Thread: Corn piles

Corn piles

In alot of the trail cam pics on here you see just a pile of corn dumped out, with the deer eating it. I always thought if you did that you would just end up with some really fat coons on your property. Are there alot of you guys that don't use feeders, just dump corn out and have success hunting over it?

Quote Originally Posted by Okccj
    In alot of the trail cam pics on here you see just a pile of corn dumped out, with the deer eating it. I always thought if you did that you would just end up with some really fat coons on your property. Are there alot of you guys that don't use feeders, just dump corn out and have success hunting over it?

Yep!!!...i pile it up on the ground at first and then when I know that deer are coming to it, I start to scatter it more, but in the same area. deer will act like they are digging for gold when they smell it but realize it is not piled up for them. the ground will look like hogs been there!!

Cornpiles

I have hunted over corn in KS a bunch. We just poor it on the ground and replenish it every few days. Yes the coons come in but the deer love it. The thing is though, mature bucks are still very smart to the fact here is human activity there. They will come in by night and not at all during the day most the time. Once they are rutting hard and the does are on the corn that can change because they are so focused on the women.

Having a big corn pile and hunting off it on the trails deer use to get there can be very effective to catch a buck on his way too.

Do it in Illinois and you will end up with a big fat fine.

It is OK to hunt over corn fields that might have a pile of corn where the farmer may have spilled but a pile of corn put somewhere where it is not normally found and that is called baiting which is illegal in Illinois.

Not sure what the difference is between that and food plots which are legal.

Quote Originally Posted by illbowhunter

It is OK to hunt over corn fields that might have a pile of corn where the farmer may have spilled but a pile of corn put somewhere where it is not normally found and that is called baiting which is illegal in Illinois.

One you have to work a lot harder to get prepared just so the deer can eat it. I agree though, whats the difference between corn on a stalk and corn in a bag. It all came from the same place.
    Mathews Drenalin 28" 70 lbs
    Spott Hogg Right 5 pin w/ wrap
    NAP Apache dropaway
    28" Carbon Express 6075 Terminators
    1.75" 100gr Grim Reapers

Sorry

Didn't mean to hijack thread

Quote Originally Posted by illbowhunter

Same thing here in Indiana, it is classified as bating........a guy I know had some spread out in his back yard a couple of years ago and walked out back during muzzleloader season and dropped a perfect 10pt. from his deck at about 4:00p.m........

I heard somewhere that if you just pour corn in a pile then it gets molded and can eventually be harmful to the deer. Now wether or not that is true I don't know, just sharing what I heard.
    2014 Elite E32 29.5" 72lbs - 2014 Elite E35 29.5" 71lbs - 2013 Elite Hunter 29.5" 61lbs
    Slick Trick Viper Tricks - Dead Center Archery Priducts - HHA Sights - QAD HDX

Quote Originally Posted by dhayse32
    Same thing here in Indiana, it is classified as bating........a guy I know had some spread out in his back yard a couple of years ago and walked out back during muzzleloader season and dropped a perfect 10pt. from his deck at about 4:00p.m........

I heard somewhere that if you just pour corn in a pile then it gets molded and can eventually be harmful to the deer. Now wether or not that is true I don't know, just sharing what I heard.

very true if you put it out right before it rains....

in a feeder or on the ground they will get it.

and then other animals will catch on.

Awesome picture!

I have personally never put out corn, but one of my favorite spots to hunt is an area where it is common for corn to be spilled from the combine.

My hunting partner has used corn piles successfully on numerous occasions...and yes, you will get some fat coons from it. We also put the trail cams out over corn to see what's in the area...and the coons like to show off.

I always put my fresh corn out and scatter it so the deer actually have to work for it--haha, and it keeps it from souring and molding as fast. I also wait after a good rain where they have been bedded down and are nice and hungry to put the corn out

There's an interesting article on baiting in the latest issue of Deer & Deer Hunting. I know that baiting is legal in Texas, but I was amazed at how much corn is used. The article stated that 27% of the corn grown in Texas is used for feeding and baiting deer. According to the article, one 20,000 acre hunting ranch in Texas bought 388,000 pounds of corn one season at a cost of $11,000. A quote in the article said that "most Texas hunters would no more go hunting without corn than without a rifle".

those coon and squirrel pics were hysterical!!!

It helps me lean to use my cams.
    KO_32

Last edited by KO_32; August 31st, 2006 at 10:13 PM.
    BOTECH GUARDIAN 62#
    PREDATOR IV STARLIGHT
    EASTON FMJ 400 WASP SST
    ALPINE SOFT LOK QUIVER 7-ARROW

i used to pour it out on the ground , then i heard it was dangerous to do it this way.so i got a feeder and now just enough is on the ground to keep them coming back at night.in the winter i can put out 100 lbs.of corn on the ground and by the next morn.it will all be gone.theres enough corn and beans out now that they dont even mess with the feeder now. just be sure to check your local laws,here in indiana nothing can be on the ground 10 days before a season opens.

we set feeders on timers. Thinking we want those deer knowing when it's gonna be there and what time they have to get there to get some. Just like pavlov's theory.
    Tannernation

its legal on private land in north carolina

it makes it easier to get some venison just put a pile out at 20 yrds and its so much easier then guessing on yardage works wonderfull on our does and young bucks but unless you hardly ever hunt that stand the big boys are strickly nocturnal. we honestly have no luck with feaders but keep to out year round and it helps out during off season to keep em in the area when the weather is rough. i two just pour it on the ground and just drag the bag out to 25 yards making a line so the deer are not nose to nose and it helps it from molding during rain season. bow season starts in just over a week and ill just scatter my first few bags then a week before i hunt the stand ill line it up from the 20-25 yrds and just wait for the broad side shot and take it this is how i get a deer or two in the freezer note during rainy storm season about now thru september i let the acorns drop and put out lil corn due to ive sceen molded corn just go bad or grow stocks and the animals wont touch it at all. they will eat it wet in the rain but if its molded they wont touch it so why waste the money but come october and november man they slauder it on some stands i cant make a 100 pds last a week