Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Fletching orientation on whisker biscuit?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bonnyville Alberta Canada
    Posts
    5

    Fletching orientation on whisker biscuit?

    I have recently purchased a Mathews Switchback and have installed a whisker biscuit on it. I am not 100% sure about fletching orientation. I am shooting it with the cock feather up right now. I am getting funny wearing on one fletching and have torn a couple of fletchings right off. Always the same fletching is wearing funny and being torn. I have only started to shoot the bow [ 50 shots about ] I am also getting a small bit of tail wagging in my arrows, I dont really know the proper term for this but I think someone will know what I mean. I am pretty new to the sport so any info would be really appreciated.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    14,161
    Cock feather up should be fine in theory, howevah, I hear the Whispers (I have one) are great for Blazers. I've shot quite a few times (several hundred) cock feather up and don't really notice any fletching wear but I do have some tailwagging but that might just be because I can't tune a bow worth a craps.
    Contact me or see my sales threads on predator camo.... etc. all.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,383
    I have my arrows fletched straight with a right offset. Works a lot better than my old ones which had a big helical to them. I noticed I was getting quite a bit of wear on my inside vane(cock vane up) So I moved my rest a small amount and it seems to be working great now.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    PC Beach,Florida
    Posts
    1,019

    Smile From CAP

    http://www.carolinaarcheryprod.com/tuning.03.html

    How Should I orient my Arrow Fletching? The answer depends on the type of nocks you have and the cable clearance problems you may encounter. Generally:

    If you have an arrow fletched to shoot cock feather down and the nock is fixed, turn the arrow over and shoot cock feather up.

    If you have tunable nocks, try it first with the cock feather out.

    If you see problems with fletching wear, try turning the cock feather to another position. If it is out, put it up and visa/versa.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    32,552
    If you are shooting the new style biscuit with the black bristles at the bootm and the brown ones all around then you need to shoot with the cock feather up. You dont want a fletch to go through the black bristles.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    510

    I shoot

    I shoot with the cock feather out. I have never had any problems, plus I don't have to change my index to use the same arrows out of my recurve...
    “When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race.”---H.G. Wells.

    06 PSE Pro Series Bruin SU
    Internature Trophy Hunter Recurve
    Jennings Model T... all left handed.

  7. #7
    definately go with blazers over longer fletching! I was having to get my arrows refletched almost weekly until I got the blazers.
    Living today like there's no tomorrow!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    28,152
    If your going to shoot the WB the cock vane needs to be shot UP only. My advice, dump the rest and go to a drop zone drop away-----it will cure 99.9% of your problems.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    (West) Michigan-Go Blue
    Posts
    6,424
    I agree with Dale, I had a whisker bis. and had the same problem ....I went to a shakey hunter drop away with better success....the whisker bis. is nice that your arrow wont fall off but alot of these drop aways now prevent arrows from falling off.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    11,474
    Nock your arrow and look at it from behind. I shoot cock feather up, but I have to rotate it some to get it just right with the offset fletching.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Posts
    5,313
    The new Wisker Biscuit (brown bristles) should be shot with the cock feather up and should not be wearing quality vanes. Again, the CAP web site has a list of very good vanes. Blazers work very well as do VaneTech, AAE Speed Flyte, etc., make sure that none of the vanes touch the black bristles (they are harder and will cause distortion of the vane hitting it.

    I like a straight off set of about 2* on my fletching. Put an extra drop of glue on the front of the vane.

    As far as a dropaway curing 99.9% I think that is a pile of crap, a dropaway must be timed for proper operation, has a string to get tangled on brush or break, in colder climents can freeze up (have seen this happen here in MI). Sounds to me that using quaility vanes and a properly tuned biscuit solves all the problem.

    I have hunted in every kind of weather you could imagine and have never had the biscuit fail but know of two cases that a dropaway has failed. I just don't want to take that chance!
    65# Hoyt Katera-Rip Cord rest, Reflex Buckskin-Whisker Biscuit rest
    Jim Fletcher FlatHead Release, HAA-OL-5000 sight,
    Winners Choice String and Cables
    GT Pro Hunters , SlickTrick125

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    28,152
    Quote Originally Posted by BingoFlyer
    The new Wisker Biscuit (brown bristles) should be shot with the cock feather up and should not be wearing quality vanes. Again, the CAP web site has a list of very good vanes. Blazers work very well as do VaneTech, AAE Speed Flyte, etc., make sure that none of the vanes touch the black bristles (they are harder and will cause distortion of the vane hitting it.

    I like a straight off set of about 2* on my fletching. Put an extra drop of glue on the front of the vane.

    As far as a dropaway curing 99.9% I think that is a pile of crap, a dropaway must be timed for proper operation, has a string to get tangled on brush or break, in colder climents can freeze up (have seen this happen here in MI). Sounds to me that using quaility vanes and a properly tuned biscuit solves all the problem.

    I have hunted in every kind of weather you could imagine and have never had the biscuit fail but know of two cases that a dropaway has failed. I just don't want to take that chance!
    I think I've said this before to you-------if you have no faith in the drop away then why are you shooting a compound bow that has a bigger failure rate?????? Our shop installs well over 500 drop away rests a year and the failure rate is no more than any two prong rest. I'm very sure in your expertise you have seen way more bow failures than rest failures. I've been shooting drop away rests for a while now and Michigan weather has had no effect on them.
    By the way I'll be in your town all next week
    Have a good day and a better hunt

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Posts
    5,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale_B1
    I think I've said this before to you-------if you have no faith in the drop away then why are you shooting a compound bow that has a bigger failure rate?????? Our shop installs well over 500 drop away rests a year and the failure rate is no more than any two prong rest. I'm very sure in your expertise you have seen way more bow failures than rest failures. I've been shooting drop away rests for a while now and Michigan weather has had no effect on them.
    By the way I'll be in your town all next week
    I have been in archery for 60 years and a bowhunter for 56 of them. I have seen one bow fail in that time (mine and it was a recurve) I have seen two dropaways fail and have heard of several more.

    How many Whisker Biscuits have you seen fail?

    I can understand a shop owner might want to install a dropaway over a WB (most cost more, they will be back for adjustments or repair) I just replace the biscuit every two or three years.

    In our hunting club we have 8 biscuit shooters and one prong shoot. two of the biscuit shooters switched because they had problems with their dropaway.
    65# Hoyt Katera-Rip Cord rest, Reflex Buckskin-Whisker Biscuit rest
    Jim Fletcher FlatHead Release, HAA-OL-5000 sight,
    Winners Choice String and Cables
    GT Pro Hunters , SlickTrick125

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    (West) Michigan-Go Blue
    Posts
    6,424
    I've hunted with both the whisker biscuit and the drop away (here in Michigan also) and I have never had a problem with the fall away!!!!!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    28,152
    Quote Originally Posted by BingoFlyer
    I have been in archery for 60 years and a bowhunter for 56 of them. I have seen one bow fail in that time (mine and it was a recurve) I have seen two dropaways fail and have heard of several more.

    How many Whisker Biscuits have you seen fail?

    I can understand a shop owner might want to install a dropaway over a WB (most cost more, they will be back for adjustments or repair) I just replace the biscuit every two or three years.

    In our hunting club we have 8 biscuit shooters and one prong shoot. two of the biscuit shooters switched because they had problems with their dropaway.
    I applaud you for your time in archery, but your perceived notion of drop away rests are out in left field. There is nothing wrong with people using the WB, they hold an arrow nice and they can be shot. But I see more negatives about them than drop away rests. You replace yours about every two years------Hmmmmmm I've never had to replace a drop away because it wore out.If they go out of adjustment it's because of the string and cables stretching not the fault of the rest-----in that case you adjust the bow or replace the string and cable(s) it isn't the fault of the rest. I use the drop zone on 2 different bows, set up hundreds of them and it has been flawless since I put them on, one has been on for over 2 years.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Posts
    5,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale_B1
    I applaud you for your time in archery, but your perceived notion of drop away rests are out in left field. There is nothing wrong with people using the WB, they hold an arrow nice and they can be shot. But I see more negatives about them than drop away rests. You replace yours about every two years------Hmmmmmm I've never had to replace a drop away because it wore out.If they go out of adjustment it's because of the string and cables stretching not the fault of the rest-----in that case you adjust the bow or replace the string and cable(s) it isn't the fault of the rest. I use the drop zone on 2 different bows, set up hundreds of them and it has been flawless since I put them on, one has been on for over 2 years.
    Just the biscuit not the rest, and I put a lot of arrows through it in three years. I'm sure the biscuit would last several more years but I'm very particular about my equipment and may explain why I have had only one failure in 60 years.

    Jason; Both the failures where in freezing rain the first was a Zero Effect and the launcher(?) only raised part way and the arrow went under the deer, I'm not sure what the other was but it didn't drop at all and the arrow went high, we did recover that deer but was not easy.
    65# Hoyt Katera-Rip Cord rest, Reflex Buckskin-Whisker Biscuit rest
    Jim Fletcher FlatHead Release, HAA-OL-5000 sight,
    Winners Choice String and Cables
    GT Pro Hunters , SlickTrick125

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    28,152
    Quote Originally Posted by BingoFlyer
    Just the biscuit not the rest, and I put a lot of arrows through it in three years. I'm sure the biscuit would last several more years but I'm very particular about my equipment and may explain why I have had only one failure in 60 years.

    Jason; Both the failures where in freezing rain the first was a Zero Effect and the launcher(?) only raised part way and the arrow went under the deer, I'm not sure what the other was but it didn't drop at all and the arrow went high, we did recover that deer but was not easy.
    LMAO----in the heat of a shot on a deer blame it on the equipment not the hunter. I don't know of any person that will see all that happen when they are shooting at a deer. Sorry but I'm going to have to doubt it was the equipment. By the way in over 30 years of shooting bows-----I've never had a failure in a rest myself.
    My drop aways have thousands of shots through them, without a minutes trouble-------Muzzy is one I wouldn't use anyway because of the type of linkage, now that is one drop away I have seen trouble with, but not a reason to discount all of them because of it--------they hook up totally different than any other drop away rest out there.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    washigton,pa
    Posts
    50
    i am using vane tec with mine.cock vane up with slight off set.look from behind to get it set so that the other 2 vanes clear the black bristles.a good quality glue with a dab at each end of the vane and they do not come off.unless you hit the leg of your 3 d deer target. i know from experiance

  19. #19

    up

    I have had no problems w/ my WB, in fact I think it is the best hunting rest out there. I consistently shoot beyond 50 yards w/ it. Like they sadi, odd fletch up.
    Mathews Switchback XT and Darton Vapor 70# @ 28"Wisker Biscuit Rest, Sims stab.
    Viper Sights, Gold Tip arrows, NAP Spitfires/ Slick Tricks.

Similar Threads

  1. Fletching for a whisker biscuit?
    By Kimber7man in forum General Archery Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: September 4th, 2009, 04:01 PM
  2. whisker biscuit / fletching
    By timmothy in forum General Archery Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: September 28th, 2005, 08:37 PM
  3. whisker biscuit fletching?
    By bloodtrail1 in forum General Archery Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 6th, 2005, 01:01 PM
  4. Best fletching for Whisker Biscuit?
    By jeff swarthout in forum General Archery Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: March 24th, 2005, 09:40 PM
  5. Whisker Biscuit and fletching
    By ICOM in forum General Archery Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2004, 10:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •