Thread: 2006 All Japan Target Archery Competition

2006 All Japan Target Archery Competition

2006 All Japan Target Archery Competition was held at Yamaguchi-shi from Oct, 27 to Oct, 29.
    This is my first time to compete at this big Target Archery competition.
    I am compound archer and this thread discrbes compound dev. mainly.
    I was very comfident to win this competition(Only pre-qualification round though), because I made 1374 and 1381 a week ago even in strong wind condition.
    But...On the day of pre-qualification round...I could not make good scores.
    Even though there were strong wind, I think I should've made more than 1350. but, I just found myself as arrogant country chicken.

I thought I was cool mentally, but my body was not controlled properly.
    Many stupid shots from grip torque, this made groupings on 9 or 8zones vertically. I need more experience at big games and mental training.

Only 16 top archers were allowed for this compeittion, and I finished this qualification round as 4th with score 1338.

Mr.Akira Yamada finished the pre-qualification round as 1st with score 1360.
    Even he won next days's final tournament. This was his 5th time to win All-Japan TA.

One comment from a friend made my mind relieved "You did shoot well, even though you have not practiced enough since August, because of the archery range were collapsed by the Typhoon".
    Just happy with his comment, but I found myself angry at myself during driving back home.

My competition was finished at the pre-qualification round, because I don't have Japanese nationality. Only top 8 compound archers were allowed for the final tourment round, but I had to go back home, even I finished as 4th at the pre-qualification round.

Anyway...I really enjoyed the All-Japan!!! Cheers!

Picture with the famous recurve archer, Mr.Hiroshi Yamamoto
    I was top 2 with score 1313 at the pre-qualification round, but he finished as 19th at the final tournament.

My friend luckily took picture with the first lady of Japan.

My archery friends from Kyushu, we had a dinner at a Sushi restaurent..

With top ranked recurve archers, Ms.Hayakawa she started her archery at S.Korea, She changed her nationality a year ago.

I started compeitions wearing cowboy hat, but strong wind allowed me only head band.

Winner of compund div. Mr.Akira Yamada, Ms.Yukari Watanabe

Legendary compound archer of Japan, Akira Yamada....
    He still use his old bow, PSE Nova...
    He told me he will compete till 100 years old, then with some luck, can get over the wall of 1400. His best score is still 1382.

Female archers for compound div.

Japanese Nationality??

Congratulations on taking part in the AJTA championships. Sorry you didn't do as well as you hoped
    I see you met my friend Mr. Yamada. I have run into him often over the past few months. I think the lady wearing blue in the last picture is also from Gifu?

You mentioned that you are not able advance past the pre-qualification round because you don't have Japanese nationality?? Please explain. Are you saying that only Japanese are allowed to win ???

I am a Canadian living in Japan so I am curious about the rules.

Canjapan

Thanks for the pictures, looks like you had fun!

Good pictures, thanks for sharing. The location looks High and open the wind will make a real challenge there.

Great story and pictures, thanks for sharing.
    Vortex Field Staff / Victory Archery National Shooting Staff / Paradigm Field Staff
    / Bowjax Shooting Staff / BullDog Targets - Lifetime Warranty / Schrade Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Canjapan2003
    Congratulations on taking part in the AJTA championships. Sorry you didn't do as well as you hoped
    I see you met my friend Mr. Yamada. I have run into him often over the past few months. I think the lady wearing blue in the last picture is also from Gifu?

You mentioned that you are not able advance past the pre-qualification round because you don't have Japanese nationality?? Please explain. Are you saying that only Japanese are allowed to win ???

I am a Canadian living in Japan so I am curious about the rules.

Canjapan
    Thank you for your comment!! Canjapan!
    and, good to know there is another foreign archer in Japan.

The lady in blue is also from Kifu-ken, her name is Maeda, A very good student of Mr.Yamada.
    You can find more picures from my website
    http://rambo.metroflex-samurai.com

This was my second time to meet Mr.Yamada at All-Japan, I also met him at All-Japan-Indoor in this March.
    Currently AJAF doesn't allow foreign members to compete at the final tournamet of All-Japan competition of Targe, Field, and Indoor.
    Foreign members of AJAF is only allowed for pre-qualification round of the All Japan. however I have been allowed to win other competitions like Kitakyush-shi, Fukuoka-ken, and All-Kyushu, I have won all of them.
    This January I faxed to AJAF, I personally faxed to AJAF for this problem and told them this kind of discrimination should be removed. I also told them I have paid same membership fee to AJAF, and paid taxes etc to Japanese Goverment, but Why I cannot compete at the Final tournamet? etc.
    AJAF didn't give me their answer, they just informed to Fukuoka-ken AF(FAF), and Fukuoka-ken AF informed to Kitakyushu-shi AF about my fax to AJAF.
    This was a big big trouble for me at the time, Kitakyushu-shi AF(KFA)'s president was very angry at me, and tried to fire me from KAF and FAF.
    Some other directors were against him and kept me doing archery contineously.
    But, my archery team decided to fire me, the president of FKA was a boss of my team. they thought I was a very dangerous thing to have in their team.
    Luckily(?) I could continue archery here in Japan, but I was not allowed to compete at any archery competitoins till April by the boss guy. I really want to compete at the All Japan Filed, but I couldn't have enough competitions.
    This kind of trouble also happened before for another foreign member from USA.. but nothing was changed.
    I want to compete again and again at the All Japan series as possible as I can, and hope my apperance at the All Japan changes their rule against foreign members.

One more thing I want from AJAF is that give more trouphies and certificates to compound archers! I know Recurve is the most important for AJAF, because of the Olyimpics. however they are not pair to compound archers.
    They give trophies and certificate to recurve winners from 1st to 6th(or 8th).
    but to compound winner, they only give trophies and certificate to the 1st winner. this is very strange and hard to understand for me.
    But, no direct complaint to them, because I want to do archery.

Tristanc
    Last edited by tristanc; November 3rd, 2006 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cc46
    Thanks for the pictures, looks like you had fun!
    Thanks for your comment CC46!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytee
    Good pictures, thanks for sharing. The location looks High and open the wind will make a real challenge there.
    Thanks for your comment jerrytee!
    Yes the wind was good challenge, and make the big difference in score of real good archer and good archer!! Good experience for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by thenson
    Great story and pictures, thanks for sharing.
    Thanks thenson!!! ^__________^;