Archery Talk Forum banner

jerky making and what seasoning

303 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  beach 
#1 ·
i probably will get hammered for this question because it has already been asked and addressed. kind of like hunting boots but i would have never looked at the brands i wear without someone posing the same old question.

i raise livestock and have accumulated in my chest freezer lots of back straps roast steaks etc (all burger/sausage gone, whether it is elk,deer,porcine,bovine etc kids are in college and they get card blanch anything that is ground). some of this meat is a few yrs old but still maybe from the best bovine u have ever had to a 2 1/5 yr old half rack that i shot twice. some has been frozen for 3 yrs. i do not like to waste anything. i take some to a sharing kitchen at church but usually i send the better stuff on top. i do not even want to talk about the amount of trout, catfish,walleye,perch, or GOD's sweetish fish bluegills. these are all frozen in water. they are fine. the rest of this meat is at the bottom and i am going to clean out. i am going to make sausage and jerky. previously have made excellent jerky/sausage to share with staff and family and no complaints except compliments. but it has been awhile and i used recipes passed to me from clients that were not hard but took a lot of effort. friend just made jerky and it was with high mountain jerky seasoning,2 hrs in the smoker at 205 degrees. i was dumbfounded how good. obviously can repeat his recipe but we hunt together and would hate to eat the same old thing out west for 10 days. are there any other seasoning mixes that are tried and proven. i do not mind mixing a recipe up just looking for repeat ability, i got a lot to do. i also hate going to store to buy a bunch of cheap hamburger or pork loin with fat on it to mix with super lean meat. if i wanted that flavor it is a no brainer. prefer to have well seasoned lean meat that does not turn rancid if the temp goes above 50'. thanks beach

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.