Thread: Buying a Crossbow – What do I need to know?

Buying a Crossbow – What do I need to know?

I have to believe that there are a couple main things that I need to be looking for when considering buying a crossbow.

I also have to believe that this topic has been discussed here before. If so, please direct me to a good place to start.

The crossbow is for my dad. He has injured his shoulder / arm and plans to hunt with it. He budget is minimal, however I have to believe that there a couple great crossbows out there that will serve the purpose for him. Please let me know what these models are.

Thank you for steering me in the right direction and getting us started on our purchase.

-Matt

I researched and found Horton makes a wide range of crossbows from very reasonable to high range, but all are all quality.
    I bought a brand new 05 Horton Legend XL 175 315fps in Dec. for my son which now is into compounds, Its set up with a simmons 3X9 scope quiver carbon arrows and never hunted with.
    If your interested in that I'll sell and ship it for 400, but they make others that are less expensive as well. let me know if your interested suprafastkf@fuse.net

See ya bro.
    Ken

Get your Dad and yourself to a pro shop preferably one that stocks a lot of different brands, Excalibur, Ten Point, Horton and Parker. Cabellas or Bass Pro is a good place to start, try as many as you can. He may like a recurve or a compound. Main thing is you get what you pay for and if you like the bow you buy you'll stick with it.

I second the Horton recommendation. They make a good range of products and are plenty good for hunting.

Digger's advice is sound. Go to a pro ship and try a few different brands/models. Just like any other sporting equipment they need to fit the shooter & feel comfortable. I shoot Excalibur, but they aren't for everyone. My second choice would probably be TenPoint, with Horton and Barnett following.

Thanks for all of the help.

My dad ordered a Horton 150 with red dot scope and 6 bolts for $250 delivered to his door.

Once again thank you for your help.

-Matt

Good choice! I killed two deer last year with my Horton 150. They are solid bows and he should get a lot of good hunting out of it. Horton has really improved their quality and accessories in the last couple of years.

I just got a 2006 Horton Explorer HD 150 and I'm really impressed with it. It is just like mine from last year (which I sold) but with a couple of minor differences.