a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: PSE Viper Rattler elevation adj

PSE Viper Rattler elevation adj

Hello people,

this is my first post here BTW. I just got myself my first crossbow - PSE Viper Rattler. Store keeper recommended it to me as his best seller and value for the money. anyways, making long story short - how do you gentlemen use that elevation adjustment dial?

Thanx in advance

Quote Originally Posted by weiss
    Hello people,

this is my first post here BTW. I just got myself my first crossbow - PSE Viper Rattler. Store keeper recommended it to me as his best seller and value for the money. anyways, making long story short - how do you gentlemen use that elevation adjustment dial?

Thanx in advance

I never used those things on my hortons when I used to shoot horton. Rather, I get a good multi-point sight (the Excalibur Varizone or the new Ten Point are both good-hortons and simmons work well too) and go from there

I don't have a PSE in front of me-I sold a few of them after thoroughly evaluating them and I can't recall if they are copies of Hortons or ten points but the normal practice if you use a simple cross hair or red dot scope is to sight it in at 20 yards and then see what each click gets you-usually 3-5 yards increase
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    TARGETWORLD/HOYT Staff Shooter
    Proud CEO of Cincinnati Junior Olympians-the first JOAD CLUB
    I buy from BCY/ProLine

first off- red dot that comes with the bow has four dots lined up vertically and as storekeeper recommended, those should be used as sights for different distances, like 20-30-40-50 or something. And then theres dial underneath scope mount that tilts the whole thing incrementally up or down.

So, thoretically it sounds simple, but I thought some of u guys may know how to manage with all that stuff. Instructions do not cover anything beyond very basic assembly info.

I understand red dots should be sighted in and elevation edjustment be use for exactly that - compensate for the slope. But then again, how do I sight in red dots if they are all lined up already and at the same distance from each other? My understanding is that drop is different on 30 yards and on 40 and so on.

Can't way to try my crossbow.

oh, wait I think I got it

I sight in one red dot and use dial for distance and other red dots for slope/elevation adjustment

right?

I sight in the top dot or line and then figure out where the others print
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    TARGETWORLD/HOYT Staff Shooter
    Proud CEO of Cincinnati Junior Olympians-the first JOAD CLUB
    I buy from BCY/ProLine

adj

weiss: Think maybe I can help. The dial adj is only for single reticle scopes like on a rifle. You sight in your scope at 20 yds then turn the dial for the farther ranges. The red dot you're describing works on the principle that once you sight in the top dot at 20 yds the rest should be on like Jim says. IOW, you don't use the dial w/ red dot. Clear as mud?lol
    Illigitimus non Carborundum!!!

thanks awshucks, that helped and it was clear. Now that I tried my xbow today I can say it rocks. It was almost dead-on right from first shot at 20 yards. With a bit of sighting I was hitting ~1 inch bullseye. One thing I did wrong though I touched that elevation adjustment and had to sight everything again, after tightening all screws.

I was thinking - if I am not going to use that elevation adjustment dial, how about if I solidify it with epoxy or something. I thought I have to lock it in place from accidental movements. Have anybody done anything like that?

Weiss: If you epoxy the dial and decide to upgrade some day it might affect the re-sale. You can get around that by taking a scribe and putting small reference marks on the knob and the stock. You can then check for movement w/ just a glance. Another alternatrive would be to go to a single dot set up and use the dial. I never cared for the multi dot sights, the darn dots seem too close together for me.
    Illigitimus non Carborundum!!!

I also recommend disabling it if possible. If it moves without you knowing, you may end up missing the big one.

I'm not sure about the PSE but you can disable Horton's by pulling the pin that connects the dial to the sight rail.

Quote Originally Posted by awshucks
    Another alternatrive would be to go to a single dot set up and use the dial. I never cared for the multi dot sights, the darn dots seem too close together for me.
    I actually got used to my multi dot sight, it is dead on at 20yds, almost dead on (1" down from internded point of impact) at 30yards and of course at 40 yards I have to add almost the same distanse down from 3rd dot. Say, its perfect for shooting distances 20. 30 and 34 yards, the rest is an approximation from those figures.