Archery Talk Forum banner

Index Finger Callus

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  tackful 
#1 ·
Why would a callus develop on the top of my index finger? I know that it indicates friction, or rubbing of the string as it passes, but I'm not sure as to the cause or the remedy. Perhaps my finger is twisting around the string, rather than maintaining a 90 deg angle? I shoot split finger. Thanks.

#2 ·
t -

Is it on the medial cuticle (side of nail near the middle finger)?

If so, that means you're pinching the arrow.
Start with your fingers at 90* to the string and your index finger about 1/4" away from the arrow nock.
Keeping your hand relaxed will give your fingers some downward tilt, that's normal, but the 1/4" should give you enough clearance.

Viper1 out.

#4 ·
t -

Not common.
Assuming you're not shooting a very short bow (with a lot of finger pinch) or have a tab that's too narrow.
If you're using a glove, it's probably the wrong size (too big or too small).
Also assuming that your index finger is in priority?
If so, going with a ring finger in priority is an option.

Viper1 out.

#5 ·
I shoot a 68" longbow and use a cordovan finger tab. My release is dynamic, but lately I wonder if I am dragging my fingers off the string as opposed to simply relaxing and letting the string do the work. Although I am reluctant to give conscious thought to the release for fear of unnecessarily complicating things, recent blank bale work has shown that I do get a faster release if I consciously relax my fingers.
Thanks for replying.

#6 ·
I'll add one other thought in the event it may apply.

Is there a possibility that you are slightly torquing the draw hand in a counter-clockwise fashion on the loose, which may put the top of the index finger in position for a rub?

I used to perform this torque on occasion, usually accompanied with a high-left flyer when extreme. It's identical to the manner in which one plucks the string on a bass fiddle or bass guitar. Comfy on the fiddle ... not so on the bow string!

Just for the mix and consideration.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.