Archery Talk Forum banner

when does the rut start

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ggc321 
#1 ·
when does the rut start in new york or the north east?

#2 ·
I've already seen some bucks fighting. It was about a week ago and they were actually smaller buck but it looked to be more serious of a fight than just play. They were locked for a minute or two just pushing each other around the field.
I think its about to get hot and heavy in the coming week.

#3 ·
I say the first week of Nov, it will start to get hot, I was just out there the last 2 days with 30 degree temps, saw plenty of doe but no buck, saw buck dropings around doe bedding areas, it looks like they visit during the night, hardly any rubs and no scraping yet, the bucks are just starting to inspect the doe bedding ares, offcourse this is what I saw in state land, not a controled farm where you know where the deer will be and will go, state land is night and day from farm hunting, it's harder to pattern the deer in state land since there is food everywhere in a vast amount of space, in a farm everything is more concentrated and predictable, where you have your food plot in one area and the bedding in another, it is so much easier to patter the deer, in state land you could be sitting on a trail and not see anything all day, while the deer could be using another trail on the next ridge over, I always hunt state land since it is alot more of a chalenge, and where you actually have to do lot's of scouting to be succesfull, I have hunted private properties and they ar eso much easier to hunt since the deer on that land are more predictable, the first 2 weeks of Nov is when the bucks kind of let their guard down and do a bit more traveling during the day, hoping to find that mature and ready and willing doe, before that it's mostly sparing and eating and sleeping, and most of that is done durring the night time hours, unless you have a feeder in your back yard and you get to see them a bit more, but batting to me is not considered hunting, that's for the lazy folk, it's like bringing in the cattle to feed and then you shoot it, what kind of fun is that, good luck on your hunt this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.