a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chewin on stand..Spit or not to Spit

Chewin on stand..Spit or not to Spit

Alright wanna know what you guys think....Ive heard stories about deer licking/sniffing chew spit and so on...I was afraid the smell would scare the deer so ive always carried a small bottle to spit in which is kind of a pain in the a** at times. So should i just let er drop or what? Any expieriences with this?

Depends on how tough ya are........if yer tough enough......swallow it!

Well since anymore I whiz off the stand I might as spit as well. I spent more time hunting off the ground anymore and have seen it does not matter. but then again I spend most of my time bowhunting flooded bottom land for ducks. So usually I am spitting/whizzing in water.

Both my brother-in-law and myself dip. Two seasons ago, we were hunting together and had been spitting on the ground (Vanilla Skoal). Two doe's came in right underneath my brother-in-law's stand and started licking the leaves. Just to further experiment, he spit on one of the doe's back. The other does must have smelled the Vanilla and began licking the spit right off of the doe's back. They never did figure it out and we still laugh about it. Since then I have installed a cup holder on my Summit Vipor for a bottle w/ lid. I have killed some nice bucks with a dip in and spitting on the ground, but I have started taking more scent elimination precautions including not spitting on the ground, just in case. Not dipping in the stand at all would probably be the best. You can get the same argument about people who smoke on the stand and pee out of the stand. There always seems to be someone who has killed giant bucks while doing any of the above. I guess it becomes personal preference as to how careful you want to be. A really smart, mature buck could probably tell something wasn't right long before you even saw him, unless conditions, such as wind, were not in his favor at the time.

I chew... I chew WAY to much... I dont think I could go through a hunt without having atleast one chew.. I chew wintergreen grizzly.. I figure it kinda smells like minty, so hopefully it doesnt do too much... I always used to just spit on the ground, even when I chewed the fruity tooty stuff (berry blend, cherry) and that stuff smelled like cough syrup.. Never had a problem but like mentioned, I started taking a more caution with my scents.. I now carry a spitter in my fanny pack and limit my chew to as little as possible... Before I started chewing more than a can a day, I chewed cope... Figured that stuff smelled like dirt, so it couldnt hurt haha... Someone mentioned whizzin on stand, I wont hesitate to do that because I did a test last year and it showed that if anything human pisss will just raise a deers curiosity and they`ll investigate.. Also seen them tear up a scrape after I put my special sauce on it... Hmm...
    Kames Sports Pro Staff
    Hoyt Rampage XT 28" 66#, Viper X Strings and Cables, Trophy Ridge Micro Alpha V5, LD Pro-V, 10" Smooth Stability, Alpine Soft-Loc, 409gr. Axis N-Fused, Bling Sling, Rage 2 Blades or Slick Tricks.
    1953 Bear Polar 40# Kohanna Kurve 55# Bowtech RPM 360, trophy ridge'd out

im a heavy smoker, i usually stop smoking right before season starts, and pick up the can of chew, i usually chew the apple flavor skoal, never had a problem with it that i know of, and i swallow

Well I dipped for about ten years and did so in my stand and spit all over the ground. It doesn't have any affect on deer that I can tell. I dipped Copenhagen most of the time and occasionally wintergreen skoal. However, thank goodness, I quit last summer and I won't be spitting out of my stand anymore!

i chew grizzly wintergreen too, but i take a soda bottle just to be safe.
    607 Outdoors - Check us out on youtube

I am also, a HEAVY dipper. I will go through a can a day. I chew copenhagen. I have never hunted in a stand, but on elk hunts, I always spit where I sit. Never had an elk spook because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunt_n
    I am also, a HEAVY dipper. I will go through a can a day. I chew copenhagen. I have never hunted in a stand, but on elk hunts, I always spit where I sit. Never had an elk spook because of it.

Man if 1 can a day is HEAVY,, I need serious help. I am a 2.5 to 3 cans daily of Skoal. I will not spit on the ground while hunting or scouting. I either use a bottle of swallow.

I never did like to swallow. Sometimes I could and sometimes I could not swallow it. It didn't make me sick, it gave me bad indigestion and make my mouth water and I'd have to swallow more and more often.

One of my Hunting buddies chews and he spits in a bottle, never on the ground during a hunt. Don't know if it makes a difference but he is without a doubt either the best or luckiest hunter I know. Doesn't matter what state he's in, he always scores the big bucks. So if he thinks it makes a difference, I think it probably does.
    "CRACKERIZED"
    CARTER'S ARCHERY
    (816) 232-2577
    www.cartersarchery.net

I usually throw in a lucky lefty, sometimes I go with an upper if I stop seeing deer. I spit on the ground and have seen deer lick it up.
    MR7 30" 60lbs
    Gold Tip Velocity 300's
    Limbdriver
    Spot Hog Hunter Wrapped
    Stokerized 10" Hunter Stabilizer

Quote Originally Posted by LA Archer
    Man if 1 can a day is HEAVY,, I need serious help. I am a 2.5 to 3 cans daily of Skoal. I will not spit on the ground while hunting or scouting. I either use a bottle of swallow.

My goodness LA, how the heck do you afford that? That is some serious dipping.

I ama Cope user, religiously. But when I'm on stand i usually use apple skoal. Take a wiff of that stuff and see if it doesn't smell just like an apple. We all know how much deer love apples. I even throw the empty cans down at the base of my stand for an attractant scent. Just remember to pick up the can when you leave.

Good luck guys!

Quote Originally Posted by LA Archer
    Good God man!!!!!!!! Everybody always tells me I chew way to much. All I can say to you sir is.......... Git Er Dun.

I learned back in school to swallow copenhagen snuff every time i got caught chewing they made me swallow it ! now 20 years later it's like throwing money down the drain spitting swallow it !

I'm a cope man myself. I usually bring a bottle with me. And if I forget I try to wait till I'm outta the stand.

I chew Kodiak and have witnessed a buck licking my chew spit at the base of my tree. I could have spit on it's head. My bottle fell to the ground, and it was prime time so I wasn't going to get down because you know how luck would have it.
    Athens Factory Staff
    Dead Center Archery Factory Staff
    If it is brown it's down. I love animals they're delicious- Ted Nugent

Ol man told me that it sounds like acorns falling.....
    You'll Have That!!!!

Currently chewing the grizzly natural and never have had any issues, I spit on the way to the stand, on the stand, and on the way out. If you aint spittin you are missin out good ole fun.

I couldn't imagine hunting without a dip of copenhagen in my mouth. I both spit and swallow. I never had a deer spook form spitting on the ground, and I hunt alot of days in a season. I use to worry about it, and used a spit bottle, not to mention a bottle to pee in. I've forsaken all of those. I don't mind peeing off my stand, and I think you just make more movement spitting in a bottle.

You know, I’ve walked right up some young yearling fawns and could have arrowed them at 20 yards. I just don’t understand why I can’t walk right up a big old monster buck and arrow it at 20 yards? Why not they are both deer?

I have always just let the spit fly. No known spooks but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Vile Habit ... Quit it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast