Thread: How far a deer can smell you

How far a deer can smell you

I say I have been smelled 300yrds and farther. Especially in open fields.

Winds swirls and carries in thermals. There nose works very well.

Whats your thoughts on how far a deer can smell you. Im told Elk can smell you even farther.

Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

In street clothes ... no cologne or other smelly stuff on me .... I would say 100 yards max.

If I had been sampling from the mens smelly stuff isle in Macy's all morning maybe 150-200 ....
    Bowtech Allegiance
    65lbs 28"

Hoyt AM32
    70lbs 27.5"

My rule of thumb has been 150 yards. That’s not to say under certain conditions you wont get picked of farther out but over 150 I’ve been picked off very few times. Scent is broken down to a non-alarming amount by then.

I was out with my FIL scouting some new property. We came up to a fence row and saw some deer feeding across the field on the other side. We were facing west and the wind was coming from the NE. It was like our scent created a straight line and as soon as the deer crossed that line they spooked. Those deer were at least 300 yds away.

"Scent is broken down to a non-alarming amount by then.".....that is the million dollar answer there...I have read where they can smell you over a half mile away easy...it is just whether they want to react to it or not....They determine their tolerance level and it varies minute to minute.....When you have deer down range of you, there is NOTHING you can do to keep them from smelling you, it's just up to them to determine their comfort level of how much they want to tolerate.....one magazine author wrote that he dressed in a plastic suit, taped up the ankle, wrist, waist, neck, everywhere, wore rubber boots, used scent lok suit over that, etc, etc....and he was still convienced by the actions of the deer that he was being smelled downwind over a 1/4 mile away....hunting with the wind in your favor is probably the single best deer tactic out there....without a doubt.....K
    Just give me my ol' Browning bow and a Magnus broadhead...and somethings going in the freezer!!
    And you'll never hear me say "Where's my release?"...LOL!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/ytailhtr2

I would say in my experience 250 yds. But I also believe that deer will become familiar with your scent. I walk my property every day, and does don't seem to mind much. But If I walk with someone else all I see is tails.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone
    I say I have been smelled 300yrds and farther. Especially in open fields.

Winds swirls and carries in thermals. There nose works very well.

Whats your thoughts on how far a deer can smell you. Im told Elk can smell you even farther.
    Dan, check and make sure you took that onion out of your hood....
    famous Chris Bracket quote.
    "BUT THE MAIN REASON I SHOOT A RAGE IS THAT IF A GIANT WHITETAIL STEPS OUT AND I ONLY HAVE ONE SHOT AND ITS VITALS ARE BEHIND A TREE I CAN PULL MY PIN TO THE CENTER OF ITS GUTS AND PULL THE TRIGGER AND THE BUCK WONT BE FATHER THEN 100 YARDS 6 HOURS LATER!!!! DEAD DEER WALKING!!!!! BOOYAH!!!!!!"

300 easy!

In Montana...huge fields all scent locked up inc head and mouth cover,dead down wind everything,scent free washed towels even to dry off with after my ddw shower....300yds easy downwind.Couldnt believe but its true.

Never see it here cause I cant see that far!
    2014 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite IBO setup,2014 Hoyt Pro Edge Elite ASA setup
    2014 Hoyt Pro Edge Elite IBO setup,2013 Hoyt Spyder 34 w/Z5s...critters
    2012 PSE 0men Pr0... just awesome,2014 Elite E35, 2014Mathews Chill X

half-mile away.
    Aim LOW

Quote Originally Posted by ELKhuntR
    half-mile away.

I have been told the same thing from several guides.

this is it...

I TOTALLY AGREE HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ytailhtr
    "Scent is broken down to a non-alarming amount by then.".....that is the million dollar answer there...I have read where they can smell you over a half mile away easy...it is just whether they want to react to it or not....They determine their tolerance level and it varies minute to minute.....When you have deer down range of you, there is NOTHING you can do to keep them from smelling you, it's just up to them to determine their comfort level of how much they want to tolerate.....one magazine author wrote that he dressed in a plastic suit, taped up the ankle, wrist, waist, neck, everywhere, wore rubber boots, used scent lok suit over that, etc, etc....and he was still convienced by the actions of the deer that he was being smelled downwind over a 1/4 mile away....hunting with the wind in your favor is probably the single best deer tactic out there....without a doubt.....K

Leonard Lee Rue once wrote that a deer can smell a frozen potato under a foot of snow from a 100 yards. What chance do I have have of fooling a nose like that?

Hmmm..

Guess with all that is being said in this thread, it just goes to show you that A LOT OF LUCK is involved in harvesting a deer when in fact fooling a deer's nose is the hardest thing to do... Luck is everything in this sport.

After many years of "field research" my "proffesional" opinion is........REALLY F#@&%ING FAR

Josh
    cause the registration of all firearms on some pretext, with the view of confiscating them and leaving the population defenseless." --Vladimir Ilich Lenin
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of ******ed sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis.
    "If someone is so fearful that they are going to start using their weapons to protect their rights, it makes me very nervous that these people have weapons at all." ~Rep. Henry Waxman, Kalifornistans 30th

A whole lot further then one would think, they some times except it when they are far enough away that the scent is very faint

Still amazes me

Wind thremals can carry scent a long way.

I do believe some deer smell better than others or maybe there just less tolarate of smells.

Had two small bucks about 30 to 40yrds away last night. Wind was kinda swirling. Bucks seemed to smell me at times but keep feeding due to open field and they could see no appartent danger.

Three does step to the tree and start to feed. One does catchs my drift and there out of there.

Im thinking about gettting higher all the time, beginning to think that may help more than anything. Yes, I do hunt the wind.
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

man i must have some really dumb deer in my area cause i don't think i have ever been winded. busted moving, yes. but as "good?" as i stink when i go to the stand. started washing all my clothes in scent killer and before i get to the opening of my area i'll take some good kansan grown marijuana and rub it all over my clothes

no, never once have i got the munchies from doing this.

another thing might be is they are pretty used to people on the land since the farmer that owns it is down there quite a bit checking cattle, irrigation, cutting hay, and finally removing dead timber.

kinda nice that he will stay out once oct.1st hits.