a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckmasters bow at Wal*Mart

Buckmasters bow at Wal*Mart

A buddy of mine is looking to buy a Buckmasters compound bow from Wal*Mart. Its a package deal I think and not a youth bow. He is 16 years old and about 120 soak and wet. I was just asking for him if anyone has any knowledge of these bows. He doesnt have the money to go buy a top name bow, I think this package goes for like $200 I think. Any info would be great, Thanks, Muz

Buckmaster Bow

Actually these bows are a good deal. My son bought one last year and its a darn nice bow for the price. Great beginners bow. Fast too.

did you look on the classifieds on archerytalk? There are some pretty good deals on there if he dont want to spend a lot of money, i dont know anything about those bows, but i was just giving you another option.
    65# 29" Mathews Heli-M

he could buy a used older ultratec for $200 lot more bow for the same money
    myarcheryclub.com

I think he would do better with an older more upper end bow. Plus, he really needs to make sure he gets it set up right. If the bow doesn't fit and isn't tuned right he well never be totaly satisfied,nor will he shoot to his potential.
    Bowtech Admiral--Hoyt Vtec

it will kill a deer very dead.
    for the price , it is a good bow package.

First if you get it take it to a pro shop. Second does it have the carbon riser?
    They require a special press.

How much poundage can he pull. I've got a Mathews FX that is light and a sweet shooter I would let go in that range. I think it has a whisker biscuit on it now or I have a trophy taker rest that works great on it as well. I think the lowest weight I had it was around 55lbs. 27-28"

I looked at that bow today, the Wal-Mart near me just started putting the archery stuff out. I think it was $198 as a package deal. Can't go wrong for the money on the bow, some of the accessories are really cheesy/cheap and would have to be replaced IMO.
    Last edited by DFArcher; July 18th, 2006 at 01:09 AM.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

I shoot the Buckmasters BTR Pro from Wal Mart and absolutely love it. It's the 260.00 version with the machined cam instead of the "plastic" one. It's a hard hitting and quiet bow that came packaged with everything needed to shoot. The first thing I did though is replace the sight on it. I think it's an "Allen" brand sight and is very cheaply made plastic. Don't even think about using it. I also had to go to the "carbon insert" model Whisker Biscuit cause the aluminum model was too large for my carbons.

I've had great luck with it after owning it for two seasons. 4 deer kills and one turkey kill later, it'll be with me this upcoming year also.

JP

actually, i think that Manboy guy has bought most all of his bows at walmart. not that hes a great hunter, but he has stumbled into a couple little deer here and there......

seriously, a buddy of mine in college bought a wally world bow, think it was a bear if i remember right. it shot pretty good, and he did get a nice antelope with it, so.........

just make sure it fits your friend. thats the most important part.
    OZONICS- proof that with leased land, and enough technology, even Tom Nelson and Jay Gregory can actually kill something.

Tough call, I think there are some great deals on used bows that he may be better off with, but if it really is a decent bow, and it is fitted to him, he may be well served by it for a long time. I paid $160 for my last bow back in 2000, and it served me well for 6 seasons, thought it was originally a $270 bow then, it was a good deal and it still a good shooter. No one can tell your friend what bow is best for him, he needs to learn that on his own. Take him to a pro-shop and let him shoot a couple bows, get measured, etc, then start him out on the right foot. Also sign him up here or tell him to look at the classifieds here, there are some really great deals to be had there.
    ~~Doug~~ N.O.A.H. PRO-Staffer
    2006 Hoyt Trykon XL 29"-70#'s / Alphamax 35 29" 60#
    Cabela's Carbon Stalker Extreme (MADE IN USA) tipped with ST Magnums
    Sword Apex Hunter / Sword Twilight Hunter with TT Micro-Adjust / Shaffer Tec Dropaway
    "What ever you say or do as a hunter reflects on all of us hunters, use good judgement!"

If it's got the plastic/carbon riser and/or the plastic cams I wouldn't waste the time on it personally. He needs a bow that will last a while and for lots and lots of shots because archery skills are not learned in a month, a year or maybe even a lifetime. The BTR Pro model last year, I believe, is made of metal, though. That could be a hunt-worthy tool. I am not saying he should buy something top-of-the-line, I buy mid-priced bows myself, but a plastic bow with plastic accessories just won't get the job done. For example, a Reflex Gamegetter (last year's model) went for $200 (I saw them for $169 on sale) and that would end up costing the same as the Wal-Mart bow after changing the accessories....which likely would happen. And the Reflex would be a far better bow overall. Have him shop around more or check the classifieds, he would benefit from it greatly.

~~Doug~~ N.O.A.H. PRO-Staffer
    2006 Hoyt Trykon XL 29"-70#'s / Alphamax 35 29" 60#
    Cabela's Carbon Stalker Extreme (MADE IN USA) tipped with ST Magnums
    Sword Apex Hunter / Sword Twilight Hunter with TT Micro-Adjust / Shaffer Tec Dropaway
    "What ever you say or do as a hunter reflects on all of us hunters, use good judgement!"

Quote Originally Posted by archerdad
    he could buy a used older ultratec for $200 lot more bow for the same money

That's what I'd look around for.

Sportsmansguide has a nice deal on an entry level Buckmasters. It's $149, $135 if you're a member and there are $10 off codes around the net. SPG1711 is one but it might be expired. He has to be sure he can pull 60-70 pounds though and it sounds like a lot for his weight.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=278416&pn=1

Well he went ahead and bought it yesterday. We went and shot for an hr or so till the rain hit. He got it set up and sighted in. Shoots fast and smooth, I was pretty impressed with it for what it is. He seems to like it so far, hes been out all morning shooting already.

I bought the BTR for my friend two years ago for like 70.00 to get him into hunting. I put a whisker biscuit on it. they are a nice bow for the price. Quiet and smooth. Cheap acceroies but you can upgrade those right there at wal-mart. Have another friend who has the BTR Pro again nice bow for what he paid.

walmart

Wal-Mart is the devil! A good 3 or 4 year old upper end bow and a local pro or friend is priceless as master card says. But if it came down to it I would rather have a new archer in the world. Support your local unions and small business

The buckmasters bow at wally world is a good bow, period. I have the cheaper one and it has an aluminum riser.4" groups at 50 yards. Upgrade the accessories and it is a great bow.

Thumbs up Nice little bow..........

The local Walmart sporting goods dept. had one out of the box today and it looks like a great little bow especialy for the money. I think it would be fine, it is in the same class as the PSE Nova bows that was so popular a few years back for the same price range.

Keep'em Sharp.........
    Oneida Black Eagle ESC 65lbs/28DL, Steelforce Phathead 125

2009-2010 ArcheryTalk Deer Contest Champion team"The Autumn Assassins"
    2010-2011 ArcheryTalk Deer Contest Champion team "The Ridgetop Warriors"

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefeather
    I shoot the Buckmasters BTR Pro from Wal Mart and absolutely love it. It's the 260.00 version with the machined cam instead of the "plastic" one. It's a hard hitting and quiet bow that came packaged with everything needed to shoot. The first thing I did though is replace the sight on it. I think it's an "Allen" brand sight and is very cheaply made plastic. Don't even think about using it. I also had to go to the "carbon insert" model Whisker Biscuit cause the aluminum model was too large for my carbons.

I've had great luck with it after owning it for two seasons. 4 deer kills and one turkey kill later, it'll be with me this upcoming year also.

JP
    If JP is shooting one and is on tv. that is enough for me. Let the kid enjoy the bow and have some fun.

Nothing wrong with that bow for starting out.

the REAL moral of this story is....

Wal-Mart is the devil! A good 3 or 4 year old upper end bow and a local pro or friend is priceless as master card says. But if it came down to it I would rather have a new archer in the world. Support your local unions and small business

Quote Originally Posted by kxmart
    looks like somebody's had one too many......

3 or 4 year old bow with no warranty thats had the $#!+ shot out of it???....and ......Local Unions run small businesses into the ground not to mention hog up all the work that the small contractors need to stay afloat, then whine when they don't get their way. Phh....the guys standing on the side of the road with their signs hoping I'll feel bad because they walked out of their cushy 7-3:30 prevailing wage job. I don't think so!!! GOD BLESS THE LITTLE MAN ,piss on the unions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast