Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Indiana 1 buck rule

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    33,223

    Indiana 1 buck rule

    I was talking with a buddy of mine last night, he happens to be a Coservation officer. I asked him if he had heard if Indiana was going to go back to 2 bucks. He stated that the biologist that made the decision wants to go back to 2 bucks because it has done nothing to improve the deer herd. Everyone I know fully supports the 1 buck rule. I would hate to see us go back to 2 bucks.

    Last edited by rodney482; October 3rd, 2006 at 09:35 AM.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bloomfield, IN
    Posts
    447
    I agree that it would suck to go back to 2 bucks...I personally have seen better deer since OBR.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    260
    Although I am no biologist, I too have seen a large increase in the quality and quanity of bucks in my area. I firmly believe that the one buck/year is helping. It will continually get even better if given time. To give up on this rule now would be too soon in my opinion. Let it ride!
    Truth of the matter, I would rather eat a doe. I have yet to find a good recipe for getting the antlers tender. If a buck isn't bigger than the others I have on the wall already, then I let'em walk. It doesn't matter to me if I don't get to kill a buck every year. I enjoy hunting does just as well. How can this rule not be helping (per biologist)? Maybe they should get out the office a little more and spend some time in the woods. That should clear things up for them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,531
    It is all rumors and a bunch of double talk right now.

    The IDNR survey results were just released yesterday showing a majority of support for OBR. The full report has not been released yet.

    Give it time, the decision will be made after this season. In the mean time, don't support the rumor mills. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself with the facts.

    The survey results can be found on any of the three major Indiana hunting forum sites. You can also find out more info/opinons on OBR then you could ever need to form your own educated opinion on the topic.

    If you need links to the Indiana forum sites, PM me and I'll send you links to the three big ones.
    Derek Craig
    "It's a New Day in the Outdoors"
    Magnus Broadheads

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shelby County, IN
    Posts
    1,339
    I think the OBR is working. I don't know anyone, other than on some of the Indiana forums, that don't like the rule. I hope it stays.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,531
    I really like OBR too. I just get sick of all the rumors and half truths. The fact is that only the IDNR will decide on the future. The rumor mills don't help the cause one way or the other.

    The only large amout of critics that I hear about are the guys on a couple of the Indiana forums (OK, mostly just one of these forums, still a good forum though).
    Derek Craig
    "It's a New Day in the Outdoors"
    Magnus Broadheads

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Greene County, IN
    Posts
    4,210
    I know that there will be little to no supporters for this but I wonder if they would ever consider having a season where no bucks could be killed. Just imagine what a difference 1 year would make with the size and quality of mature bucks running around. It will never happen but it would a neat idea in an attempt to somewhat turn around our 10-1 doe-to-buck ratio. I know that it would suck for most hunters but the payoff the next season would be awesome.......just a thought
    2014 Elite E32 29.5" 72lbs - 2014 Elite E35 29.5" 71lbs - 2013 Elite Hunter 29.5" 61lbs
    Slick Trick Viper Tricks - Dead Center Archery Priducts - HHA Sights - QAD HDX

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Fulton county, IL
    Posts
    17,364
    I wish you guys the very best and I certainly hope that you see the overall quality improve. I think the key lies in hunter education and teaching restraint, it's a shame that the states have to restrict buck harvest to only one and that other states have to impose AR's like they do simply because of to many "brown & downers". Best of luck to all of ya
    An "archer" tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A "BOWHUNTER" tries to see how CLOSE he can get to his.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southwestern MI
    Posts
    180
    I wish you could get some that support up here in michigan. Between the DNR, insurance companies and the many hunters with absolutely no self control, it's hard to get a lot of big deer up here with the small plots of land. You can do all you want for deer management up here, but the clown next to you will shot a little button buck. I've seen that for the last 3 years. Nothing drives me nuts more than seein a button buck get killed. I wish Indiana DNR would come on up here.

  10. #10
    The OBR is definately working. I would also like to see a shorter firearms season and also move it back to December. Thats one of the main reasons why Illinois has bigger bucks. We have the same agriculture and same type of terrain. There is no reason why we can't compete with Illinois. I think what I suggested would definately help. I doubt it'll ever happen though.
    BOWTECH INVASION

  11. #11
    SoreLoser Guest
    You have to be careful about how long something like the OBR runs.. What you have is alot of people holding out for a nicer buck because you can only kill one. Then you end up with a bunch of nasty heads and spikes breeding the does come Nov.. If the program is left to run for too many years then you can have a slight adverse effect..

    We had this problem on a Base that I was stationed at in GA.

    It really is a double edged sword. Hopefully the IDNR will not make the same mistakes.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    31
    I personally would like to see Indiana go a couple of seasons with doe only harvesting. Our buck to doe ratio is awful!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    33,223
    Quote Originally Posted by SR71
    I personally would like to see Indiana go a couple of seasons with doe only harvesting. Our buck to doe ratio is awful!
    I would gladly vote in favor of that..
    Last edited by rodney482; October 3rd, 2006 at 12:19 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,289
    Quote Originally Posted by rodney482
    I was talking with a buddy of mine last night, he happens to be a Coservation officer. I asked him if he had heard if Indiana was going to go back to 2 bucks. He stated that the biologist that made the decision wants to go back to 2 bucks because it has done nothing to improve the deer herd. Everyone I know fully supports the 1 buck rule. I would hate to see us go back to 2 bucks.
    Am scratching my head as to how a "biologist" can say that leaving bucks live is not improving the ratio? I just can't fathom what he is thinking???
    Keep smiling… It makes people wonder what you’ve been up to.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    33,223
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowheadtroutm
    Am scratching my head as to how a "biologist" can say that leaving bucks live is not improving the ratio? I just can't fathom what he is thinking???
    According to the CO the State Biologist has always been against the one buck rule, I dont know who or whos decision it is to keep it the way it is or change it. I would personally think that there would be a commitee making this decision not just one guy...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shelby County, IN
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed
    I wish you guys the very best and I certainly hope that you see the overall quality improve. I think the key lies in hunter education and teaching restraint, it's a shame that the states have to restrict buck harvest to only one and that other states have to impose AR's like they do simply because of to many "brown & downers". Best of luck to all of ya
    You hit the nail on the head. Restraint is the key. The downside of the OBR is when firearms season comes in and the decent bucks you let walk get smoked. I have nothing against gun hunters, I hunt with a ML during firearms season. Restraint will be hard to teach these guys that only hunt 2 weekends a year, I think.

  17. #17
    Advisory Council will discuss one buck rule
    ------------------------------------------------------

    The Natural Resources Advisory Council will discuss the one buck rule on Oct. 11 at 10:30 a.m. (EDT) in Indianapolis.

    At the meeting, Indiana Department of Natural Resources biologists will present the results of a recent deer hunter survey as well as deer harvest data. The DNR will also provide a recommendation to the advisory council regarding the one buck rule.

    The public is invited to attend the meeting and provide comments. The advisory council will then give the Natural Resources Commission a summary of the public comments and a recommendation.

    The one buck rule refers to current deer hunting regulations that allow only one antlered deer to be taken per hunter per year with regular archery, firearm, and muzzleloader licenses. The rule was implemented in the fall of 2002 and has an expiration date of Sept. 1, 2007. Before 2002, up to two bucks could be taken by a hunter each year.

    The Advisory Council meeting will be at 10:30 a.m. (EDT) at the Ft. Harrison State Park Office Conference Room. Ft. Harrison State Park is on the eastside of Indianapolis. The gate entrance is at 59th St. and N. Post Rd.

    The Natural Resources Commission will have an opportunity to give preliminary adoption to the rule proposal on November 14. The public will be notified of the NRC meeting via Wild Bulletin. After preliminary adoption, there will again be an opportunity for public comments.

    A new single-entity Natural Resources Advisory Council was established by P.L. 95-2006 to replace the former Advisory Council for Lands and Cultural Resources and the former Advisory Council for Water and Mineral Resources.
    ]

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southern IL somewhere along the Kaskaskia.
    Posts
    261
    I might get rode on for this one.

    I think the one buck rule is awesome. Now if they added the earn a buck to it, that would help out your buck to doe ratio.

    I would love to see IL go to the one buck rule, and maybe earn a buck in some counties.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,001
    I would like to see either the "earn a buck" or point restrictions in addition to the OBR.

    I have seen more 125" and bigger bucks in the last 3 years than any time in the last 20 years.

    OBR works and works well.

  20. #20

    OBR Indiana

    To clarify Indiana's situation. Not only is the OBR under review, but there has also been a change in the number of does that can be taken. This year the doe limit is almost limitless. A hunter can go to every county in state and limit by county if they have enough tags purchased.

    This by itself, will have a positive result on ratio. With this ability to take as many does as one wants and in conjunction with OBR this should make for a win win situation.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shelby County, IN
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrookie
    To clarify Indiana's situation. Not only is the OBR under review, but there has also been a change in the number of does that can be taken. This year the doe limit is almost limitless. A hunter can go to every county in state and limit by county if they have enough tags purchased.

    This by itself, will have a positive result on ratio. With this ability to take as many does as one wants and in conjunction with OBR this should make for a win win situation.
    I disagree. I don't see hunters limiting out in one county, and then moving to the next. We hunt where we have ground to hunt, so moving around from county to county won't happen much.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    15,453

    I don't see the theory playing out...

    Quote Originally Posted by SoreLoser
    You have to be careful about how long something like the OBR runs.. What you have is alot of people holding out for a nicer buck because you can only kill one. Then you end up with a bunch of nasty heads and spikes breeding the does come Nov.. If the program is left to run for too many years then you can have a slight adverse effect..
    I'm not sure I follow the logic. If people are holding out for "quality" deer, then one can assume that more bucks are going to live to be 3.5-4.5 years old before being killed. If that's the case, then every "trophy" buck that someone waits to kill is being given 3-4 years to breed its genetics into future generations. How would it then negatively impact the overall population?

    Furthermore, many spikes and "nasty heads" (as you deem them) as simply immature or injured deer. That won't have any impact on the future quality of deer that I can see.

    If I'm wrong, I'll gladly recant in light of reliable evidence, but the theory simply sounds like an old wives tale to me.


  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    fairland Indiana
    Posts
    222
    I know several hunters that do not like the OBR. I think that "earn a buck" and moving the gun season past the rut would do more. I talked with a Biologist and He said the amount of button bucks taken each year had more impact on the ratio than the OBR. Because the number of antlered bucks being killed have been similar before and after the OBR. They are just being spread out to more hunters. Does anyone have the numbers for P+Y and B+C entries before and after the rule?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Yorktown, Indiana
    Posts
    7,252
    I think the OBR is the best thing indiana has done & i hope they never change it if they do change anything i would like to see them go with an antler restriction like atleast 4 pts. on 1 side.
    }--------->@<---------{

  25. #25
    SoreLoser Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Indychris
    I'm not sure I follow the logic. If people are holding out for "quality" deer, then one can assume that more bucks are going to live to be 3.5-4.5 years old before being killed. If that's the case, then every "trophy" buck that someone waits to kill is being given 3-4 years to breed its genetics into future generations. How would it then negatively impact the overall population?

    Furthermore, many spikes and "nasty heads" (as you deem them) as simply immature or injured deer. That won't have any impact on the future quality of deer that I can see.

    If I'm wrong, I'll gladly recant in light of reliable evidence, but the theory simply sounds like an old wives tale to me.

    Let me try to clarify.

    On the base I hunted we could only shoot 4pt on one side or better. Not such a bad rule really. We had a lot of nice deer running around that place. The only problem, was that the spikes didn't become better deer with age and the "nasty heads" didn't either. This was a relatively small place so it was easy to watch the progression over the years. One example of this was a deer that had an awesome right beam with 3pt's and the left beam was a 12 inch forked spike. He was an old deer, I would guess probably around 7 1/2 by the time I left. You could see him and 4 other bucks that looked just like him on the golf course every night and you could easily tell the age difference and that they were most likely off spring. They needed to be killed and taken out of the herd but it was not legal to do so.

    It was suggested several times that the 4pt rule be lifted for at least one season to regulate things because the ratio's were getting a little lop sided, but it didn't happen.

    That was my logic behind the post... Yes it's true that a lot of your young future trophy's will grow older and pass along genes, but so will the not so desirable deer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Indiana Buck
    By indiana boy in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: November 24th, 2009, 09:16 AM
  2. My Indiana buck
    By sstarnes in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: November 6th, 2009, 12:43 PM
  3. Another Indiana buck...
    By BlueUltra2 in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: October 4th, 2009, 03:21 PM
  4. My 08 Indiana Buck
    By KyBowhunter1 in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 31st, 2009, 08:49 AM
  5. Indiana One Buck Rule
    By pTac in forum Bowhunting and Bowhunter Showcases
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: January 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •