Maximum Draw Wieght?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Maximum Draw Wieght?

Here in New York where we seem to excel in stupid laws we have a 200lb. maximum draw weight for crossbow. This isn't so much of an issue for people using compound bows but I shoot a recurve and my bow has a 290lb. draw weight. I'm just curious how many other states have a maximum draw weight on crossbows?

Well, it appears there may be light at the end of the tunnel here in New York after all. Senator Patrick Gallivan has sponsored bill "A9623"(currently in committee) which among other things strikes the 200lb. max. draw limit from the language of the law.

Great news...hopefully things will work out! Nothing seems to be easy in NY!!

Nope no change yet
    Hoyt Nitrum Turbo 30 inch draw 65lb pull 383 grain Goldtip velocity pro's 323 FPS

60lbs

Why would you need more than 200lb draw weight,just asking , I use a Scorpyd Orion extreme with 135lb draw weight.

Quote Originally Posted by cybertec69 View Post
    Why would you need more than 200lb draw weight,just asking , I use a Scorpyd Orion extreme with 135lb draw weight.
    Excaliber crossbows the 1 main reason recurve bows need a heavier draw than the compound bows you scorpyd at 135 probably generates more speed and more energy then any 200LB recurve crossbow
    Hoyt Nitrum Turbo 30 inch draw 65lb pull 383 grain Goldtip velocity pro's 323 FPS

Quote Originally Posted by bigbuckdn View Post
    Excaliber crossbows the 1 main reason recurve bows need a heavier draw than the compound bows you scorpyd at 135 probably generates more speed and more energy then any 200LB recurve crossbow
    I get 365 fps with my setup, total weight of bolt with 100 grain point, nock and fletching is 440 grains.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cybertec69 View Post
    I get 365 fps with my setup, total weight of bolt with 100 grain point, nock and fletching is 440 grains.

First nice rig
    Second just my point I just purchased an Excaliber vortex with 200 lb draw and it is rated at 330 the new matrix line at 200 lb draw are 305 and 310fps so that is why the 200lb draw is a mistake if the DEC wanted to limit power of the bow they should have capped the FPS rating not the draw rating just a nother dumb law in N.Y.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbuckdn View Post
    First nice rig
    Second just my point I just purchased an Excaliber vortex with 200 lb draw and it is rated at 330 the new matrix line at 200 lb draw are 305 and 310fps so that is why the 200lb draw is a mistake if the DEC wanted to limit power of the bow they should have capped the FPS rating not the draw rating just a nother dumb law in N.Y.
    Thanks, in regards to the draw weight, I believe it's for safety reasons, they don't care what fps the particular rig gets with it's draw weight. In cam system crossbows your will get more kinetic energy, the same goes for a compound bow vs. a recurve bow. The Excalibur is the twin brother in crossbow format of a recurve bow. Pulling back 135lbs is much easier than pulling back 200lbs, the Scorpyd comes in 175lb "which does 440fps" and also in 110lb draw weight, the 135lbs draw weight is just right for me, I am only 5'7" and 175-180 lbs "depends on the season ".