Archery Talk Forum banner

Serving Nockset Tieing and D-Loops

195K views 216 replies 174 participants last post by  Referral 
#1 ·
I was contacted by kenn1320 with a question on serving nocksets and D-loops. This topic has been discussed here before, but I thought I would start a new thread on the subject.

I always use serving nocksets in conjunction with D-loops. I feel this is the best of both worlds. On my hunting bows, I use a serving nockset on top only and a eliminator cushion button under or a small electrical grommet.

My center serving is .022 Brownell Diamondback. I use .026 Brownell Crown serving for my nocksets. In addition to position the arrow's nocking point, nocksets can be use for a number of other things, such as tieing in kisser buttons, rest pull ropes on drop-aways and peep sight slip collars.

#80 ·
YES many a many people use here for loop materail and the stuff is quality, awesome lady to deal with!!!

#82 ·
subscription added

#83 ·
good thread thanks

#88 ·
#90 ·
ttt

#92 ·
I buy my D loop material in volume (100 ft length). I dont cut my d loops to length and then install. What I do is I have a length that I will be able to make lots of d loops with . I tie the first knot underneath and then having all that extra length I can grab hold of and pull that first knot really tight. then I run the second knot and pull it to the length I want my d loop to be and pull on all the extra length and it pulls the second knot really tight also. Then I cut the extra off leaving enough extra to burn the end on the second knot. I use a soldering gun to melt the second knot on the d loop. When using a soldering gun to make the bulb on the d loop material make sure you are using a clean tip without any solder on it. Found out the hard way that a previously used tip with solder on it will actually melt right into the bulb of d loop material you are trying to form.

#102 ·
BUMP... this thread has helped me so much!

#103 ·
bump

lets put this back up to the top

#104 ·
Nock Pinch?

I understand nock pinch if you don't use a d-loop and just attach a release straight to the string. You only have one point of contact with the string. However, the D-loop gives you two points of contact. If the D-loop is set up surrounding the nock point, wouldn't that give a straight string between the ends of the D-loop as in Fig. 1? I can't understand what force would be causing the string to look like Fig. 2 and pinching the nock.

Attachments

#109 ·
I understand nock pinch if you don't use a d-loop and just attach a release straight to the string. You only have one point of contact with the string. However, the D-loop gives you two points of contact. If the D-loop is set up surrounding the nock point, wouldn't that give a straight string between the ends of the D-loop as in Fig. 1? I can't understand what force would be causing the string to look like Fig. 2 and pinching the nock.
What you're saying makes sense. Unless the d loop slips & makes the nock slip it shouldn't be necessary. The space is probably there for a little fudge factor as the knots tighten into place.