Thread: Beginner archer

Wink Beginner archer

Hey yall! I was just wondering if yall kno of some good ol' exersizes to strenghten the arms. Sometimes I struggle to pull my bow but I think its because I'm still new to this.

push ups are a great way to strengthen you upper body. Start on your knees if you have to and work your way to your feet.
    My sponsors: Mathews, Sure Loc, Nikon, Easton, Muzzy, Carter, Morrell, Trophy Taker, Dead in Stabalizers
    Shoot Straight and Have Fun Doing it

I had the same problem, I tried and tried, it did not get any easier with practice.. so I got my limb weight backed off some, from 40 back down to 35...For some reason guys think you have to pull a lot of weight..I don't..35# is perfect for me, well for 3D that is.. i have to pull at least 40 for hunting to be legal. Hang in there.. it's a great sport!

I agree that you don't necessarily have to pull a lot of weight to be effective, although I know some guys who say a bow performs better when it's set at a higher weight. I've been told to make sure that you are using your back muscles and not just your arms when you draw. If you want to draw more weight, you might want to consider backing the weight down and gradually increasing it each week until you are up to your desired weight.

When I started shooting a year and a half ago I was only pulling like 25 pounds. I have a bad neck. I shoot every day and over time I went up. I know pull 39 with my target and am about to go up to 43 with my 3D/hunting bow. It will come. Just shoot a lot and it will come. There is no need to pull a lot if you are shooting target.

Good luck!

My wife started out only able to pull 20lbs, so each day she would shoot 20 to 25 arrows and every other day I would crank it up a half turn in a month she was pulling 30lbs maxed on her parker buckshot. Gonna send it in for the limb upgrade to 40lbs since she likes it so much.
    Optifade D350 50lb
    Blackops Insanity 50lb
    Optifade Insanity 60lb
    All with HHA OL5519 and Limbdriver Pro V
    Parker Gale Force

Quote Originally Posted by 3dmama
    push ups are a great way to strengthen you upper body. Start on your knees if you have to and work your way to your feet.
    Push ups have always been hard for me. Its funny though because I do Martial Arts and you would think I would be able to do them but I have a bad back. I would like to be able to do them on my feet but like you said, work up to them. Thats the best way anyway! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JAG
    I had the same problem, I tried and tried, it did not get any easier with practice.. so I got my limb weight backed off some, from 40 back down to 35...For some reason guys think you have to pull a lot of weight..I don't..35# is perfect for me, well for 3D that is.. i have to pull at least 40 for hunting to be legal. Hang in there.. it's a great sport!
    I'm not too sure what weight that I'm pulling but I know more or less that it is around 40. My bow can go up to 60 but I don't really think that I'm going to pull that anytime soon. Hehe. Too much for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy1
    I agree that you don't necessarily have to pull a lot of weight to be effective, although I know some guys who say a bow performs better when it's set at a higher weight. I've been told to make sure that you are using your back muscles and not just your arms when you draw. If you want to draw more weight, you might want to consider backing the weight down and gradually increasing it each week until you are up to your desired weight.
    Yes of course. I guess I just thought that the arms are doing all the work but no, the back as well. I am certainly going to increase little by little on the weight! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Bow
    When I started shooting a year and a half ago I was only pulling like 25 pounds. I have a bad neck. I shoot every day and over time I went up. I know pull 39 with my target and am about to go up to 43 with my 3D/hunting bow. It will come. Just shoot a lot and it will come. There is no need to pull a lot if you are shooting target.

Good luck!
    I never have had to use my arms in sports as much till now. Most of the sports I did needed use of the legs rather than the upper body. So thats pretty much why I'm struggling. But like your saying, shoot, shoot, shoot! Thats what I need to do for sure! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by hrchdog
    My wife started out only able to pull 20lbs, so each day she would shoot 20 to 25 arrows and every other day I would crank it up a half turn in a month she was pulling 30lbs maxed on her parker buckshot. Gonna send it in for the limb upgrade to 40lbs since she likes it so much.
    My bow is a bowtech and it only goes down to 29lbs. Maybe I'm just pulling too much at around 40lbs so I guess I should lower it and then raise it up. Thanks!