Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serving Nockset Tieing and D-Loops

Serving Nockset Tieing and D-Loops

I was contacted by kenn1320 with a question on serving nocksets and D-loops. This topic has been discussed here before, but I thought I would start a new thread on the subject.

I always use serving nocksets in conjunction with D-loops. I feel this is the best of both worlds. On my hunting bows, I use a serving nockset on top only and a eliminator cushion button under or a small electrical grommet.

My center serving is .022 Brownell Diamondback. I use .026 Brownell Crown serving for my nocksets. In addition to position the arrow's nocking point, nocksets can be use for a number of other things, such as tieing in kisser buttons, rest pull ropes on drop-aways and peep sight slip collars.
    Little Jon Archery Products
    Bowstring Jig and Serving Winders
    BCY String Material distributor, Bowstring making and tuning Phone Orders 800-437-9145

In this picture I have already determined the nock position. I have clamped a set of hemostats to the string to hold the position of the nock. I start the nockset by wrapping the serving around the string and crossing like the beginning of a square knot and then tighten.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Deezlin; August 26th, 2006 at 02:33 PM.
    BCY String Material distributor, Bowstring making and tuning Phone Orders 800-437-9145

After the first knot is positioned and tightened. I wrap the loose ends around the string and cross and then tighten the next knot opposite to the first. I will do this for 10 times to the lower end of the nockset and then 4 times to the top.

After I have completed 10 knots, terminated the lower set by tying a square knot and then will cut off the ends and melt the end and knot together.

I remove the hemastats and complete the top serving nockset. I allow about a total of 1/32 to maybe a 1/16 of clearance between the nocksets and the nock. This avoids nock pinch at full draw and does not seem to hurt arruracy.

This is the completed upper and lower nocksets.

D-Loop

I have completed tying in my D-loop. I melt the first ball on the rope and then wax the rope before beginning. I am left handed and if the loop looks backwards too you, it probably is. I do not hold my release tilted too much and I can see little importance as to which is tied which way. But, it is important to tie the knots opposite to each other.

To take up slack in the D-loop and tighten it. I insert a pair of needle nose pliers to open the loop.

Then I open the pliers with both hands to tighten the D-loop.

This is the completed D-loop. Now, may people feel the nockset should be equal is size so the release will be behind the nock. However, in actuality, you are pulling slightly up on the D-loop at full draw. IMO, the release is more behind the nock here than if the nocksets had been equal.

One other note, I use micro-adjustable rests. With a drop-away, I set the nock square to the rest. With a blade rest or non drop-aways, I usually set the nock about 1/8" high. I very rarely move the nocksets once they are tied. If you had to you can try to thread them down or up the center serving, sometimes this works. Normally though, I only make tuning adjustments at the cables or rest for eleveation.

Deezlin,

That is exactly how I do mine and it works great. Nice job on the visual for those who have not tried this yet. Unless something drastic changes in equipment, there is no reason to use another method than you have shown here.

Quote Originally Posted by matforme
    Deezlin,

That is exactly how I do mine and it works great. Nice job on the visual for those who have not tried this yet. Unless something drastic changes in equipment, there is no reason to use another method than you have shown here.

thank you Deezlin.
    Excellent photo-documentation.

The hemostat is a nice touch.
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

alanlui@comcast.net

Awesome

Now that is a quality post. This is exactally why I joined this site. I want to learn as much about archery as possible. I get so sick and tired of all the bashing that goes on here sometimes though, it really takes away from what this forum should really be about. Deezlin, that is what I call a good quality thread and an awesome contibution to this site. Thanks!!

I will use the hemostat trick

You might like to try this. File a groove near the end of the pliers to help get a good lock on the loop.
    " Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end "

www.downeastarchery.homestead.com/DEAC.html

Great post, thank you very much.

Maybe a picture of how to tie a D-loop would make this thread perfect!!!
    Archery is JUST elevation and windage

Don't run, you'll only die tired---U.S. Army Sniper
    SCOUTS OUT.

ttt

Quote Originally Posted by Deezlin
    Now, may people feel the nockset should be equal is size so the release will be behind the nock.
    Yes, that's what I thought..... I did mine equal in size. I will try more on bottom and less on top next time.
    Very good info and photos.
    Thanks,

A few people have asked about how to get the serving tight. This is one way I have used and it works great.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=375752

Quote Originally Posted by Deezlin
    After the first knot is positioned and tightened. I wrap the loose ends around the string and cross and then tighten the next knot opposite to the first. I will do this for 10 times to the lower end of the nockset and then 4 times to the top.

What's the reasoning behind doing more knots at the bottom vs. the top? This is very similar to how I've been doing mine for a while now...great info...and great post Deezlin.

Ben

Thanks Deezlin! Great Post. I am going to try this weekend.

CT

Quote Originally Posted by buckfeverben
    What's the reasoning behind doing more knots at the bottom vs. the top? This is very similar to how I've been doing mine for a while now...great info...and great post Deezlin.

Ben
    Hello Ben:

It changes the center of force
    for the d-loop.

The hook on your release will always find the "middle point"
    of the d-loop by itself.

If the bottom knot is a little bigger,
    it will put the nock of the arrow slightly above the "middle point"
    of the d-loop.

This results in a slightly "down" pressure
    on the arrow against the arrow rest.

Folks who do the larger
    knot on the bottom of the nock
    inside a d-loop also feel that it
    helps the shooter to apply the pulling force more
    directly behind the arrow.

It's how I always do mine, as well.
    Deezlin just takes better pictures, than I do.
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

alanlui@comcast.net

d loop

But, it is important to tie the knots opposite to each other
    What is the reason for the opposite knots? I have always seen the knots on the same side. I may need to change my d loop

If you put the knots on the same side the D-Loop tends to rotate. This will give you peep alignment problems.

Can someone explain how this is better than the "pro shops" and people that just tie a d-loop with no nocksets. I think i know but i would like one of the pro's to explain it

Quote Originally Posted by nutcase
    Can someone explain how this is better than the "pro shops" and people that just tie a d-loop with no nocksets. I think i know but i would like one of the pro's to explain it
    This is to avoid nock pinch and to keep a reference, incase you want to change the loop. If you notice, I am using a "G" nock which is rather small. These nock-sets also help make the loop wide and hook up easier.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast