Tools needed for D.I.Y. bow work

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Tools needed for D.I.Y. bow work

Hey all. Hopefully someone can help me with getting started at doing all my own work regarding setting up and maintenance on bows. There isn't any real good pro shops near me so I'm wanting to start doing bow work myself instead of depending on someone else and making the drive.

Anyways, I plan on buying tools and material slowly overtime and not a lot all at once. I'm not a new archer, but I'm completely new to knowing what I'm looking at when it comes to tools for bow work. I plan on buying essentials first such as press and a vice. But what brands are versatile and good quality and where to buy from? What's some tools I should put on the list of first things to buy? Is there any good DVDs or books I should purchase to help get me started in performing work for basic setup and tuning? I figure you diy guys might be able to help me out some. Any info and help is very appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Obsession Evolution...QAD HDX...Spot Hogg Fast Eddie...Doinker A-bomb...Stan Shootoff

"Slow em down with an arrow, hit 'em with a big stick" -Beamer (Double Bull)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

I us last chance ez press, got my arrow saw from cabela's I have the 5,000 rpm and does great job but allot of guys will tell yo the 8,000rpm is what you need.I don't cut 1000 arrow so 5,000rpm is perfect. Good allen wrenches, string separating tool for peep placement, get a good vise a cheap one will drive you nuts. Bow scale so you can set poundage, and that will get you started.
    May gods light shine on you, with love and blessings for you, and your family. Mathews prestige, Monster 7

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

a bow square, arrow fletching jig (or just order arrows from southshore). i also use an ez press and love it. get yourself some serving material to tie in peeps and rest launcher strings; some string wax, keep a lighter handy to burn the ends of serving.

you can build a draw board pretty inexpensively, depending on what bow you have, draw boards can come in really really handy. i see elite in your sig, i believe you time elite's cams at full draw, so you'll need a draw board.
    Bowtech D340, 30", 70lb, 487gr BE Carnivores, fps tbd
    D350, 30", 80# Barnsdale's, 642gr GT Kinetic Chaos .200s at 275 fps
    642gr gold tip arrow build: Hidden Content

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Press: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1743629 92safari, I used his press fingers when rebuilding my press and they are a solid design with no other hardware needed to press modern parallel limbs or loaded limbs.

Bow Vise: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...light=bow+vise spewingjason, I use the Apple Bow Vise and it is okay, but this one is on my list.

Apple Arrow Saw: http://applearchery.com/arrow-cutter...vacuum-shroud/ I've been using it for over 15 years and it works great.

Arrow Squaring Device: http://www.lancasterarchery.com/g5-a...vice-tool.html

A good bow weight scale: I still use an old Cabela's spring scale, no longer made, but there are many good scales out now.

Beiter serving jig: http://www.lancasterarchery.com/beit...ng-server.html

Your favorite center serving, can also be used to tie in peeps and such.

Levels: http://www.lancasterarchery.com/r-s-...el-system.html You can buy these components individually if you wish, but this is a great kit if you have the scratch.

Build a DIY Draw board.

Arrow weight scale.

That will get you probably 80% of the way, along with the assorted hand tools you will need like D-loop pliers, Allen wrenches, nock set pliers, a couple of razor knives, bow square, etc.

I use a DIY press based on the Ez press. Allen wrenches , both standard and metric,Vise , Levels ,serving tool and thread , string splitter ,ruler , draw board. If you plan on building your own arrows you'll need a saw , fletching jig , glue. Things that are nice but not necessary would include a hooter shooter and paper tuning stand .

One thing I bought and wish I never did , is a laser tuning tool. I used it 1-2 times and it has sat in the drawer since then. It's just as easy to eyeball it.

Thank you all very much for the replies. Very good info to get me started. I appreciate it! And thank you Rat for all the links, that's a big help

Obsession Evolution...QAD HDX...Spot Hogg Fast Eddie...Doinker A-bomb...Stan Shootoff

I don't much other recommendation than the guys above, but I will give you one piece of advice. Buy the quality tools when you buy them the first time. To get the el cheapos. It will save you the headache, and you'll be much happier working with better tools

I agree BGagner. It's that way with any tool in my opinion. Thanks for the advice. And I forgot I even had elite in my sig cause I'm on tapatalk and don't see my signature when I post. But now I'm shooting an obsession evolution. But I switch bow brands a lot just to try em all out so I want a versatile press. Is the EZ press a good all around press? Basically what I plan on doing for now is just basic setup and tune. Figure I can build a paper rack and then walk back tune from there outside. Not really interested in building arrows cause I don't go through very many unless I have a bad shoot at the 3D course lol, but always order from southshore with no issues. Is there a certain brand of small tools like loop pliers, nock set pliers, etc that I should lean towards

I've used these a couple of times in the pro shop I sometimes visit, they work pretty well. At home I have a set of old Saunders (I thunk) nock set pliers and I use needle nose pliers to set my D-loops.

my personal list:

hand tools and supplies
    -----------------------
    quality allen keys
    quality flat and crosshead screwdriver
    bow square
    needle nosed pliers
    d-loop pliers (just get the Easton Pro and be done with it)
    nockset pliers
    low strength Loctite
    d-loop cord
    tape measure
    wax

serving tools and supplies
    --------------------------
    serving jig (just get a Beiter and be happy)
    centre serving material
    nock tying thread
    peep tying thread
    string separator jig

arrow maintenance
    -----------------
    fletching jig (just get the Bitz)
    fletching stripper
    fletching glue
    small propane torch
    hotmelt glue
    insert glue if you need it
    arrow saw
    arrow spinner if using alloys

workshop tools
    --------------
    bow draw weight scales
    bow press
    bow vice
    draw board
    block target
    paper tuning frame
    string jig and stetcher
    bench with excellent lighting and back mirror behind press

things not to waste money on and why
    ------------------------------------
    laser aligners. you still need to tune by shooting anyway as the dynamic forces are totally different, so eyeball initial setup is quite adequate.
    arrow squaring devices. if you use a decent saw and proper technique they will be square as cut.

THIS^^^

For the bow scale I like using a crane scale over the 'made for bows' scales. Crane scale is a lot sturdier.
    I do like my laser aligner. Not a necessary tool, but for me it lines things up so I know I have a great starting point when I shoot it to tune.
    I would also add a grain scale.
    A couple of nice dental picks are nice to have handy too.
    Bear Motive 6 / 28'' Draw / peep / D loop / QAD HDX / Trophy Ridge React Pro Sight / 376gr XT Hunter 5575 / 58 lb draw / 296fps
    Bear Agenda 7 /28'' draw / peep / D loop / Whisker Biscuit / Trophy Ridge React Pro Sight / 376 gr XT Hunter 5575 / 57 lb draw / 282fps

I have a little magnetic parts tray that I stick to my press, it keeps all the screws and parts from disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by tote View Post
    For the bow scale I like using a crane scale over the 'made for bows' scales. Crane scale is a lot sturdier.
    I do like my laser aligner. Not a necessary tool, but for me it lines things up so I know I have a great starting point when I shoot it to tune.
    I would also add a grain scale.
    A couple of nice dental picks are nice to have handy too.
    a ceiling mounted scale is definitely a nice thing to have. very controllable to pull the riser down with both hands. I have only used the spring varieties but the newer load cell electronic versions really look the business for very reasonable prices.

I do have a laser aligner, which I was given as a gift. it's nice to have, but if I was buying one I'd spend the cash on something else like a really good bow vice. it does have one fantastic use - rest swapout. clamp the bow in your vice. put the laser on the bow, and on the far wall, put a post-it with a sharpie mark where the laser hits. swap out your rest (or blade), then put the laser back on. tweak the rest lateral until the laser mark is bang on and you're as close to battery as you could want.

grain scale is a good pickup, they are great for matching arrow components when building. and picks are always useful, for instance for fishing loops from between cams and press fingers. I have an aversion to putting fingers where I lose one if something goes wrong.

Thank you all again for the replies. I appreciate the info, but my wallet don't haha. It will pay for itself in the long run I'm sure

I think the above posts pretty much cover it. If you are wanting to build your own stuff, I'm liking this:

But there are tons of options posted all over this DIY forum. Stick around and try some of the stuff others have built. In no time you'll be tinkering and breaking stuff with the best of us :-)
    NWSpinner,com
    Become a string maker but don't waste your time wrapping your servings by hand check out the NWSpinner!

Teach a kid archery, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles!

Forgot to mention......something comfortable to sit on.
    I have a low back bar stool that rotates.
    Makes going from the table to another station much easier.
    Bear Motive 6 / 28'' Draw / peep / D loop / QAD HDX / Trophy Ridge React Pro Sight / 376gr XT Hunter 5575 / 58 lb draw / 296fps
    Bear Agenda 7 /28'' draw / peep / D loop / Whisker Biscuit / Trophy Ridge React Pro Sight / 376 gr XT Hunter 5575 / 57 lb draw / 282fps

I know it's an old thread but I now have almost everything listed pretty much.

One thing I can't decide on is a draw weight scale. Any suggestions?

i would go directly to one of these unless you want a handheld. https://www.amazon.com/American-Weig...+weight+scales

Nope, that looks like exactly what I'd want! Thanks!

Last chance press...allen wrenches... levels and a vise