Archery Talk Forum banner

Torque Tuning revisited

43K views 116 replies 47 participants last post by  lees 
#1 ·
What bows I have set up shoot great. I can't see changing them, BUT I have a new bow in the process of setting up so it got the call. Understand, this bow is not tuned in any manner other than center shot eye balled and rest and nocking point set with levels. No back bars and only a 30" stabilizer with 2 3/4 oz on the end. The bow would wobble if I wasn't careful.....

Enter Tim Gillingham's Torque Tuning and Jesse Broadwater's instructions. Confusing and then not confusing.

Jesse's Instructions; A, sight bow in....then draw back and troque bow and shoot. If the arrow hits the way the stabilizer was pointing when torqued, the rest needs to come back. If it goes opposite it needs to go forward...Really that simple.

Hey, this is a lot of the best shooting you can put forth, moving the rest and checking that it's right. To cut down on some of the shooting I torqued the bow right (stabilizer pointing right - arrow closest to the cables).

I started out with the rest all the way back, launch arm/arrow contact to deepest of the riser grip, 1.800".
By Jesse's instructions, if the arrow hits opposite of the torque the rest needs to go forward.......
I used a bolt through the sight mount so give a consistent gaging....
Pictures show the results. Arrow in X ring is the Qualifying arrow which was shot for each move of the arrow rest.
It was windy with overcast skies and bright sunshine. At times I had to wait for the wind to die down.
If I thought the wind caught a arrow or shoved me I reshot. I reshot sometimes to believe what I was seeing.
The last two target pictures is torqueing right and left with the rest as given.
I started sometime around when my wife went to town, 11:00 am, and I was still proving/testing after she got home, 4:00 pm.
Wore out, I'll recheck the last setting again tomorrow.
Bolt through mount. Rest as far back as it would go and as far forward as it would go.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: battyhelo1969
#3 ·
This is full torque both directions at 40yds:
Asphalt

Rest full forward for me as well.
Biggest improvement I'm seeing is on hills and I have a theory about that.
I feel torque tuning is like creep tuning, you really only need it when you aren't shooting perfect shots.

Grant

#4 ·
Impressive, Grant....

#5 ·
Picture is turned on it's left side. Still happy as can be with that though. Not sure on the two arrival angles although there was a little wind and the bale is a bit shot out.
I have thoughts about how this relates to Hill that I'll do a separate post about.

Grant

#6 ·
You see those arrows in my target bag? I'd have to stop to see where the arrow was actually at. Nocks pointing this way and that way.

#8 ·
You don't torque the bow that much. Use common sense. I was using a 30" stab and the end was maybe 3" over.

#9 ·
I wouldn't do it on a bow with very high let off while sitting in the valley. My sight was pointing at the edge of the 50cm at 40yds, that is how much torque there was.
Sonny, try it with a bareshaft at 20....

Grant

#11 ·
It looks like the rest ended up over your wrist. If so that is about the same place that Frank Perison used to talk about placing the rest as it was the most Torque neutral for him

reed

#13 ·
I bought the hamskea overdraw to play with this. Didn't need it, ended up rest full forward and Hogg father sight in three notches.
Started all the way out on sight and 3/4 travel aft on rest. Got a newer version of the same bow and started with these settings, no adjustment needed. Pretty cool concept.

#14 ·
Interesting. I started over on my bow setup a few months ago. Previously, I had the rest fully forward (no science to it, that's just where I started when I put it on and I never moved it). When I set up this time I started with it fully back assuming that would be a more forgiving location. I haven't done this torque test yet to verify, but I've been feeling like the bow is more critical right now. I assumed that it was in my head because it's supposed to be more forgiving set further back. I need to really test this fully now because it may not be in my head after all.

D

#15 ·
dk, this torque tuning depends on many things, bow, rest, arrow, sight location, and maybe more. Like above, I've two bows that just plain like the rest set far back. One, the UltraTec, I had the standard QuikTune farther back than it is now and it still shot great. Now, I have two bows that like the rest forward, one more than the other it seems. Amazing though is watching the spread come down so that torqued either way the arrow hits the X ring.

#16 ·
I'm going to do the full test to see what my bow likes. The interesting thing about this thread is that several of you guys have some bows that actually have less impact from torque when the rest is forward. All of the explanations I've read concerning torque tuning explain why there is less effect from torque when the rest is further back. My feeling that my bow is actually more critical since I moved the rest back may not just be in my head since you guys have bows where there is less torque effect with the rest forward. Time to do a real test with my setup and see what I find...

D

#18 ·
I started with 15 yards, but sure of my arrows staying on the target. I then moved to 20 yards for testing/moving the arrow rest.

#20 ·
all the tuning, bareshaft, creep, french and torque tuning further is better, longest possible distance you can shoot accurately.
I am doing all the tuning at 50 meters with a 1/2" painter tape (I am not saying I hit that tape all the time :\ but pretty close), nock tuning 70-80.

#22 ·
See other of Torque Tuning. Noted is moving the sight in and out, but moving the rest well seems to give the most effect.

#29 ·
Does the sight extension follow the same adjustment system?

In other words Torque the Stab Left, shot hits left. Then sight extension is moved back.

#31 ·
I haven't found it this way in regards to moving the rest. What I notice when I do this is the one normal arrow and one torqued arrow grouping will widen back out if you go too far in one direction, but I haven't seen them cross over sides like with a rest.

#30 ·
Neither Tim or Jesse gave note of the sight length when torqueing. I was just happy with what I found.

#32 ·
OK

I spent several hrs working on this today. After this session I was left a little confused.

No doubt I was able to find the sweet spot by moving the rest all that way back and the all there way forward. And the of course massaging it around.

Here is why I am confused. On my bow I found that the sweet spot was actually almost all the way forward, Yet if you look at the freakshow rest and the hamskea overdraw clearly the problem they had was the ability to move the rest back not forward. Additionally it sounds like a few of you guys ended up with the rest in a similar position as mine.

There was no time today to play with the sight extension.

For reference Im shooting:

Bow tech Insanity CPX

#33 ·
What length arrows and what is your draw length?

On longer arrows, I've found I need the rest a little further forward than with shorter ones. Each bow can be different too. Different flex points in the risers and also how far back the limbs come.

On the older Pro Elites, Jesse noted needing the rest much further back than on the Vantage Elites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.