Thread: Do Lithium batteries leak?

Houston, Texas but hunt the UP of Michigan too

Do Lithium batteries leak?

Do Lithium batteries leak? I pull all my batteries out of my electronic gear as I have had Alkaline batteries leak and ruin flashlights and other gear. However, I have changed to using Lithium batteries for my radios, GPS, flashlights and such but I was wondering if I have to worry about the Lithium batteries leaking anything.

Also what about the rechargeable kind of batteries. I have not used these, but I might unless they can leak. How do the rechargeable hold up to cold temps?

Thanks, Ranchdog

ttt

Thanks

to the top one more time. Anyone?

There may be new technology out there, but rechargable batteries are usually Ni-Cad (Nickle cadmium) and were the ones famous for losing life as you recharged them (especially if you didn't completely discharge them before recharging). Cell phones have forced battery technology to new technologies. I haven't personally had a problem with litium-ion batteries leaking, but I'm just one guy.
    Welcome to the Jungle!

At work I go through about 100 lithium 123 batteries a year. All are used in SureFire or StreamLight flashlights. Iíve never had a problem with them leaking or any type of corrosion. The only two downfalls to the lithium batteries are cost and battery life. This website, http://www.mcmaster.com/ has a lot of info if you're interested.

Lithium are expensive and don't last long. NiCad batts will and do develope a memory if not fully drained before recharging.

Battery technology will not get better IMO. There is no $$$$ in making a battery that lasts a long long time. Best bet is AA with LED. Lighting is a bit lacking but the life is good.

I always thought lithium batteries lasted longer than alkaline. I thought thatís why they cost more. What is the advantage of lithium over alkaline if they cost more and donít last very long?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley
    I always thought lithium batteries lasted longer than alkaline. I thought thatís why they cost more. What is the advantage of lithium over alkaline if they cost more and donít last very long?
    I could be mistaken but I think the Lithium type are used for the "HIGH POWER" lamps. They will deliver a bit more "poop" to the load thus making it brighter. IE Camera Flash.

I have a xenon bulb flashlight that is very small and bright as heck, but the Lithium batt is dies quick and is expensive.