Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quartering Toward Shot....

Exclamation Quartering Toward Shot....

Has anyone taken the quartering toward shot?? I took this shot on Sunday, and even had a complete pass thru...the blood trail was bright red and had something that looked like "after birth" in it, kind of like clumps of blood. I tracked the doe for several hours, 41/2 hours to be exact and the blood trail just seemed to slowly stop and then only finding blood every 10-15 yards and only specks then...I shot her at @6:30p, gave her about 30 minutes and then slowly started to track her. My arrow had little blood on it not much to speak of...A friend and I gave up on her at 10pm after the blood tracks seemed to stop. No luck, I am still thinking about the shot and if it was a good one...could someone give me some insight on what type of locale the arrow might have traveled through the Doe by the type of blood I found???

Between me and my 3 sons I have now sit through 3 hunters safety courses and 1 archery certification class. I have still yet heard one instructor recommend this shot, however several discourage it. I have passed on this shot for about 15 years and will continue to do so.

Tough shot

I will take this shot 20 yrds and under. Really depends on whether the deer is leaving those lungs to be hit. Straight on shots shouldnt be taken in my opionion.

I had a four pointer 15 yrds from the stand last night and no shot was given that I felt was acceptable. I wouldnt have shot regardless but often watch deer and decide what would be a makable shot or not.

Sounds like you got some vitals and plenty of blood.
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

I have taken that shot before, and have success with it. I perfer not to take it, but I will if giving the opportunity. When I do take this shot, I put the arrow just in front of the forward leg. That way I will take out both lungs and stay away from the guts! I know that shot is not for everybody, but I have had very good success with it.
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity, because if you lick it once, you suck forever!!!"

Romans 14:2 "One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only."

Its well known to be a low % shot. Basically, that means if you take enough shots like this, you are going to lose a deer sooner rather than later. I agree with Dan, I will take VERY slight quartering towards shot at 20 yards, but otherwise I have been passing this shot for years. If your goal is to end up finding what you shot at, I would strongly discourage the shot.
    NYS Certified Bowhunting Instructor
    New York Bowhunters Inc. - County Rep

Quote Originally Posted by slinger09
    Between me and my 3 sons I have now sit through 3 hunters safety courses and 1 archery certification class. I have still yet heard one instructor recommend this shot, however several discourage it. I have passed on this shot for about 15 years and will continue to do so.
    Yes, I know, I have been through several seminars myself...I trusted myself to take this shot. She wasn't at a near sharp angle, it had to be a good shot. Only problem is, this land is landlocked, and there is a river nearby. I'm afraid she headed towards the river and crossed it. I'll try to upload a pic of the layout I was out....you are right about the shot though, it is a tough one to make...thanks!!

i always try to pass on those shots but last year i shot an 8-pointer like that, i guess adrenaline got the best of me because i thought he was broadside but he was quartering toward me. the arrow penetrated right in front of his shoulder and came out right in his opposite arm pit, complete passthrough and he ran maybe 60 yards before falling. But on another note i shot another that way and lost it. i would not reccomend this shot to anybody. also the chunks of stuff you saw in the blood was probably just coagulated blood. You may have only hit one lung and some liver depending on the angle.
    Hoyt Faktor 30 Blackout -70lbs-28.5 DL-305 FPS
    DeerCrossingArchery ~Use XPO10 for 10% off DCA orders!~
    XtremePursuitOutdoors

No No No

1/4 - to shot is as low percentage as it gets.

Do not take the shot....Try to wait it out or pass it up....

jp
    Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes...

I saw Michael Waddell take a shot like that on a Texas buck and I had the opportunity last year on a doe at 15yds. I had a complete passthrough and she went 30 yards befor piling up. I think if you tuck it in right between the front lag and brisket you'll be okay but if you hit high you might get the top of one lung and some gut. Good Luck!
    USMC-1989-1995
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm-1990-1991/Desert Sweep-1992
    09 PSE Bow Madness XL/Gold Tip Pro 5575/
    08 PSE X Force HF 6/ Beman Hunters 400/ Grim Reapers
    07 Bowtech Allegiance/Gold Tip Pro 5575

Here is the direction she went and where I lost the blood trail
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't ever take a quartering to shot. The front shoulder kind of acts like a shield for thier vitals-and that aint good! IMHO wait for a better shot or let the deer pass. Losing a deer will really (or should) make you feel like crap and if you take this shot you WILL lose one sooner than later. You owe it to tha animal you are going to kill to pracice as shooting as much as you can and take only the shots you feel comfortable with and know are high percentage shots. I can't believe any veteran deer hunter would recomend this shot to another hunter. The 'texas heart shot' will kill a deer too, but would you rather shoot him in the ass or wait for him to turn quartering away or broadside?

Quartering to shots.

Absolutly not! Poor low % shot. Almost as as bad as a head on , neck or head shot. Sure there's people who have made the shot successfully, but many more have tried it and all they got was a lost deer. Why chance it? Wait for a better shot.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

Summerville, South Carolina, United States
    I have definately taken them before. This is my sixth year bowhunting and I am still learning..I passed on a few 1/4 to shots recently. I never lost one from it...but I dont like the feeling of losing a deer...I would rather let it walk.
    Mathews Chill w/ Rock Mods #70 28.5 "Draw
    QAD Ultra Rest
    HHA DS-5019 Ultra Bow Sight
    Gold Tip Pro w/blazers
    G5 T3 100gr

This is not necessarily a low percentage shot. Lower than broadside, sure, but not necessary low %. It all depends on the angle and the distance and the archer and leg forward or backward.

Why is this a bad shot????

Is this shot not a reverse 1/4er away?

Your arrow will get the same vitals, same angle....only in reverse.

I've killed a ton of animals with this shot, and know many more who have also.......

Now you all may flame away

quartering-to shots

I will take a quartering-to shot, provided as DB stated they are less than 20 yards...AND they are relaxed (not on guard or skiddish), AND I can easily see. Not a shot I would take in low light conditions, as there is just not any room for error.

Just back from Africa where I was presented with numerous quartering on shots and passed. One of them was a 54-55" Kudu at 17 yards! That said, I took my second Impala ram with a steep quartering away shot. I can always see the opposite leg in this shot. I placed the arrow just behind the rib cage and the exit was just behind the front of the vital triangle on the opposite shoulder. This shot is essentially a heart shot and front of the far lung. The entry on this shot is liver, but no lung.

As I see it, even though the angle is essentially the same, attempting to enter from the front of the shoulder (even at the start of the vital triangle) poses a very substantial risk of hitting the shoulder bone and deflecting the arrow so that you end up with a one lung, liver and paunch shot... No Heart. Definitely a killing shot, but you'll need to come back in the morning to locate the animal.

My vote, never take a quartering on shot unless you've got a 30-06 in your hands, not a bow.

The biggest problem with a quarting towards shot is in a best case senario you will only get one lung and possibly the liver with you arrow exiting through the guts. Plus there is very little margin for error. To far forward and the arrow is in the shoulder, to far back and you have a gut shot deer.

The difference with a quartering away shot is your arrow can catch both lungs, heart, and has the oppertunity to stay in the deer by hitting the opposing shoulder blade on the exit where a quick death will result. The best shot of coarse is broadside, but quartering away is the only other option in my book.

We owe it to the sport to take ethical shots. Be patient. .
    2006 Bowtech Tomkat

hell i shoot alot of deer quarterin to and never have a problem. i had rathe rtake a quarterin to shot really. i aint had a deer walk farther than 40 yards yet.
    Mathews MQ1
    Sure-Loc Sidewinders
    NAP Quik-tune

"Keep your eye on the fruit! Nanananana!"

Quote Originally Posted by Deerman1

I've killed a ton of animals with this shot, and know many more who have also.......

Now you all may flame away

Read through any basic bowhunter education manual, and it will explain why this is not a good shot, some with detailed pictures also. Like I said before, low % means just that, you may win 60% of the time, but you'll lose 40%.
    If you make a living taking shots like this, you are and/or will be wounding deer. To me, the increased likelihood of a wounding shot just isn't worth it, but that choice is your alone to make.
    NYS Certified Bowhunting Instructor
    New York Bowhunters Inc. - County Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Deerman1

There are 2 main differences
    1. The entry into the quartering towards is shielded by lots of bone and angled bone at that (kind of like shooting into a windshield--> high chance of deflection). On the quartering away, you only have a couple ribs (if that depending on the angle).
    2. The quartering away shot doesn't have the "guts" as a backstop for the arrow, so if your arrow keeps going on a quartering towards shot...you are headed towards the guts to catch your arrow and not an exit hole.

A bow hunter should never, under any circumstances, shoot at an animal that is quartering, or angled, towards them. This is an extremely low percentage shot as the vitals are protected by the front leg and shoulder. Placing an arrow in front of the shoulder at this angle will most likely result in a wounded animal with the best case scenario being a single-lung hit with a moderate to difficult recovery. Placing an arrow behind the shoulder may result in a single lung and liver hit at best, while quit often resulting in a paunch shot animal and making for a lengthy and difficult recovery.

The firearms hunter can take a quartering toward shot and break the front leg and shoulder, resulting in a clean and effective kill. However, we must stress that this is not a preferred shot. Always try to wait for a broadside or quartering away shot which result in a much larger target and unobstructed view of the animal’s vitals.

Quote Originally Posted by SwietsRick
    A bow hunter should never, under any circumstances, shoot at an animal that is quartering, or angled, towards them. This is an extremely low percentage shot as the vitals are protected by the front leg and shoulder. Placing an arrow in front of the shoulder at this angle will most likely result in a wounded animal with the best case scenario being a single-lung hit with a moderate to difficult recovery. Placing an arrow behind the shoulder may result in a single lung and liver hit at best, while quit often resulting in a paunch shot animal and making for a lengthy and difficult recovery.

The firearms hunter can take a quartering toward shot and break the front leg and shoulder, resulting in a clean and effective kill. However, we must stress that this is not a preferred shot. Always try to wait for a broadside or quartering away shot which result in a much larger target and unobstructed view of the animal’s vitals.

that is how she was quartering...almost identical...i aimed about an inch to the left of the shoulder, knowing that I couldn't penetrate the shoulder blade...still can't figure out where I hit her though???

I pass on that shot

I had a doe offer that shot to me on Friday for what seemed like an eternity then she turned broadside, but before I could draw she was gone. I don't regret passing that shot at all. It's not a shot that I feel offers a big enough kill zone for me to take it.

I would presume here?

meaning at the angle from a stand (I presume) or ground shot (I don't think you said) this is the arrow flight path would have hit. you judge If you shot lower you more than likely missed any vitals from a 25 foot stand or higher

Last edited by SwietsRick; October 10th, 2006 at 02:52 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast