Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Killed black bear in self defense

If you don't care what some say why bring back a 6 year old thread?

Quote Originally Posted by GobblerDown View Post
    If you don't care what some say why bring back a 6 year old thread?
    No doubt. I just realized this was 6 year old. This would have been gone and long forgotten. But I still agree with the shooter. Who cares what weapon he used.

But instead of calling a warden he should have just dug a hole.

A squirrel is a squirrel, not a rat. You guys can devalue them all you want, but they are legal game and should be treated as such.

The OP in my humble, not being there opinion, killed the bear not because it was an immediate threat, but because he was scared it would be a threat in the future. That's breaking the law. Maybe worth it, but it is breaking the law.

I am sorry but if a bear is on my property I am killing it wether it is quarting away or not. It cant comeback if you kill it. , I have 2 small children

Quote Originally Posted by Boghdóir View Post
    A squirrel is a squirrel, not a rat. You guys can devalue them all you want, but they are legal game and should be treated as such.

The OP in my humble, not being there opinion, killed the bear not because it was an immediate threat, but because he was scared it would be a threat in the future. That's breaking the law. Maybe worth it, but it is breaking the law.
    see , i told ya so.
    PSE Bowmadness 3G skullworks Lefty 2012
    Elite Hunter 2013 - My new toy
    Bowtech Ross 2010 Carnivore 34 70 lb. My black lab Darla
    Vortex Optics - Bluff Country Bowstrings
    Tru-Fire releases

Damn right get r done

Well you must understand that some of the folks on here that still think you are guilty after the court did not convict you are the same ones that would have said "you must be guilty if the court had enough evidence to convict you" if the court had found you guilty. Instead of having the opinion that you are innocent since enough evidence was not found. So bottom line is to a few, you are guilty just by not doing what they say they would have or have not done.

Congrats! You did the right thing as far as I'm concerned...the only mistake you made was calling the authorities. Next time gut shoot the bear, let it die a few miles away and keep quiet about it.
    2012 Elite Answer, HHA sight, QAD rest, Tightspot quiver, Torqueless grip, Ridgerunner sling, Stokerized 8" Hunter stabilizer, custom threads by Insight Archery, ACC Pro Hunters, Scott Sabertooth release, Slick Trick Magnum broadheads.

After some lunch and a bit of thought, I guess my point of the question was this: If you are going to kill something and claim self-defense, it's probably best to use a gun. I wasn't trying to say you did the wrong thing or guilty/not guilty. Just questioned the method. A bow is for hunting or target shooting. Most people agree with that. Guns are for hunting, target, and protection. Maybe its just my opinion on the matter, but it would look better in the eyes of those who prosecute. Especially with something like a bear.
    And yes, I completely understand protecting one's family. I have a 12ga sitting in the corner near the bed and another near the back door. Buckshot shells are within arms reach of both. The bow is kept out in the garage for practice or hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    After some lunch and a bit of thought, I guess my point of the question was this: If you are going to kill something and claim self-defense, it's probably best to use a gun. I wasn't trying to say you did the wrong thing or guilty/not guilty. Just questioned the method. A bow is for hunting or target shooting. Most people agree with that. Guns are for hunting, target, and protection. Maybe its just my opinion on the matter, but it would look better in the eyes of those who prosecute. Especially with something like a bear.
    And yes, I completely understand protecting one's family. I have a 12ga sitting in the corner near the bed and another near the back door. Buckshot shells are within arms reach of both. The bow is kept out in the garage for practice or hunting.
    z
    I didn't claim anything .... I just said this is what happend

Quote Originally Posted by RCaiati View Post
    z
    I didn't claim anything .... I just said this is what happend
    “It was a motive of self-defense,” he said. “Just because the bear was not busting through my back door, they didn’t feel it was justified.”

Sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by RCaiati View Post
    We all can look back at this and make comments.... FACT IS.... I wanted it DEAD and thought about the PRO and CON's many times before this happened, I knew I was going to get charged BUT I DIDNT CARE... MY FAMILY IS MORE IMPORTANT AND I WOULD DO IT AGAIN IF PUT IN THE SAME SITUATION... ONLY THIS TIME I WOULD CALL NO ONE........
    i have noticed in more than one situation the wardens seem to invent senarios to be able to start writing tickets rather than truly seeking the truth of the incident...i'm glad you got off!
    if any of you warden lovers trust those people to see your side of the story your a fool! the way they foward their career is by writing tickets, and it seems some will lie or overlook the obvious to empty booklets!

Crockett spoken like someone who hasn't a clue. bar room jibberish. c'mon man!
    Prairie Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Crockett spoken like someone who hasn't a clue. bar room jibberish. c'mon man!
    call em as i see em pal! oh sorry.....i should of known your one!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite fanboy View Post
    Congrats! You did the right thing as far as I'm concerned...the only mistake you made was calling the authorities. Next time gut shoot the bear, let it die a few miles away and keep quiet about it.
    I Will tell you one thing to simply Gut shoot an animal on Purpose to let it suffer is Pathetic,I Have no problem with the killing of the bear but do it humanely and put him down instantly.If i needed to shoot a bear,I Would and i WOULDNT call anybody but i would do it humanely...Letting an Animal suffer on Purpose...Sad
    X-Force Militia
    "Anything but Tricks"
    "I always thought of this as God's country."

-Jack Granatstein

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyMan1980 View Post
    I Will tell you one thing to simply Gut shoot an animal on Purpose to let it suffer is Pathetic,I Have no problem with the killing of the bear but do it humanely and put him down instantly.If i needed to shoot a bear,I Would and i WOULDNT call anybody but i would do it humanely...Letting an Animal suffer on Purpose...Sad
    Grizz , so true man . Plus a wounded bear with a tummy ache could be far more dangerous than just a hungry one.
    PSE Bowmadness 3G skullworks Lefty 2012
    Elite Hunter 2013 - My new toy
    Bowtech Ross 2010 Carnivore 34 70 lb. My black lab Darla
    Vortex Optics - Bluff Country Bowstrings
    Tru-Fire releases

Glad to hear they found you not guilty. There are people all over the net who just have to say something smart not knowing all the facts. As hard as it is to believe, the news and papers sometimes slant things to look the way they want them to, folks. Plenty of people on here that understand and support what you did. Just try and ignore the stupid comments and look at the positive ones. If you are as into archery as you say you might want to consider hanging out here for a while. Lots of good info and great people in general and the keyboard cowboys at least keep things interesting during the nonhunting seasons, lol.
    ~ GOD, Family, Country ~
    Hoyt CRX32

Quote Originally Posted by wv4x4 View Post
    Why would he call the game comission if he thoguht what he did was illegal?
    Because there are people that dang stupid. My brother inlaw which I don't care for ran a deer over in the driveway and it had to be put down and he called them thinking he was going to get to keep it. Same as that idiot that robbed a bank and left his real ID on the counter.
    2013 Insanity Black Opps 60lb draw
    PSE Xweave Pro 200s with 100gr T3s

As far as shooting the squirrels over bait, the PA Game Commission actually has a law that states and I quote " You may not hunt on or over any food source, Natural or Artificial". Now, can anyone on here name me one single spot in the entire state of PA where they hunt that could not be considered a "natural food source"????? If you follow that law to a T, then every single field or woodlot in PA is illegal to hunt. It just goes to show you how stupid and vague some of these laws really are. They (the game commission) make sure that if they want to get you, they can get you. Period.
    Darton Pro3800 (Blacked Out!!!)
    Easton XX75 2315's
    Muzzy X-celerator (most underrated rest in the world)
    HHA Sights Little Jon Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Magnus Buzzcuts 100 grain 4 blade

All this talk about using a 12 gauge with slugs or a high powered rifle has me thinking about my neighborhood. The houses are pretty close together, a bullet would be dangerous I think. A bow might have been the best option really.
    Agenda 6
    QAD HDX
    Bee-Stinger
    Black Eagle Carnivore

Quote Originally Posted by Elite fanboy View Post
    Not only sad as grizz pointed out,but rather disgusting of an act in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by crockett View Post
    call em as i see em pal! oh sorry.....i should of known your one!
    crock- I already stated that I'm not taking a position on the killing because I don't have all of the facts.
    Your quote of my second post infers I sided with someone because "your one".
    I'm not a WCO or warden. Your illogical and immature response shows how you categorize all LEO's as bad, over zealous etc.. It speaks volume's about your character.
    Prairie Phoenix.

Sounds like a problem bear that needed to be dealt with but I would not call it self defence. A nuisance and destruction of property is what I see as the problem.

I have had to educate a few problem bears blunts and bear bangers are usually all it takes to smarten them up. Along with removing the food source attracting them.

I would not have taken the approach you chose but I am not going to look down at the choice to kill the bear either as sometimes that is the what needs to happen.

Very strange story and sad ending to the bears life.
    T ZZZZ

RER and Big River Longbows
    Hoyt Cybertec and Maxxis
    FMJ and VPA

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    crock- I already stated that I'm not taking a position on the killing because I don't have all of the facts.
    Your quote of my second post infers I sided with someone because "your one".
    I'm not a WCO or warden. Your illogical and immature response shows how you categorize all LEO's as bad, over zealous etc.. It speaks volume's about your character.
    your right they need more ratings for their tv shows......lets put some micro chips in antlers and then we can go turn someones house upside down because they picked up some bone lying around waiting to be chewed or pissed on by yotes!
    went to a golf tornament this week and watch 5 **** faced cops(there were more there, just didn't visually see them leave) get in their cars and drive off like it was nothing...gonna write tickets for the same offence to somebody this week i'm sure!!! don't give a dam what you think my character is, your opinion about it means nothing to me! i call em as i see em! hypocrits!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast