Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Your Opinion Deer Prefer Corn or Acorns?

In Your Opinion Deer Prefer Corn or Acorns?

Hunted last night in a pretty grove of white oaks and to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been hunted.Acorns were falling like squirrels were shaking the trees but I didn't see a single deer. I do however see deer feeding just before dark in the corn fields.
    I am led to believe they prefer corn or do you think with the full moon they may be hitting the acorns in the mniddle of the day?
    Its frustrating not to see deer in 3 trips out.

Vectrix XL Inferno, Vulcan -Limb Driver Pro,Viper Scopes, HHA, Vital Gear Quadangle, Winners' Choice Bowstrings - Carter Solution 2.5 Indoor Tru Ball Pro Diamond for Hunting Easton FMJ's Rage 2 Blade
    Hoyt Vulcan 30" 60lb.440gr. Easton 400 Full Metal Jacket---270 fps
    Hold Until it Hurts >>>---------> Release

My experience is that nothing is prefered over

corn (EXCEPT PEANUTS)!

for me acorns have been the best mainly in the morning and espically on travel routes to and from a corn feild. if you find a grove of acorn bearing trees back from a corn feild 100-250yds this is a great place to hunt a stageing area. they will arrive here to browse until it get dark enought they feel comfortable to go into the feild. find one of thease locations and the hunting can be amazing but make sure the acorn crop is good in that area. they come and go in cycles so maybe next year the trees that had a ton of acorns have none and vice versa. this in my experience has worked great hope it will help you. good luck
    Switchback 29"/70# 5 pin Hunter Hogg-it with wraps/Sims modular Stablizer Vibekiller By CHL Spot Hogg Whammy-GT 55/75 and 350 Maximas custom wraps with mini Blazers
    Great review of Vibekiller By Doc: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=377937

Ttt
    Vectrix XL Inferno, Vulcan -Limb Driver Pro,Viper Scopes, HHA, Vital Gear Quadangle, Winners' Choice Bowstrings - Carter Solution 2.5 Indoor Tru Ball Pro Diamond for Hunting Easton FMJ's Rage 2 Blade
    Hoyt Vulcan 30" 60lb.440gr. Easton 400 Full Metal Jacket---270 fps
    Hold Until it Hurts >>>---------> Release

acorns except when there is snow cover and the temps are down- then corn

When I'm hunting an area that has no grain crops,I've found pin oak acorns to be money.If you've got corn in your immediate area they'll use it hard til it's pretty much gone and then keep using it,picking up the little tidbits that were missed here and there.Corn is where you should be if it's close.Like Stevie said,theyll pick up some acorns to and from but in my experience corn will by far be the preferred food source.I don't know about the temps where your hunting but around here it's still pretty green so,there's lot's of browse left and I don't think the deer are on the acorns really hard just yet.I have a wheat field behind my house and every evening I have a bunch of deer that'll come out and feed on the wheat for 15 minutes or so then walk right past a red oak that's loaded and stop under a pin oak for a couple minutes,then move on to wherever they're headed to feed for the night.
    PSE DNA
    Trophy ridge react
    Qad hdx
    Black eagle carnivores
    Slick tricks

They will leave all feeders when the acorns start to fall here in MO.
    Bowtech Admiral--Hoyt Vtec

Acorns if there are any.

White oaks ,corn when it gets colder.I have been seeing them in picked bean fields also.

We don't ahve vast corn fields here in Arkansas, so I cannot say anything about corn on the stalk. I can say though that the deer here will not tary long over dried corn out of feeders when acorns are available. White oaks and almost all other varieties prefered to red oak acorns, but any acorn over corn. Now Buck Grub will still bring them in to check the feeder daily though.
    befus

07 Martin Bengal 61#; 30"
    Sword Twilight Hunter/Anchor Sight
    WB/Fletch Hunter Deluxe Release; Posten Woodsman I
    ICS Hunters; 2" Blazers/85 gr. Slick Tricks

I have always thought deer preferd fields early and late after the acorns ran out. But always the acorns come during the middle to late season depending on the size of the acorn crop

I bet if you would have shot one of those deer you would have found they probably had eaten acorns before going into the cornfield. I think white oak acorns are their number one food, but they will eat other things on the way to and from food sources.

Quote Originally Posted by house
    They will leave all feeders when the acorns start to fall here in MO.
    IMO, it is not just the MO area!
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity, because if you lick it once, you suck forever!!!"

Romans 14:2 "One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only."

acorns

acorns, acorns, and just for a change of pace acorns

early when they start dropping they definitely prefer acorns and the problem with hunting deer during this period is that the acorns are usually scattered everywhere. if you can find a isolated area with abundance of acorns you can bet deer will be using the area!!!!!!!!!! deer really need acorns to build fat for the winter in alot of areas!!!!!!!!!!

Oh boy, I 've had to fight that battle a few times. At home in La. if there was a good white oak acorn crop corn was a total waste of time. Now food plots with well fertilized rye grass or what ever worked pretty good after all the foilage had fallen, but where we were there wasn't a lot of winter crops planted either.
    (son)Martin Bengal (daughter)Diamond by Bowtech (Me)PSE Archery
    Easton Epic ST
    one cross, three nails, forgiven

Acorns, ESPECIALLY the white oak variety. If you can find a mature white oak tree that is dropping acorns you can find deer!
    PSE DNA
    Bowtech Experience

White Oak Acorns

Around SE minnesota once the acorns start to drop, the deer are on them instantly...over corn, beans, alfalfa, or anything else. White oak acorns are preffered by deer over most other food sources

Acorns no question about it, at least in our area. They will abandon all foods when white oaks start to fall. It took me several years, but I have learned my lesson on this.
    Hoyt Protec Cam 1/2
    Tru Ball Chappy Boss
    Spitfire Broadheads
    Axis arrows

Acorns all the way.
    2006 Bowtech Allegiance
    Vital Bow Gear Trapper 3 pin
    Drop Zone
    Broadhead...Depends on what I am hunting
    30" at 70# 407 grain arrow at 305 FPS

you have to remember acorns are supplied by nature and corn is a man-made induced feed source years of natural insticnt will always revert to what nature supplies for them

I found two giant white oaks dropping a ton of acorns on the property I hunt. I also found a rub about 30 yards away and piles and piles of deer crap. So, on my first (and only) time out this year I set up my stand 10 yards away and at 6:30 in the evening I had a nice 8 point buck about 50 yards away and 10 minutes later I had 3 does directly below my stand. I'm pretty sure that they had just left a bedding area so I was in a location between their bedding area and a corn field that is located on the other side of the woods to the north. It appears that they stopping to eat the acorns on the way to the corn field.
    PSE Full Throttle 60/30
    Mathews Chillr 70/29.5

If the deer have access to corn year around, I believe that it will be their preferred food source.

However in Georgia, we did a little unofficial experiment a few years ago. We planted cow peas and set up a tripod feeder in very close proximity to White Oaks. The deer, which had not been exposed to corn ate it the least of the three. The White Oaks were much preferred, then the peas and finally the corn.

Where i hunt they will pass up acorns to get to the corn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast