a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Fred Bear Montana Longbow

Fred Bear Montana Longbow

Can anyone comment on the performance, quality, and other important information concerning the Fred Bear Montana Longbow? How does it compare with other longbows? Does the 64" length add any advantage other than manuverability in hunting? Thanks for your comments.

I have briefly shot the Montana, maybe 30-40 arrows. It seemed to be a nice bow, not much hand shock (for a long bow) and cast with lighter (target) arrows was decent at 50#. The one I had used had the grip reshaped to get rid of the square edges and it felt nice in the hand. The finish (greybark) was very nice. Over all not a bad bow at all, but I have limited use of longbows so I may not have the best out look on them.

The Montana is OK for an entry level bow, but one step up to the Bear Patriot gets you a fast stable bow that shoots very well. If you are going to seriously try a longbow the extra $ is well spent to try a good one. Also the Patriot will retain good resale value if you decide to sell it.

Montana Longbow

Ranger,

Thanks for the information. I am left-handed, do you know if the Patriot comes left-handed? Have you shot the Patriot, and what type of arrows do you shoot with it?

My Patriot is 50lbs. @ 28inch. I draw about 29.5. I shoot 2018 aluminums with 125gr points and 3 5 inch feathers.

My son has the 45# and myself 50# we like the bows very much. We did get read of the strings that came with them and put flemish on them and tuned. We both experance no hand shock. Yes we use wood arrows we both are switcing from alu.

Limbwalker....USA Archery Olympian said he shot a ton of bows at Kalamazoo a couple years ago and felt the Bear Montana shot as good as anything there.

I tried to order one twice and both times the bow sent had twisted limbs, I gave up. I have since made my own, the limbs are perfect and it shoots very nice.

Hank
    in 1492, Native Americans discovered Columbus, who was lost at sea.

I have one and think it's a great bow for the bucks!

If I were you, I'd try one before I bought it. I have both the Montana and the Martin Savannah. The Savannah is a much nicer bow with noticably more speed, less hand shock and a better grip (at least for me).

Thanks guys for the replies. I think I can't go wrong with either the Patriot or the Savannah.

Ranger: I like your set up with the Patriot. I will try both bows before I purchase one of them. Don't think my betterhalf will let me get both bows.

Thanks for the info, I found this useful as well.