Archery Talk Forum banner

Wisconsin Backpack Hunt

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  KRONIIK 
#1 ·
Im hoping my fellow wisconsinites or anyone can help me with this one. Im trying to find out the best places in Wisconsin for a backpack hunt, maybe a 2 day hunt. Ive looked into guided hunt costs in the state,and as expected its expensive...even more costly for 2 people to go. I know there isnt any mountains or anything like a Colorado hunt or something but this is something i would like to do. Thanks for your insight.

#2 ·
You live in the right spot...In Northeast WI there are thousands of acres of National Forest lands, along with paper company lands that are not accessible by motorized vehicle. They are also fantastic deer habitat. I would suggest getting a map, taking a couple scouting trips and finding a place to pack in for a hunt. There is plenty of land...Not so sure about the deer. Some areas are better than others, but the deer numbers are down throughout the state...especially on the public lands in the Northern and Northeastern part of the state.

#3 ·
Thank you for welcoming me aboard on my other post. Originally from illinois but have been here 15 years now...." lower part of northeastern" ( fond du lac). Thank you for replying and gopiving me an idea with practical,simply explained tips. Ive heard about the deer count going down, a little discouraging but it is what it is. As long as im enjoying the outdoors its all that matters. Thanks again!

#4 ·
Do it!
It would be a great adventure for the money. Yeah deer numbers are poor in the North, but they can still be found.
Keep trekking until you find sign, and hunt whatever's there; probably not reasonable to set it up as a "Booner or bust!"-type of hunt though.
The trip is the real trophy here.
A fat forkie would be icing on the cake.

Don't overlook the possibility of using a canoe or kayak to get you back in if the area you end up hunting is conducive to that.
You could get more gear in more easily, making for a far more comfortable camp.
I've never done that but always wanted to.

#5 ·
Absolutely man,thanks. You must be referring to the outfitter trip talking about money? id like to one day, and its a strong possibility with saving up accordingly. I'm blessed to have a wife who shares the same passion for archery and hunting....but it also means double the cost with whatever we want to do. But it will definitely be worth it no doubt. I will strongly consider the kayak option, so long as its convenient...and I might have to make that work with the state forest we are looking into. It also just so happens that my wife grew up camping in the state forest I'm talking about, so this gives us some familiarity to the landscape, its cool to watch everything fall into place. That's the cool thing about doing the backpack hunt too, it will only cost gas money and a few other essentials obviously. I'm not against outfitters at all, but its nice to know I can do it on my own, learn from the experiences to set up a successful hunt...and like you said that's just icing on the cake. I encourage you too DO IT! whether it be an outfitter or a self-planned backpack hike-n-hunt trip. Don't let anything stand in your way. I wont lie man, I'm a bit of a novice to all of this. I sat around work ( Mercury Marine) for over 3 years looking at cabelas and hunting magazines before getting up enough courage to go hunting. I joined an archery club, received good friends and help to get started...I never did it because I didn't know if I could, DONT LET YOU GET IN YOUR WAY !

#6 ·
Yeah, DIY hunts are usually much cheaper than guided/outfitted hunts. They can often be much more fulfilling as well.
Effort in/rewards out type of thing.
Now that's not to say that a good guided hunt won't be a great adventure nor worth every cent, but having some DIY experience under your belt will only make that dream hunt even more rewarding in so many ways when the opportunity finally arises.

I actually do have a fair amount of camping and big game hunting experience in five States for six species, (as well as some big-game guiding experience in Montana), but I've never actually done a canoe/kayak hunt, just float trips trout fishing.
That is what I meant.

I'd focus on getting your camping/woodcraft skills and equipment really nailed down, especially with your wife as a partner. It's great that she's done the camping thing before and is on board with it with you.

Once you're both really comfortable camping, even in foul weather, you'll have the confidence to hunt just about anything anywhere you can gain access, and the world will become your oyster for good cheap hunting opportunities.

Dang it; now you've got me half-planning next Fall's float trip for wilderness deer!

#7 ·
Lol. Absolutely sir. Thanks again! And i shouldnt of assumed that you never went on your own hunt. Guess i was just be encouraging right back. Sounds like a good plan, get using to camping and the lay of the land, then get-r-done

#10 ·
You were encouraging!

It's been years since I've seriously considered putting together a camping-type hunt in Wisconsin, and this thread of yours has me thinking hard about it again.
I've killed a lot of deer in the North years past but it was always day hunts out of permanent camps.
Years ago my cousin and I had a 4-day backpack trip planned into the Chequamegon National Forest, but plans fell through at the last minute. That was before all the wolves, etc.
I bet it would have been epic.

This year I might try the Lower Wisconsin River islands as GR82DRV suggested, but first I need to round up a good hunting partner who's very familiar with canoeing/boating/camping.
I know just enough to get myself drowned; the Wisconsin is no river to fool around with.

I'd go after mosquito season; they'd probably kill you in those backwaters in September.

#8 ·
I live and hunt here on my own acreage in Central Wisconsin. For many years prior I hunted on very small local public parcels adjoining some great private deer habitat. (The deer can't tell the difference.) Up north there is lots of land, but few deer. Here in the central state you'll see more targets for sure. If you really want to up your odds of seeing nice deer that's where I'd go. On the other hand, camping on sight is not always so easy with small parcels.

There are a lot of 10 to 100 acre public parcels that are isolated or otherwise overlooked by many hunters. If you want to pitch a camp with some solitude you might want to consider canoe access to public or FCL properties such as islands along the Wisconsin River that are otherwise not so easy to reach. You'd have to do some homework though before you move forward. I'd suggest some friendly discussions (in person) with local DNR foresters for ideas. Years ago I had a close friend in that position and you can't imagine how much information he had! Offer to take him out for lunch and see what happens...

Good luck!

#9 ·
Thank you so much for your insight. I will definitely spark up a conversation with a DNR forester. This canoe idea keeps getting recommended, sounds like something i should do to better my chances....and yes, homework for sure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.