Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Serving Nockset Tieing and D-Loops

Quote Originally Posted by wkywtkiller
    I was wondering this too. I would like to try this, but I haven't seen any serving like that.
    This is what Deezlin says he uses in post no. 1 at the begining of the thread.

"My center serving is .022 Brownell Diamondback. I use .026 Brownell Crown serving for my nocksets. In addition to position the arrow's nocking point, nocksets can be use for a number of other things, such as tieing in kisser buttons, rest pull ropes on drop-aways and peep sight slip collars."

www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

alanlui@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by grandpawrichard View Post
    Here's how I tie on nocksets, peep sights and dropaway cords:

http://archerynetwork.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2369

Dick
    //////////////pjjjju r

gidqwqt 7f1r1t166shayy 326

ttt.

great post regarding D-Loops
    Aim LOW

Nicely Done

Very nice thread. Thats how i do it and how i'd show somebody to do it
    Vegetarian Eater

Great job on the camera work. I often read what you guys are saying and get a pretty good idea of what you mean, but pictures always ensure that I understand it. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Quote Originally Posted by tdaward View Post
    Maybe a picture of how to tie a D-loop would make this thread perfect!!!
    I have only one question... what the heck kind of bowstring are you tying that thing on??

Great thread...

Fantastic.

What are some good starting lengths for D-loops?

It depends on how long a length you want when it's finished. But I like mine around 5/8" from the bowstring with the two releases I use. One bow is shorter than the other and I use a tied in nock point below the arrow and don't use any nock point with the longer bow. (A longer bow is less prone to pinch so the nock point isn't really necessary.) For the shorter one with the nock point I start it at 4 1/8" counting the melted balls and with the longer one I start with a 4" section.

You will have to experiment with your own, though, to truly know what size they need to be for various reasons. Such as width of nocks, length from string, tied nock points or not and even the size of the nock point(s). So experimentation IS necessary to find the perfect size.

Thanks guys

Following this thread really helped me set up my wifes d-loop. I don't shoot a loop much less a release, I shoot fingers on my recurve, so I was in the dark setting up her Matthews Ignition. And she was paying attention the whole time so now she can do it herself!
    Thanks again. Now back to my 'curve

Now we need someone to post on how to burn the ends of the D-Loop without burning string/cables, and having a D-loop that won't give your the dreaded Bloody nose,,, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Takeum View Post
    Now we need someone to post on how to burn the ends of the D-Loop without burning string/cables, and having a D-loop that won't give your the dreaded Bloody nose,,, lol

I watched my bow tech, use a lighter set the end on fire let it burn about 5 seconds or so, blow it out, then tap the end with his finger to make it mushroom out. I think he ties a pretty good d-loop.

But he does it a way i have never seen before. for the knock point he ties on the d-loop alone. then serves in the loop? any one heard of this method, ill try to take a picture if i remember when i get off work tonight, which i need to run so im not late now, lol AT addiction.

after you tie a few loops the length you like, you'll be able to guess about how long you need to make the loop before you tie it on. i cut mine my usual length, fray the ends out, and then melt them into a mushroom shape without letting the ends start of fire. if you tie it right they won't pull out on you, even if you don't have much of a mushroom on the end. i try to always have 1 piece of loop material in my box of gear that is ready with the ends burned so all i have to do is tie it around my nockset and i'm good to go. later, goosie.
    Baby Daddy Arrest Team
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Quote Originally Posted by goosie119 View Post
    after you tie a few loops the length you like,.......
    One thing I might mention about D-loops lengths. Many people feel this is a good way of adjusting draw length. It can be, but I would only do this if I was basically shooting on flat land. If you are shooting in hilly terrian, you can get a varying anchor started.

I personally like to keep my loops short. I generally, shoot the loop for a while and then loosen one end and pull it tighter and redue the knot.

Now one other thought. As you can see, I make the lower nockset longer and the in turn causes more tension in the lower knot. I usually ball then end of that knot first. That way I can make a larger ball on the lower end.
    Little Jon Archery Products
    Bowstring Jig and Serving Winders
    BCY String Material distributor, Bowstring making and tuning Phone Orders 800-437-9145

Quote Originally Posted by Deezlin View Post

Now one other thought. As you can see, I make the lower nockset longer and the in turn causes more tension in the lower knot. I usually ball then end of that knot first. That way I can make a larger ball on the lower end.
    Never considered that minor detail.. good point Deez..

Quote Originally Posted by Deezlin View Post
    On my hunting bows, I use a serving nockset on top only and a eliminator cushion button under or a small electrical grommet.
    Why not use the nockset underneath for hunting bow as well. I have used just a standard d-loop, but plan to tie the nocksets in tonight.....

Great thread that will last and last....9 months use already!
    10 STROTHER INFINITY LH 29.5/60 351gr @312fps
    10 STROTHER INSPIRE LH FOR SALE

How much weight do you think that you have added to the string compared to a standard nock point?

I've got a question, I went from a plain D loop to one with tyed nocks, like the ones shown. Now my point of impact shifted about 2" high and a little right. What would cause that? BTW, I'm shooting an Ally @ 30" DL.

Ttt

Nock point changed causing a change in impact..
    T ZZZZ

RER and Big River Longbows
    Hoyt Cybertec and Maxxis
    FMJ and VPA

Nock point changed causing a change in impact..
    T ZZZZ

RER and Big River Longbows
    Hoyt Cybertec and Maxxis
    FMJ and VPA

ttt
    U.S.M.C. Veteran

ttt for a quality thread.

also, see the link grandpawrichard posted on page 1 of this thread.

shoot often, hunt safe, have fun

Just tested this out and immediatly fell in love with this style of nock/loop tieing. Real easy to hook up and the release feels so much better. Top notch information right here.

Deez, awesome stuff. Do you have pictures of the eliminator button or grommet? Also, can you please post a picture with the bow string in the vertical position so we can see how your nock sets look from top to bottom? I am really visual so I need to see good pics which you have. Thank you!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast