a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well it happened..carbon arrow in the hand

Well it happened..carbon arrow in the hand

After flapping my lips about how I'd never seen a carbon arrow break and stick into someone's hand...it happened. Not to me, but to a friend I encouraged to start shooting a bow.

The arrow was a brand new, never shot, Easton ST Epic out of a Diamond Rapture. He'd been shooting 3 of his arrows for practice and flexing them as warned by me and other shooters. He decided to shoot one of the remaining 3 in his case and didn't flex it because it had never been shot. The arrow broke in 3 pieces..the first 15" going just above his target butt into a backstop piece of plywood, the second 4" fell to the ground in front of the bow, the third piece pierced his hand just like the pics we have seen. He's being a good sport about it and not really complaining. He called Easton and they are really concerned, they are supposed to call him back today. He realizes aluminum could do the same thing, but says that the pieces would be easier to get out of his hand..LOL..

Flex-em boys and girls...every single one of them.

Ouch!!

This is my only fear in archery. I cant amagine all of the tiny fiberglass splinters.

Iowa City, IA. La Grange, IL. Traverse City, MI
    OOOO

ouch, no pictures needed.

What was his bow spec? Do you think it was a manufacturing defect? or was this a cutting problem? ie. injured shaft during assembly?

Archers should never get complacient, right when ya think it can't happen it will... hope his hand heals quickely..

Oh man OUCH no kidding well gotta go and flex my new arrows.
    https://www.facebook.com/extremebowstrings M4L Team Shooter, www.MartinArchery.com Professional String Maker for Extreme Bowstrings. Visit our website at www.extremebowstrings.com ph 402-750-9621 or e-mail us at ron@extremebowstrings.com A Martin/Rytera PRO Series Dealer, Distributor for Brownell and Bcy products.

He's on his third trip to the doc to pull splinters. They aren't going to cut open the hand..just pull them out as they appear.

carbon arrow

Doug is this the gentleman that we shot with in Anchorage this summer?
    I guess the big question is how bad is the injury. Will he be able to do leagues this winter? Looking foreward to shooting with him again.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug
    [. . .] He realizes aluminum could do the same thing [. . .]
    Where did he get this idea?

I've never heard of an aluminum arrow just breaking up and stabbing into a shooter's hand. And if it ever did happen it certainly doesn't come close to the frequency of times it happens with carbons.
    Merlin SuperNova
    SureLoc Challenger w/ Impact Cosmic DX Scope.
    Trophy Taker Spring Steel Rest.
    Super-Stix Stabilizer / Easton Platinum Plus Aluminums.
    Tru-Fire Hurricane Release.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    Where did he get this idea?

I've never heard of an aluminum arrow just breaking up and stabbing into a shooter's hand. And if it ever did happen it certainly doesn't come close to the frequency of times it happens with carbons.

MikeK it happens with aluminum too.

10 or even 5 years ago when aluminums were the norm, and carbons a new thing people didn't have access to the internet the way they do now.

So one carbon arrow blows up now 10000 people see it.

One aluminum blows up 10 years ago and 15 people see it 100 maybe hear about it at the local archery store, or through some friends.

Now carbon is a standard, people see it more.

The first pictures of arrows through hands were ALL aluminums.

In fact i've never seen a picture of a carbon through a hand, certainly heard about it.

The only thing that is worse about the carbons is that you have fibers, instead of a tube.

Angry Oh @#@%!

Hope he's ok! Man that *****!

Tell him we are thinking about him!

Good luck man!
    2012 CPXL, Spot Hogg Hunter wrapped, " 10 Crackers Custom, Spot Hogg Hunter wrapped, QAD HD, Tilttamer, CS Max Hunters, Crackerized, Doinker Spot Hogg Wise Guy! THANKS to Bowtech, T.R.U. Ball, Crackers, Tinks, Spot Hogg, TOAD Presses, and Bucknasty Strings and Cables For supporting the Troops!!! " U Crackerized?

Man that is terrible stuff. I hope it heals correctly. carbon fiber stuck under that skin gets nasty.
    About the aluminum arrow deal. Last year I bought a half dozen XX78 2413 arrows off the selve at a local retailer just basically wanted to see if they flew better than the 2512's I was messing with.
    Brand new out of the box two broke right out of the box on the first shot. Snapped in flight.
    Missing the target completely. One hit the shed to he right of the butt.
    I shot a total of 4 shots and surrendered. Inspected the remaining four could not find any issues. They got retired any way. Been shooting the 2512's since. This was the only time I had had arrow failure in my life.
    Durham County Wildlife Club Archery Chairman - Where NFAA Field Archery Lives www.dcwc.net

Martin M4L Team, Scepter 4 Furious X, Razor X Nitrous and Slayer X SE, Stan, Sure loc, Brite site, Winners Choice, Carbon Express

when in doubt overspine!

aluminum?

sure it does

overbowed and underspined will do it every time regardless of the material used to make an arrow

*Pictures removed - bowsmith*
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bowsmith; October 20th, 2006 at 09:54 PM.
    When the war is over soldiers come home, SAILORS dont. WE will always stand a vigilant watch to protect YOUR way of life.
    It's not that I'm cranky, I just dont care what you think.
    Google isnt all that difficult to use, i'm not gonna spoon feed you info that you're too lazy to look up.

Hoyt Carbon Matrix ld
    Hoyt UltraElite & Pro Elite

It happened here today too.

posted 10-19-2006 10:26 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copied from ALDEER
    I came home today and wanted to get a few shots in before my daughter's soccer game. Well, I was rushing because I was late and all I can figure is I loaded my arrow BESIDE my rest and this was the result...

No stitches, just an arrow sized hole about a 1/2 inch deep from where the arrow broke. The doc fished out several carbon pieces (this hurt like hell). I thought my bow season was gonna be cut short but the doc said that I should be good to go as long as I kept it clean and dressed properly and could tolerate some pain. The funny thing was there was a kid in the ER for exactly the same reason. What are the odds?

Lesson learned: don't rush.....it leads to carelessnes.

--------------------

**Pictures Removed - bowsmith**
    Last edited by bowsmith; October 20th, 2006 at 09:53 PM.

I have never heard of flexing your arrows before shooting them. I dont want to hijack this thread but is that standard practice?

Quote Originally Posted by jimposten
    I have never heard of flexing your arrows before shooting them. I dont want to hijack this thread but is that standard practice?
    Yep...

And I've had Aluminum break also... Last one was a 2613 two years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by VaBowHntr7
    This is my only fear in archery. I cant amagine all of the tiny fiberglass splinters.
    JFYI,
    these are fiberglass shafts, they are carbon fiber shafts which if left in the body can cause serious infections.

If you are not doing it...

Quote Originally Posted by jimposten
    you better start.

On the way back from the target just bend them back and forth. If you hear any cracking sounds...inspect closer.
    Tom
    AT ~ If you sift through the BS, disregard the fanatics, and learn who to listen to...you get really good advice.

a lot of this going on right now just about makes you think about going back to aluminum arrows.

Carbon shafts shattering and injuring people is without a doubt a reality and it seems to be getting more and more frequent. Two months ago a gold tip 5575 broke in three pieces and shot into my wrist. I am having surgery to remove the rest of the arrow and repair the ligaments and tendons next week. My doctor already told me that my hand will never be the same.

im serious thats a unreal this stuff is happening. Its scary. Will you be able to shoot again.

Rock Monkey.....can you please pm me that pic that was removed? If you need my email address I will send it to you. I want to be able to show my son what the consequences can be of unsafe equipment when not inspected properly.

Not seeing it is like telling him not to walk in front of a speeding car, and when he says "Why not?", telling him to go try it and find out. Sometimes other peoples misfortunes can educate and prevent!!!

I had 6 Easton Epic St 400 that were used in rotation for 3-D and they were flexed after every shot....my buddy asked why do I keep doing that and at that instant the shaft broke into 3 pieces then he say's ah I see now.

Two out of a dozen 2 did not pass the flex test. They were all shot into targets none hit the ground can't say as to what they have hit in the targets field tips, broken shafts who knows....

I do not buy used carbon arrows nor do I shoot other peoples carbon arrows. I shoot a lot during the year and always discard the arrows after a year and buy new ones its cheap insurance.

If ya watch a high speed video of a carbon arrow at launch its amazing how much it flex's and after a period of time of releasing the arrow then pulling, bending, twisting and some times two guys yanking them out of new targets the bonding material will fatigue and start to break down.
    "Kiss your spouse, hug your kids, shake your friends hand and thank God for what's be been given to you"

Quote Originally Posted by pseshooter300
    a lot of this going on right now just about makes you think about going back to aluminum arrows.
    Now, with the internet, the rising number of archers and most people shooting carbons, it's no wonder you hear about it on a fairly regular basis. Imagine if the internet was available when only wood and aluminum was available. You undoubtedly would feel then about aluminum/wood the same way as you do about carbon now. I have only ever witnessed one arrow explosion and it was wood. I personally know two people who have been injured when an arrow broke....one carbon and one aluminum. It could get you either way. Just check them thoroughly and be safe, everyone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast