt range of Oregon. One of the biggest reasons for the destruction of the company came after his death. (IMHO) There was a $1,000,000.00 insurance policy on Billy. It made the company suddenly solvent but run by an accountant that had never even shot a bow. He squandered the money on unnecessary equipment and supplies until it was gone. Then the investors took over. TOO LATE! only MHO

    How would I know that you ask? I was the VP of engineering, design, and production of the original Oregon Bow Company until I left to pursue other interests.
    Gene Lueck

    "We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Moving to Portland Oregon need info
    By lpdoghunter in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: June 9th, 2010, 11:14 AM
  2. Portland, Oregon area info
    By siucowboy in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: December 4th, 2007, 09:40 AM
  3. Oregon Bows? Anybody know anything
    By DRT in forum General Archery Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: October 1st, 2007, 12:17 AM
  4. Oregon Bows
    By SCcsmrbwhntr in forum General Archery Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 8th, 2006, 04:48 AM
  5. oregon bows
    By sprout in forum General Archery Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 18th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •