Thread: Traditional Archery Magazine

Question Traditional Archery Magazine

What's a good periodical to subscribe to for general and technical information related to traditional archery? Looking for one that may also have product reviews. Thanx!

Traditional Bowhunter Magazine
    Vermont State Let's Go Fishing Instructor
    Vermont Bowhunting Safety Instructor
    "Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it." TR
    TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

2nd Trad Bowhunter

I'm a wheely bow shooter, play around with trad, but pretty much the only bowhunting mag I like is Trad Bowhunter. It is an enjoyable mag that is about bowhunting.
    Primitive Archer is also a fun & interesting read.

traditional bowhunter magazine

I used to buy TBM every month here in australia until about 2-3 years ago.I was
    so envious of the game you could take in your country,or any part of the world with a recurve or longbow.The price of the magazine went from $6.00 to $14.50
    AUS dollars when the rrp in usa was $3.99.Then it stopped coming in to the country altogether.I know I could subscribe but it might be 2-3 months old by the time I got it.I really miss reading it. Cutthroat.

Why do Australians have to import everything? Don't you folks make stuff over there? I bet I could make a fortune if I had a good factory Down Under that made bows or printed bowhunting magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel
    Why do Australians have to import everything? Don't you folks make stuff over there? I bet I could make a fortune if I had a good factory Down Under that made bows or printed bowhunting magazines.
    17 million people.
    An there are plenty of very good bowyers as well as at lest three good archery mags I know of.
    The guy was only talking about TBM.
    Does that answer your question.

I don't think that the original poster on this thread ever mentioned TBM, he wanted any good magazine. So if you know of one that is already in Australia, please let us know the name of it. And as far as I know, there is only a small handful of bowyers in Australia who can deliver the kind of quality that most of us expect. If you know of any besides this one, please let me know:

http://www.ausbow.com.au/longbows.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Abel
    I don't think that the original poster on this thread ever mentioned TBM, he wanted any good magazine. So if you know of one that is already in Australia, please let us know the name of it. And as far as I know, there is only a small handful of bowyers in Australia who can deliver the kind of quality that most of us expect. If you know of any besides this one, please let me know:

http://www.ausbow.com.au/longbows.htm
    There's "Huntsman, Arcarana,Southerncross,an a couple of others I can't remember just off hand.
    How many do you reckon would be needed for the amount of stick bow shooters from a population that big/small.

Out of all the bows being made there, that we could find, only the Huntsman line looks like it appeals to me....and that fella isn't taking orders anymore. Looks like he is pretty backed up. I would say that there is room for a few more high end custom bowyers in Australia. There is also room for someone who could make higher quantity production bows like Martin or Bear. Right now, Samick seems to have that market covered in the South Pacific. If someone had the means/initiative to replicate Martin's production methods there in Australia, I think they could make a good living...especially if they could compete with Samick in other nations besides Australia.

Yes your right in that Samick has the market sewn up in some respects.
    I actualy have a Samick longbow an know a couple of guys that have Samick recurves.I was in a shop in Sydney a few years ago an they had a PSE Talon and the Samick copy.I was supprised to find the Samick was the smoother drawing of the two,an for a little more than half the price.
    I also found the same thing with one of their Blackwidow copys,again at half the price.
    If you do a google search on the Oz bow web site then follow their links it will give you most of the Aussie bowyers.
    An yeah,Huntsman isn't taking orders right now,very in demand.
    As far as making a living out of it in Australia,,I'm still not convinced you could,the population just isn't there an the laws are off this planet against hunters, or anything that could be considered a weapon.
    There's even been resent proposals by different state govenments to have compounds banned alltogeather,like they have with crossbows.
    Reseach on Oz Bow will show you what I mean.
    Last edited by Jack NZ; November 10th, 2006 at 07:30 PM.