Thread: deer meat has strong smell

deer meat has strong smell

I took a mature doe the other night did not recover her until the next morning she was liver she shot did not go far but died in a swamp.when I recovered her she had a bad odor I figured it was from the swamp water she was in. I washed her off with the hose when I got home yesterday and started cutting her up this morning . the temp as been around 55 deg the water temp was alot cooler .The meat has a strong I guess deer smell or strong game smell. I just cooked some on the grill and the meat has the same taste. we eat venison all the time and rarely ever get any strong tasting venison. the deer in this area all eat agriculture crops. has anyone had this happen to them should i just cut it up for stew and forget about the cutlets and steaks.

First....this goes in the hunting section.

Now I would think that if you have already eatin some and you didn't get sick then all is well....and if you are gonna eat it in a stew....then it is good enough for steaks and cutlets. Putting the meat in a stew isn't gonna make it ok to eat if it is bad.
    HDI Staff Director....It's indoor season....is your bow treated with Phase Inhibitor?

Scott Archery CBE Feather Vision

[QUOTE=Brown Hornet]First....this goes in the hunting section.

sorry i was in wrong section i do not think the meat is bad i was just wondering about the strong smell and taste ill take it to the right section thank for the return ans

One way to use the meat if it has a strong gamey smell.

I shot a buck a few years ago that smelled very badly, had nothing to do with the hit or the length of time for recovery of the deer. I butchered the deer in big sections of muscle and re-skinned the muscle groups to get off all the fat and tallow. I took it to a local butcher shop and had the whole deer made into venision sticks. It cost a little more but they were great and I used the whole deer.
    Matthews Z7 65#
    QAD ultra rest
    Spot Hogg Real Deal
    Killzones
    Easton 3/49 A/C/C Shafts

Here is a way to take the game taste out of an old buck or deer period.

Fill your sink about 1/2 full with cold water and pour in some Baking Soda(Arm&Hammer or whatever). Just mix it around with your hand til dissolves in the water. Add the meat and let sit for a hour or 2. Wash meat and cook.

[QUOTE=bowhuntTuT]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Hornet
    First....this goes in the hunting section.

sorry i was in wrong section i do not think the meat is bad i was just wondering about the strong smell and taste ill take it to the right section thank for the return ans

No problem.

I thought you were also wondering if the meat was bad.
    HDI Staff Director....It's indoor season....is your bow treated with Phase Inhibitor?

Scott Archery CBE Feather Vision

Here's the trick,
    1 cup of Hydrogen peroxide
    1 cup of distilled water
    1 cup of baking soda
    2 ounces of unscented soap
    Mix all, let soak overnight and use it all over your body..........???
    Wait this is scenkiller recipe!!!

Sorry wrong recipe, can't help.

Jokes aside, some deer I hunt from up north smell pine, they do eat pine leaves or needles and do have a strong smell, does not smell like rotten meat though.

Gamey meat

My hunting partner liver shot a doe last year, and we found it the next morning.While we were gutting the deer, we noticed a strong smell, which in my opinion was an iron rich blood smell.

While the deer hung in his garage it still had the smell, he took it to the locker and had it processed, the meat tasted fine
    Think 'em in, and kill 'em at will.

we tried some of the cutlets tonight soaked them in milk and 1 egg for about 1 hour breaded them and fried them up some had a very strong taste while others did not.ill have to try soaking them in the baking soda.i hate to ruin the familys love of venison by serving it with a bad taste.

do anyone think that if a animal does not die right away the body releases somthing into the blood that would give it a strong smell and taste. just a thought

I had two liver shot deer taste bad and both were recovered the next day.

What I get out of this is never liver shoot a deer. That target spot keeps gettting smaller and smaller.