Thread: What does dove taste like?

What does dove taste like?

I want to bird hunt again so bad but only thing they have down here in Louisiana to hunt is Dove. I have been told it taste alot like liver, which is yuck in my book. I used to quail hunt in California and really miss that and loved quail... but don't wanna go shot something I will not eat. Thanks

Here is how I cook doves:

Remove breast from dove and remove skin

wash thoroughly and pat dry with paper towel

Marinate with Italian dressing in a GLASS bowl overnight

Cut bacon strips in half/ roll small balls of cheap sausage

wrap 1/2 bacon strip around dove breast and secure with toothpick/ stick small ball of sausage behind bacon on inside of breast

grill for 10 minutes breast down.(sausage up)

turn once and grill for 10 more minutes.

do NOT overcook!!!

more like dark chicken meat than liver.

Lip smackin' good.

I can go for dark chicken meat.. that is usually the juicy part of the chicken... thanks.. guess i will now need to find me a place I can knock em outta the sky...

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Northforker

wrap 1/2 bacon strip around dove breast and secure with toothpick/ stick small ball of sausage behind bacon on inside of breast

do NOT overcook!!!

Lip smackin' good.
    A waste of good bacon!

You can still eat the bacon. LOL

whole

I pluck them and leave the skin on, then pot roast with some andouille sausage in a brown gravy. Serve over rice. They taste like mild ducks. Not as good as quail, but those are few and far between down here.

If you're looking to bird hunt, start duck hunting. La has lots of ducks, and wood duck spots are easy to find on public land.

Dove has a full rich flavor, somewhere between spotted owl and bald eagle.

I have never heard a bad thing about way dove taste! I cooked some up this weekend and everyone thought they were great including some girls that don't like game. Plus they are really fun to shoot....if you can hit them. Also La has some of the best duck hunting around.

Breast the dove and marinate in Italian or even teriyaki.

Layer cream cheese and japs (if you like them) in between two breast halves. Wrap in bacon and cinch with a toothpick. Then plop them on the grill until the bacon is cooked. They are some of my favorite birds to eat.

Well, I've cooked it a many a way, bu the best and easiest I think is slice of jalopeno, slice of apple, seasoned, wrapped in bacon and straight on the grill. I had a small party right after opening day and cooked up 35 just like that. And to me.... they taste like steak. My wife had dove before we got together and she didn't like it. Now she loves it and even eats it with A1 sauce.

-DD

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy95
    I want to bird hunt again so bad but only thing they have down here in Louisiana to hunt is Dove. I have been told it taste alot like liver, which is yuck in my book. I used to quail hunt in California and really miss that and loved quail... but don't wanna go shot something I will not eat. Thanks
    To get rid of that wild/liver taste.. i rub it with mayonaisse or miracle whip, wrap in bacon and grill it, like suggested here. The mayo thing works well for all game.. it really does get rid of the gamey taste and does not make it taste like mayo... try it, you'll like it!

dove meat does have a slight liver taste to it.

I hate liver but Dove is one of my favorite wild meats. We just floured the breasts and fried in a skillet like fried chicken. Then with the drippings made white flour gravy and served with mashed potatoes and it is wonderful...

good luck,
    thenson
    Vortex Field Staff / Victory Archery National Shooting Staff / Paradigm Field Staff
    / Bowjax Shooting Staff / BullDog Targets - Lifetime Warranty / Schrade Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Northforker

do NOT overcook!!!

Lip smackin' good.
    I do these the same way but with ranch dressing vice Italian. Very tasty and I agree with the dark meat taste of a chicken.
    Mathews Switchback
    NAP 2100
    Toxonics Pro Hunter
    Sims S-Coil
    Beman ICS Hunters

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" Eleanor Roosevelt

We have done similar recipes, wrap breast in bacon with a sliced halapeno, deep frie, eat while hot for best taste.
    Shawn Canada - Crazy Horse Archery & Tackle
    MARTIN PRO SERIES DEALER
    MATHEW & MISSION AUTHORIZED DEALER
    BEAR ARCHERY DEALER
    ELITE ARCHERY DEALER
    ATHENS ARCHERY DEALER
    Spider Twist Bowstrings - Hand Spun - Custome Made Strings - Just like the Spiders Web

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy95
    I don't do liver.. but I love doves.. mostly smoke em... they're delish....

I soak dove breast in buttermilk for a few hours, bread lightly with seasoned flour. Brown both sides in olive oil on medium high making sure some of the flour sticks to the pan for flavor. Remove the dove to drain and reserve about 3 tbsp of your oil in the pan. Add 3 tbsp of flour to make a roux. I then put in water and milk to make an awesome gravy. Put the doves back in and let it simmer for a couple of hours. Serve over rice. You can seson it any way you like. Everybody loves it. This recipe works with anything I kill.
    A bow and some arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by thenson
    I hate liver but Dove is one of my favorite wild meats. We just floured the breasts and fried in a skillet like fried chicken. Then with the drippings made white flour gravy and served with mashed potatoes and it is wonderful...

good luck,
    thenson
    now we are talking.sound like my kind of cooking...
    stephen J.Bear...