a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Serving Nockset Tieing and D-Loops

Excellent how to, thank you for the visualizations, helps tremendously!

question

now those nock sets are not tied through the string do they slide up and down the string eventually ? does this have to be redone in the case of stretch ?
    The Anti P.E.T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LungKing
    now those nock sets are not tied through the string do they slide up and down the string eventually ? does this have to be redone in the case of stretch ?
    Those are called tied nocking points
    or tied nock sets.

After they are tied, just coat them with some superglue.

The tied nocking points
    form a "series of grooves"
    that mesh with the "grooves" in the center serving,
    just like a nut going up and down a bolt.

No slipping.
    Spins up and down the center serving.

Allows very fine adjustment.
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

alanlui@comcast.net

Great post, Deezlin'! I have been using this method for a year or longer and it does work great. Excellent visuals, man.

sorry if this seems completely silly but what is that sting material called and where do you get it? i want to be able to set up and tune my new bow when i get it instead of taking it somewhere and paying someone to do it for me.

The serving I use is called Crown serving for the nocksets. I use .026 dia. The Damondback serving I use on the center serving is .022. Now, I have never been able to "thread" the nockset up or down the string. There is probably a combination of factors which causes this. Probably, the difference in the materials and diameters and I tie these very tight. I never really want them to move so I have accomplished my goal.

Some people like to move the nock to get proper arrow flight. I usually am lazy and use the micro adjustment on my rest. If you want to dynamically determine your precise nock point, you could simple attach a loop and then after you have done your tuning remove one end and replace it with a nockset then remove the other end of the loop and add the other nockset.
    Little Jon Archery Products
    Bowstring Jig and Serving Winders
    BCY String Material distributor, Bowstring making and tuning Phone Orders 800-437-9145

cool

subscription added!

Where never there's word of a discouraged herd...

Thumbs up Kudos for you, Deezlin

Quote Originally Posted by Deezlin
    This is the completed D-loop. Now, may people feel the nockset should be equal is size so the release will be behind the nock. However, in actuality, you are pulling slightly up on the D-loop at full draw. IMO, the release is more behind the nock here than if the nocksets had been equal.

One other note, I use micro-adjustable rests. With a drop-away, I set the nock square to the rest. With a blade rest or non drop-aways, I usually set the nock about 1/8" high. I very rarely move the nocksets once they are tied. If you had to you can try to thread them down or up the center serving, sometimes this works. Normally though, I only make tuning adjustments at the cables or rest for eleveation.
    Very good documentation and photography. You deserve an A.T. Member of the Year for all your time and effort. At the top!

Can you explain what causes this: "However, in actuality, you are pulling slightly up on the D-loop at full draw." What is it that causes the jaws (sears?) of the release to not go to the centre of the D-loop? I am completely

Quote Originally Posted by WoolyWelsh
    Very good documentation and photography. You deserve an A.T. Member of the Year for all your time and effort. At the top!

Can you explain what causes this: "However, in actuality, you are pulling slightly up on the D-loop at full draw." What is it that causes the jaws (sears?) of the release to not go to the centre of the D-loop? I am completely
    It is more or less the human form. Your elbow is higher than the release. Take a look at most of the pictures of people shooting with a loop at anchor. It may feel like you are pulling straight back, but you are not.
    BCY String Material distributor, Bowstring making and tuning Phone Orders 800-437-9145

Thanks for the information on serving for the nock. The pro shop where I bought my bow put the entire D loop below the nock. Is this OK or does it just a preference/practice alternative to a longer serving on the bottom per your method?

Quote Originally Posted by lvandev
    Thanks for the information on serving for the nock. The pro shop where I bought my bow put the entire D loop below the nock. Is this OK or does it just a preference/practice alternative to a longer serving on the bottom per your method?
    Longer serving knot on the bottom of the arrow nock puts a little bit of down pressure on the blade launcher arrow rest.

Two d-loop knots under the arrow nock
    puts even more down pressure on the blade launcher arrow rest.
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

alanlui@comcast.net

What kind of serving marterial did Deezlin use?

One more quick question. How do you guys get the tied nocks and d-loop to slide up and down the string during paper tuning and nock placement?

I tried the tied nocks with 0.22 diameterserving string and couldnt get the nock or d-loop to move. I went to crimped nocks and untied the d-loop every time for each adjusment.

There has got to be an easier way.

Quote Originally Posted by lvandev
    As Nuts & Bolts mention the D-loop under the nock has some advantages. Both of these methods does put more down pressure on the rest. So, you have to have the rest setup to resist this increase in pressure. Once the arrow is release, this pressure ceases, if there is too much it may be possible for the rest to flip the arrow up. So, excessive down pressure is something to be avoided as well.

The main thing I dislike about the D-loop under is being hard to hook up on. I feel my method is just easier to hook up on and the serving nock sets will not pinch the nock.

I was in Illinois one time, shooting in basically an open field. I was using an extremely light large diameter arrow with a low FOC. When I would draw the bow in a cross wind, the wind would blown off the arrow off the rest. The only way, I could shoot the bow that day was up wind or down wind. The reason for this was the arrow setup, nock pinch and not enough down pressure on the arrow. In this type of situation the nock pinch and extra down pressure was definitely needed.

deez, nice job. a couple of posts back i asked a question about a bow that i just bought, it was set up exactly like this. the problem was, there was no weight/pressure on the rest and the arrow drifted. i remove the top served nock, it seems to be better with some weight/tension on the rest(drop zone) what are ya thoughts on this, ever seen it? thanks again for quality post!

Quote Originally Posted by phumb
    deez, nice job. a couple of posts back i asked a question about a bow that i just bought, it was set up exactly like this. the problem was, there was no weight/pressure on the rest and the arrow drifted. i remove the top served nock, it seems to be better with some weight/tension on the rest(drop zone) what are ya thoughts on this, ever seen it? thanks again for quality post!
    I think I read this posting. I believe, Nuts & Bolts suggest this. I don't really see a problem. The reason it was probably raising up was because the nockset was too low; the nockset was pinching; and the arrow was light with a low FOC. Maybe not all of these conditions were true, but some were.

Pinching the nock is very bad with light arrows, especially. As we continue to use shorter and shorter A2A bows, we need to add more clearance in between the nocksets and nock. This is because of the more acute string angles.

By removing the top nockset and using the D-loop instead the nock is probably wedging the D-loop up. It may work quite well for you.

ttt

this is a great one

this should be a sticky

i just started doing the d-loop this way i can see the diff

more speed ,better grouping ,easy to reach 90m ....by using d-loop this way ..no arrow pinch

i think ...lol

That is a great how to!! Thank you for the time.

I think I read this posting. I believe, Nuts & Bolts suggest this. I don't really see a problem. The reason it was probably raising up was because the nockset was too low; the nockset was pinching; and the arrow was light with a low FOC. Maybe not all of these conditions were true, but some were.

Pinching the nock is very bad with light arrows, especially. As we continue to use shorter and shorter A2A bows, we need to add more clearance in between the nocksets and nock. This is because of the more acute string angles.

By removing the top nockset and using the D-loop instead the nock is probably wedging the D-loop up. It may work quite well for you.
    Here is another article on nock set and similar setup which many might want to read.

http://www.archerylive.com/forums/in...?showtopic=429

Thanks Dezlin!

Many Thanks for your valuable information about D-loop and nockset!
    I love your thread all the time!!

Here is another article on nock set and similar setup which many might want to read.
    c=429[/url]
    argh, said I have to register to read
    2007 Bowtech Tribute 60#
    Limbdriver, HHA Optimizer Lite 5019
    Rage two-blade, Goldtip XT hunters 5575 Black
    Line #4 for rent

Now that's how it's supposed to be done. Very detailed and very good pics. Good post Deezlin. Now can we make it a sticky?
    PRESERVE, PROTECT, AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES FROM ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, including the POTUS
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    UBP Life Member,PSAA Life Member
    Hutch~N~Son strings by Bowstring Depot

Arrow

Just a couple of other quick tips to make putting on a D-loop easy 1) After you establish your d-loop length make up a few to have on hand for future use. 2) Remember to put a bulb on the end of end so that the knot does not slip through on it's self, use a lighter to do this . 3) Make sure that the knots are facing oppisite directions, this way they pull against each other. 4) After getting loop where you want it and put tension on it so it stays in place make a measurement off the top cam or from the axle to the inside of the d- loop spot where the noc would go this way you have a record of where things line up. If the bow starts shooting differently check this measurement if it has changed one of two things has happened loophas moved are you have issues with the cables or strings, time to replace them

seeyou on the shooting line Jerry

Arrow d-loop

Just a couple of other quick tips to make putting on a D-loop easy 1) After you establish your d-loop length make up a few to have on hand for future use. 2) Remember to put a bulb on the end of end so that the knot does not slip through on it's self, use a lighter to do this . 3) Make sure that the knots are facing oppisite directions, this way they pull against each other. 4) After getting loop where you want it and put tension on it so it stays in place make a measurement off the top cam or from the axle to the inside of the d- loop spot where the noc would go this way you have a record of where things line up. If the bow starts shooting differently check this measurement if it has changed one of two things has happened loophas moved are you have issues with the cables or strings, time to replace them

see you on the shooting line Jerry

Deezlin

Quote Originally Posted by BradMc26
    What kind of serving marterial did Deezlin use?
    I was wondering this too. I would like to try this, but I haven't seen any serving like that.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast