a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Mathews Sales vs. Bowtech Sales......

Hybrid View

Mathews Sales vs. Bowtech Sales......

First off...this is not meant to be a divisive thread. I have shot both of these bows, but currently shoot neither of them, so I don't have a "dog in the hunt."

Not taking anything away from Hoyt, PSE, or any other company out there, but Mathews was the top-dog as far as sales were concerned for several years running, and may still be...I just dont know.

For those who are in "the know", what kind of damage did Bowtech entering the scene so aggresively do to Mathews sales? I know it made a dent for sure. Probably 75% (pulled that stat right out of my arse, but probably on the low side) of Bowtech owners have owned a Mathews at one time or another, yet no longer do, simply because Bowtech makes such a fine shooter as well.

Only Mathews and Botech know and I'm sure they aren't telling. I doubt either one of them is hurting for sales.
    Pete

" They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." -- The last words of Union Army General John Sedgewick before being killed by a Confederate sharp-shooter in the opening battles of Spotsylvania.

I have heard from alot of people that PSE leads everyone in total sales

To my knowledge, all of the bow manufacturers are private companies. I don't think any of them publish financial or sales information, so any answers would be speculation.

That said, I'd personally speculate that PSE sells more bows than anyone. And I suspect that Hoyt and Mathews are numbers 2 and 3, but I'm not sure in which order.

I suspect that BowTech and Martin are next.....but who knows?

Good thread!
    Always Strive to do What is Right
    PM me if you'd like to own your own archery store in Huntsville, AL
    BEST Zenit Riser
    W&W Limbs
    REDHDCHARM string loop material

Top Dog????

I'd have to see the actual numbers to believe that. PSE probably sells more bows per year. I think Bowtech has a long ways to climb before they catch the "Big 3".

Pse

I would say pse might be on top cause they appeal to all hunters. Not every guy wants to drop 700 bucks on a new Mathews, HOyt or BT. Pse has 2-300 hundred dollar bows that many guys pick up.

Well, certainly a relatively young company like Mathews couldn't possible have sold as many bows as Bear, PSE, Hoyt, or any of the other long-established companies. What I meant by "Top Dog" (for lack of a better term) was based-on how many Mathews you saw throughout the late nineties into the 2000's if you went to any major tournament, as compared to other bows you saw there. I remember times when at an ASA shoot, I could literally look around and see a Mathews bow in 8 out of every 10 hands! I havent been to an ASA shoot in a while, so I suspect the bow variety has changed considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by 1cbr_guy
    Well, certainly a relatively young company like Mathews couldn't possible have sold as many bows as Bear, PSE, Hoyt, or any of the other long-established companies. What I meant by "Top Dog" (for lack of a better term) was based-on how many Mathews you saw throughout the late nineties into the 2000's if you went to any major tournament, as compared to other bows you saw there. I remember times when at an ASA shoot, I could literally look around and see a Mathews bow in 8 out of every 10 hands! I havent been to an ASA shoot in a while, so I suspect the bow variety has changed considerably.
    I havent' been to an ASA shoot either but I'll bet you don't see too much difference. It's funny what contingency money will do! At our local shoots Hoyt, and Mathews still are the majority of weapons with a few Bowtechs, some PSEs, and others.

At the Pittsburgh shoot Hoyt and Mathews were BY FAR the most most prevalent bows there.
    Pete

" They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." -- The last words of Union Army General John Sedgewick before being killed by a Confederate sharp-shooter in the opening battles of Spotsylvania.

Mathews outsells Hoyt, Bowtech and PSE out the bow shops combined over here

now what people buy out of cabela's and what not...who knows
    Don't Just Feel Good...FEEL GOD!!!

If I had to guess on purely the number of bows sold last year (regardless of cost and type)... I think the total sales leaders would be in this order (starting with the highest unit sales numbers) from m limited amount of knowedge :

#1 - PSE (including AR/Browning)
    #2 - Hoyt (including Reflex)
    #3 - Bowtech (including Diamond)
    #4 - Mathews (do not have a box store brand.... maybe next year w/McPherson ????)
    #5 - Martin/Rytera (they could be higher.... I dunno)
    #6 - Parker

Everyone else is a big ?????

I see PSE's and Martins in alot of different box stores including Dick's, Walmart... even places that Reflex and Diamonds are not sold....

I think there are 10 times more "Jimmy Bob's" out there who'd buy a $200 PSE Nova LONG before they would drop $400 on a "mid range" bow. They save their $$ up for Remington 700 series rifles.

-ZA
    BLACK WIDOW PSAII RECURVE - "DARK HEART" - 54# @ 28"
    BOWTECH CAPTAIN - 70# @ 29"

GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!
    ZA's UCR's (Utility Constrictor Ropes)

Every year its the same thing. Youll see the market flood with one bow having what seems to be a lil better success than another. Take the XT. Ive got a local dealer who sells both the tech and the mathews, personally shoots hoyt. He will tell you that the matts are flyin out and he cant move the techs. And then you look on the net on various for sale forums or wanted forums that all of a sudden, everybody wants the new bow. Next thing you see, alot of those same folks are 6 months later, tryin to sell or atleast listing these same bows for sale. I believe that for the most part, most folks want to walk into camp or step up to that lil peg on the range with the latest craze. Personally i shoot the allegiance and like it. I would love to shoot the xt a lil bit and see what all the hype is about. But im not gonna run out and dump a grand into a bow that will be obselete in a yr and a half. As far as all time sales. You cant possibly figure mathews or bowtech into this equation just yet. You wouldnt throw the evotech in against mathews, theyve just hit the mainstream. Ofcourse PSE would be up there, how long have they been around, same with bear, hoyt, pearson, martin. Im sure mathews and bowtech are gaining some serious ground, and it shouldnt take long to get em to the top. Where the real numbers ly are in resales. If there was a way to get a decently accurate number on customers who have purchased and resold any certain product, or even purchased and traded for the competitors product. That would be a lil more telling in my opinion.

Who knows in a one year period. I would bet mathews sells more at the pro shop but I don't know when you throw diamond in the mix. I would agree with pse but that wasn't the question

I don't know who sells the most but I bet blowtech and pse have the most warranty issues.

I have seen a drastic move away from pse this year because of poor design and one of the local blowtech/hoyt dealer told me hoyt is out selling blowtech by a far margin in his store.
    John 3:16
    Matrix 380

As far as I know, there are some 2.5 million archers in the USA.
    But there are postings in AT about lack of attendence in competitions and Pro Shops closing

AT is the largest archery site in the world - but still below 50,000 members. So, AT and competitions are not representative of the average Joe Hunter.

What I mean is that the big box movers (and the Internet) are the real volume sellers - and the brands that sell through them are the largest sellers.
    Unbelievable! every time I shoot, the X moves!

Martin Scepter V - The new kid in the block
    Rytera BulletX Nitrous
    Hoyt ProTec LX - Proudly resting in my office wall!

I'll bet one is higher than the other.
    Robbys Sales ... Great prices on Mathews, Elite, and Bowtech ... Mt. Airy, NC (336) 786-8017
    Vapor Trail Archery
    Elite GT-500 Next G1 Elite Energy 35 Black Elite Pure Cosmic Orange

Quote Originally Posted by sagecreek
    I'll bet you a crispy which one I think it is.
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

Quote Originally Posted by sagecreek
    I'll bet one sells more bows than the other

Quote Originally Posted by 1cbr_guy
    Not taking anything away from Hoyt, PSE, or any other company out there, but Mathews was the top-dog as far as sales were concerned for several years running, and may still be...I just dont know.
    Never....

Hoyt sells lots of bows outside of North America too, more than all of the others combined I bet.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by DFArcher
    Never....

Hoyt sells lots of bows outside of North America too, more than all of the others combined I bet.
    Great point...I bet you're right.
    Always Strive to do What is Right
    PM me if you'd like to own your own archery store in Huntsville, AL
    BEST Zenit Riser
    W&W Limbs
    REDHDCHARM string loop material