a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Public Land Hunting In Oklahoma

Public Land Hunting In Oklahoma

I'm looking at doing a do it yourself hunt in Oklahoma and was would like information about which areas of the state are good and if any locations have little pressure. I've never hunted out of Tenn. so this would be all new to me. I checked with a couple of outfitters but it would be more fun on my own. Please PM me if you have any information to share.

there is some decent public hunting in western and northwestern oklahoma.

public hunting

most of the hunting pressure on public land is east of interstate 35. simply due to the number of hunters, if you go west of interstate 35 not near the public land but also less pressure. i have wanted to go out to the northwest area of state on public land but havent made it yet. might check some of those areas. the heavier deer are located in that part of the state. good luck

Go as far away from the population centers as humanly possible. I hunted in OK 1 year near Ponca City. It got to the point that even after the muzzle loader season had come and gone I still wore blaze orange because a few of the "bowhunters", a phrase which in this post would be like reffering to a hooker as a "lady", were that stupid. I was walking out of the woods after dark on night and some moron in a tree took a shot at me, On another occasion, I shot at a small 8 point and missed judged the yardage and just drew fur but to be cautious I went to the truck and put away my bow because it was dark and I needed a bigger light than I normally carry to verify that I did not draw blood. Some muzzle loader bows saw me head back to the woods with a light and asked what was going on. When I told them that I shot at a little 8 they interuppted me and said "you saw a deer with antlers?!?!?!?" Twenty guys get up to go blood trail this deer that any other time and any other place I would not have even thought about shooting at. I again tell them that when I first shot I had my small light out and could not find any blood and that I was going to verify that I had only given him a lesson and a hair cut. Besides half were already toasty . Don't get me wrong had I killed the little guy the help getting him out of the woods would have been much appriciated but I don't enjoy walking through the woods with a few drunks in tow. I enjoy my beer more than the next guy but when I am any where near the woods there is no Booze!!

Sorry for the rant!

Any way western OK should be a god place to head.

Marc

what part of oklahoma are you looking to hunt? I know a few spots in southern part. Shoot me pm and I'll see if I can help.

Yeah, what part? I'm in NE Oklahoma.

i myself will be hunting the Hal and Fern Cooper, Canton, Optima, and Black kettle WMA's. but here are some of the better western oklahoma wmas:
    black kettle wma 30,710acres(roger mills cnty)
    sandy sanders wma19,100acres(greer and becklam cnty)
    Altus Lugert wma3,600acres(greer and kiowa cnty) the biologist for this wma said he would suggest bringing waders
    Canton wma 14,877acres(blane, dewey, and major cnty)
    Optima wma 8,062 (texas cnty)
    packsaddle wma 17,000acres (ellis cnty)
    ellis county wma 4,800acres(ellis cnty)
    Hal and Fern Cooper wma 16,080acres (it has 4,500acres of riverbottom )woodward and harper cnty
    Beaver River wma 17,700acres (beaver cnty)
    there is also fort supplywma 5,418acres(woodward cnty) but i think this one might be by a draw and traditional archery equipment only. or it's on the property that the ammunition plant sit on that's by a draw for traditional only. (and they get some whoppers out of there).
    Biologists:
    Danny Watson 806-339-5175 Optima and Beaver wma's
    Scott Perry 580-939-2236 Black Kettle, Packsaddle, and Ellis Wma's
    Eddie Wilson 580-334-0343 Hal and Fern Cooper, and Fort Supply Wma's
    Ron Smith 580-471-3371 Sandy Sanders and Altus Lugert wma's
    Steve Conrady 580-541-5346 Canton Wma

hope all this info helps..
    Last edited by ELITE@LAST; October 24th, 2006 at 01:42 PM.

What can be expected?

What caliber of deer can I expect to see? Around home there are very few bucks that I would consider shooters. The information that has been shared has been a big help. I won't be able to go this year but plan on the next. When would be the best time to plan on going? Around the opener or wait unitl pre-rut/rut?

Acres and acres of public land in southeastern OK. You'd be surprized at the size of deer down there. If you're going with a gun, I'd say you have a decent chance at a 2 1/2 or older buck. With a bow, you can probably see some or even have a chance at a nice one. The biggest problem is choosing a place to put a stand...so much land, so many options. Get a topo of the area and learn it best you can and go from there.

Pushmataha WMA just south of Clayton, OK is a bowhunting area only except for a few special draw gun hunts.

I just got back from a hunt at the Black Kettle WMA (Waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy Western OK...Roger Mills county). It is not hunted hard except during rifle season and the quail season (Nov. 11). Amazing # of deer and turkey. One of the guys on the trip shot a pretty good crooked rack buck.

We are planning a spring turkey hunt out there and a return visit during next bow season.

Ttt

Ttt

If you are going bow only I would check out James Collins WMA. It is a bow only area.

Canton is a great area to bowhunt. I would recommend not going during rifle or muzzleloader season but there are a lot of deer out ther. And some pretty big ones to boot. Black Kettle is more of a rifle hunter's area. If you are lookin in east central lake thunderbird is a great option. There is a lot of private leased hunting land all around it and its bowhunting only. You have to be willling to hike a ways to get to a good spot but there are a lot of deer in there. I'm gonna have to say whatever you hunt get a topo of the area. it will help when you go scouting because you know what are you looking at when you go in.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchies
    If you are going bow only I would check out James Collins WMA. It is a bow only area.
    where about is that located?? i'm around amarillow.. is it more eastern ok???

Quote Originally Posted by hutchies
    where about is that located?? i'm around amarillo.. is it more eastern ok??? i'm also looking at the optima, hal and fern cooper, and the altus lugert anyone have any experience at these places??? i'm not really looking for big antlers just a good concentration of deer. also anyone have any info on mulies in oklahoma?? any help you guys could give me would be great.

whoops on the first one.....

your only shot at a muley in oklahoma would be way up northwest around colorado. thats about it as far as those go to my knowledge.

yeah the guy at the optima says they have a small number of em...

Guys we could do some public hunting together. I'm sure that between all of us we have enough knowledge about these places we could all get something nice.

I didn't know you were after mulies.

Whitetails

I'm only after whitetails. Thanks for all the information, it's given me a lot to look and and study for the next year.

i'm actually looking to join a group of hunters...i'm new to the area and don't have any family or friends within 700 miles from here...so if you're serious i would definitely take you up on that group hunting in oklahoma.. i won't be able to do it til next year though...send me an email...
    bowtech4me@sbcglobal.net

Hulah has some great hunting just north of Bartlesville. And Ft. Supply near Woodward has some brutes on it. Seriously Ft. supply has some great deer on it and get back off the roads a mile or two and you'll see a bunch of 2 1/2 year old deer and up. Its not a problem to see one or two mature deer a day.
    Anyone can wish but it takes hard work to make dreams come true.