Thread: red wing hunter bow help

Unhappy red wing hunter bow help

Many years ago I shot a red wing hunter bow.I have just brought a used one and here is the problem on pulling the string back the draw length seems to short. It is rated at 55lbs at 28'' I pull about 30" but the bow seems that it can't make it to this draw length.I didn't think you could bottom out a bow like this.What do you guys think. Did they make them at different draw lengths?

I bet it just stacks really bad and it feels like you trying to pull alot more weight than you can pull. Well thats my guess anyway. Cause at 30" it should pull about 61#, but with stacking it could be pulling close to 70# which is ALOT for a trad bow begginer.

p -

Typical problem with short wooden bows. Wood being wood, there are sometimes significant variations from one piece to another even of the same make/model). Seems like the one you currently have is showing a early stack point. Infortunately, if that's the case, really isn't a lot you can do about it, except either deal with it or look for another bow. If you have a legitimate 30" draw length, I stay with 62" as a minimum, and perferably longer.

The other possibility (you ain't gonna like this ...) if you been shooting a compound, it very possible that your muscles are expecting a letoff, and when one doesn't happen, you feel like your hitting a brick wall. #55, btw is pretty stout for someone who hasn'y shot in a while, about #20 too heavy, IMHO.

Viper1 out.

Smile redwing hunter

Thanks for the information.But I have fixed the problem my string was 55" the redwing takes 54" I changed the string to 54" and it now draws back to my anchor point wich is the corner of my mouth.I don't know why but this is the case. The next thing is geting the bow string on it is really hard to get on I thing I will try a different bow stringer.

p -

I'm not quite sure why you think shortening the string from 55" to 54" made a difference, you effectively added a few pounds, and lost a few fps.

Viper1 out.

Red Wing

I have a 1967 Wing Red Wing Hunter and it feels like it just hits rock bottom past 28"s...talked to others about these bows and it seems to be very commom

Question redwing viper 1

I put the 55" bow string to get more fps.With the longer string the brace high would be lower.Now what ever you think the fact is that I am not ending up with a short draw.I can hold much higher lb bows so its not me who is runing out of steam.I also don't wait for a let off.It may be something to do with the bow being bent more with the 54" string that lets me pull back more.I don't know because I shot a 55' string on my old redwing hunter.I need to move on but it is still strange.

Thats strange, Viper is right the longer string you had on there should have you pulling less weight. The new string should feel even heavier. Hmmmm.. doesnt make since, but if it worked, it worked, probally not cause of the string though. LOL

And dont think Viper was trying to raz you about the weight cause no matter how much you wanna boast, #55 IS alot for a trad bow, and especially for a beginner, nothing personal just a fact. Glad it worked for you though, your gonna love shootin the Recurve, but beware your compound might get a little dustier from sitting in a case somewhere. At least mine did, until I sold it. LOL

overdraw

It won't take long for your redwing to develope stress lines do to overdrawing the bow beyond considerable limits this also can cause the limbs to twist. I might suggest that you get a longer recurve with less weight or go to a custom made for long draws. David