Archery Talk Forum banner

make a wish foundation/ peta

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Dreamer1 
#1 ·
I had heard at the ibo worldchampionship that peta had threatned and forced make a wish to stop sending the terminally ill on hunting and fishing trips. Is this true,has anyone else heard this crap. I heard that they had went to desperate measures that really shows their *****.

#2 ·
I think it happened years ago. In 1996 animal rights groups and do-gooders from Hollyweird criticized a kid named Eric Ness for wanting to go bear hunting in Alaska. That effectively ended Make-A-Wish's support of hunting trips. They do sponsor fishing trips still. Make-A-Wish should not be criticized for this. They were unable to protect kids from the protests of the anti's and it detracted from their overall mission...which still helps hundreds of kids. The real blaim lies in the unsensitivity of anti groups.

Here's and article on the matter.. http://espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/columns/schara_ron/1435751.html

#4 ·
AKDoug said:
I think it happened years ago. In 1996 animal rights groups and do-gooders from Hollyweird criticized a kid named Eric Ness for wanting to go bear hunting in Alaska. That effectively ended Make-A-Wish's support of hunting trips. They do sponsor fishing trips still. Make-A-Wish should not be criticized for this. They were unable to protect kids from the protests of the anti's and it detracted from their overall mission...which still helps hundreds of kids. The real blaim lies in the unsensitivity of anti groups.

Here's and article on the matter.. http://espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/columns/schara_ron/1435751.html
If you want to contribute money for terminall ill children to go on hunting trips check out http://www.huntofalifetime.org/

#5 ·
I do think there is significant truth to this matter.

Nevertheless, I'm not about to be critical of make a wish. They are so exposed to the public spotlight that they need to avoid contraversy, and some loudmouth groups are going to make sure there is contraversy if Make a Wish sends kids on hunts.

I blame PETA and similar groups. With regard to Make a Wish....there is no doubt in my mind that the good deeds they perform far outweigh any negative issues associated with them.

I remain a very strong supporter....financially and morally.:)

#6 ·
Recordkeeper said:
I do think there is significant truth to this matter.

Nevertheless, I'm not about to be critical of make a wish. They are so exposed to the public spotlight that they need to avoid contraversy, and some loudmouth groups are going to make sure there is contraversy if Make a Wish sends kids on hunts.

I blame PETA and similar groups. With regard to Make a Wish....there is no doubt in my mind that the good deeds they perform far outweigh any negative issues associated with them.

I remain a very strong supporter....financially and morally.:)
RK . . . this is very true. After the Alaskan Bear hunt the Make-a-Wish Foundation formally announced they would no longer provide hunting opportunities to terminally ill children. Because of PETA, the Make-a-Wish Foundation and the terminally ill children suffer. PETA put Make-a-wish in a bad situation. It stinks.

#9 ·
From what I heard and read, Make a Wish Foundation NEVER sent a kid on a hunting trip.
Thats why these organizations were developed and created, specificly for terminally ill children who wanted to hunt.

#10 ·
I blame Make a Wish for giving into peta.A childs dream is his to decide as long is it can be done in a safe manner.I stopped give to Make a Wish when this was brought out to the public.

#11 ·
Mr. October said:
If you want to contribute money for terminall ill children to go on hunting trips check out http://www.huntofalifetime.org/

I had a cousin who fought through a bout of brain cancer and got to do the Hunt of a Lifetime. He chose to do Alaskan Moose. The Hunt of A Lifetime org is an absolutely fabulous organization. If anyone ever feels the calling to donate money to a worthy cause, they would be at the top of my list.

Yes, it is sad that Make a Wish caved to PETA, but let us not forget the Make a Wish org does help a lot of kids who have gone through more than any of us could bear. If a child wants to do a hunt, then they just have to go through a different organization is all. I urge everyone to take a look at the website link that Mr. October posted.

#13 ·
clinometer said:
Catch-a-Dream also fills in the gap that Make-a-Wish no longer can fill. In fact, they were a featured charity on Dream Season last night.
Hi Everyone,

Next week's episode of Dream Season is going to be a hunt with Michael. His Dream was to hunt with Mark & Terry Drury and he was granted his "Dream" by CatchADream.org

If you have any questions about it at all, feel free to give "Marty" with Catch A Dream a call. The teams really cranked it up and raised a lot of money that went to a fabulous cause. I knocked off 18" of pony-tail and that went to Locks-Of-Love, but I could not get anyone who was interested in taking my beard....????

Michael's hunt was great. Well worth watching next week... all 3x's it airs!!

Thanks for watching,

Scott & Kimberly:wink:
Team Texas
Dream Season 3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.