Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Deer Scream????

Do Deer Scream????

to make a long story short. the wife of one of the hunters in deer camp comes back telling me it sounds like there was a woman screaming her lungs out in the woods next to my house but she could not see anything. My father in law proceeds to tell her that it was a deer warning other deer of danger. I think it was a squirrel or rabbit screaming after being caught by something. the father in law says he used to here them do it when he used to hunt (many years and many beers ago). I was just wondering if anyone else has heard a deer scream like a woman. I have only been hunting for about 24 years and never heard a deer scream, but i have never heard an actual snort whease either. any comments?

I have heard that Mountain Lions will sometimes sound like someone screaming.
    MR7 30" 60lbs
    Gold Tip Velocity 300's
    Limbdriver
    Spot Hog Hunter Wrapped
    Stokerized 10" Hunter Stabilizer

Yes, back when I first started hunting I was useing a 44 mag rifle the first deer I ever shot at came out of a ceder thicket and I was following her with the scope on her and shot I'am her to tell you she let out a bawl you would not beleive. What had happened was the bullet had hit a sapling dead center and pepered her with hot lead. I still remember that scream to this day.

Never heard a deer scream but I had the one I shot last year growl at me... scared the krapola outta me..

I would guess that she just herd a doe that was snorting.

No, deer do not scream.

The doe I spined this year did

Bobcats make a sound that is reminiscent of a woman screaming to some people.
    Team 28 - Quiver Sniffers

A few years back, I shot a doe with an old black powder rifle and hit her in the spine way to far back. She let out several screams that will always stay with me. I reloaded as fast as I could to finish her off.

Most likely it was a fox or a bobcat,

second the bobcat

I had a doe....

one time in the peak of the rut Come by my stand bawling like crazy. never heard it before. I didn't shoot her because she was squating and looking behind her. New a buck was coming, turned out to be a spike ad she just wouldnt stand for him she kept walking away from him and bawling.
    Then later that moring a 130 ten point comes in about 45 yards away. I give two quick grunts . thinking he was going to walk into me. Well what i didn't see because he was my whole focus was that this doe from earlier was now standing just to the right of my stand not five yards from me. Well that buck hearing my grunts and sees the doe comes crashing off in my direction and runs right at the doe she then high tails it out of the stand setup and he rips in front of the stand by five yards but he was runnign so fast i couldn't in good conscious let the shot go. In all the years of hunting i have not practiced running shots nor have i ever shot a running deer with a bow.I'm not saying it can't be done its just i'm not comfortable with that shot for my abilities with a running deer with a bow in my hand. Saw Barry wensel make a shot on a running deer with traditional equipment that was incredible on a video , but that is not me.

Anyway they run about 80 yards she stops I think realizing what buck deer was chasing her and lets her self get bred right there.
    I think the does seem to know who is in he area and whar buck they would be perfer to breed with. And i do beleieve now that i experienced this that does when they are really ready to breed and are not geting any attention may bawl out loudly to call that good buck in the area to breed her. It was really cool ad i learned something from it.

So i have used that long doe bawl/bleat/scream in the peak of the rut and i wish i can tellyou it has worked for me but not yet. But from that experience i know it can work because they do it in the wild for real.

And so my point is maybe what you heard was a doe in the peak of her estrous calling out to the bucks in the area to breed her.
    I ve also heard a skipper deer scream out too.

Well good huntin'

Joe lorenti

never heard them scream out but i have heard bucks roar during rut and heard it again this year in the woodas at my bro in laws place
    rob k
    heard fawns scream out and they have a tube that makes the distress call that fawns make when they are being hurt and or distress scream
    rob k

If a deer screams in the woods and knowone is there to here it, did it still make a sound?
    Hoyt Carbon Matrix ld
    Hoyt UltraElite & Pro Elite

When they look up in the tree and see my XT drawn back, they often let out a loud scream I've heard a few utter ohhh S*&^ too
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

I would guess that it was a bobcat...

I have had a bobcat near me before day light two different occasions that gave the eariest scream you could imagine....it sounded like a woman screaming for her life.

J

Seriously, the loudest scream I have heard in the woods has always come from rabbits and they sound an aweful lot like people. They are usually being torn apart by something at the time...
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

DO not know if it is true or not but a guy told me that he shot a doe one time.It was a bad hit the deer was screaming like a woman.The land owner was with him.It had such an effect on the land owner,that he quit letting people hunt on his land.
    Bowtech Mighty Mite
    Bowtech Guardian
    100 grn Slick Trick
    Trufire Crackshot Release.
    Truglo Brite Site

Quote Originally Posted by mn5503
    When they look up in the tree and see my XT drawn back, they often let out a loud scream I've heard a few utter ohhh S*&^ too
    thats funny right there

That woman heard a "Screach Owl". I have read that 90% of the time that someone claims they heard a woman screaming in the woods it was a Screach Owl. They sound exactly like a woman screaming at the top of their lungs.

The other 10% of the time it is a rabbit beaing eaten by a fox or yote. But even that sound has an "animal" sound to it. Screach Owls sound just like human screams.

I heard a buck scream one time............there was a doe on the other side of the field, and he screamed "Hey Baby you Lookin Fine This Morning". Other than that, never heard any other screams from a deer.

Oh, they scream all right. I got a call from a Vet one time, said he had a hurt deer in one of his clients back yards. He asked me to come rope it so he could take it in and get it fixed up. When I came over, it was running around with a gimp rear leg, so it couldn't jump the fence. When it ran by me, I got her right around the neck. I was used to pulling on calves that are a few hundred pounds, not a 70 lb deer, and she came flying backwards, and let out a scream like you wouldn't believe. It was more like a high pitch bleat, but oh yes, they scream.
    Scoutguard Dealer

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Fox AC
    scottstarnes.com>>>----->spyderwebtargets.com>>>------->www.epekhunting.com>>---->Elusion camo >>>---->PSEarchery.com
    Have fun with archery and archery will be fun for you.
    I've learned that there is a fine line between genius and insanity.
    I am related to a Genius and a Moron.

I've heard the same thing. It was a screech owl. It sounded so much like a woman screaming that I wanted to call the cops just to be on the safe side.

I shot a mature doe 3 yrs ago that let out a blood curdling scream when I dbl lunged her, damndest thing I've ever heard. Shot plenty deer before and after that and she is the only deer I've heard do it. Kinda weird!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast