Thread: BowTech let-off adjustment

BowTech let-off adjustment

Question for BowTech owners/gurus: I was reading in the manual about changing the let-off by adjusting the draw stop post. With the bow at rest, would moving the post up increase or decrease the let-off? I have a lefty bow and the post is on the bottom cam. I don't know if it's the same on righties.

I tried it up and down (not more than the 1/2 hash mark per the manual) and I really couldn't tell the difference. I don't have a scale yet.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Moving towards the "L" will increase let off. The valley will also get wider as you move toward the "L".

Where's the "L"? I don't see it.

Here's a pic of my bottom cam...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Referencing your pic, moving it left would increase DL. At least thats the way it looks to me.

You really do need a scale to make sure that you don't exceed 80% letoff.
    2013 Hoyt Spyder Turbo 55-65lbs.
    HOYT QAD HDX Ultrarest
    Spot Hogg Hunter Custom 5 pin
    Park-N-Son's Archery Custom Bowstrings
    Easton ACC Pro Hunting Series 340 w/ QAD Exodus 100 grain

Move toward the small "pat" on the cam. This is away from where the string comes off the cam.

O.k. please forgive my total rookieness, but increasing the draw length (left) increases or decreases let-off?

should increase...it allows the cam to roll over more in the valley....thus more letoff
    Don't Just Feel Good...FEEL GOD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Klondike
    O.k. please forgive my total rookieness, but increasing the draw length (left) increases or decreases let-off?
    Increases let-off i.e. less holding weight, but more energy "stored".

FWIW, I'm right handed and the draw stop is on the top cam.
    Last edited by Jim McPhail; November 23rd, 2006 at 12:46 PM.

It will increase letoff. That's why I suggested a scale so you can make sure that you don't go past 80%. The BT recommendation of not more than 1/2 slash mark should protect you from going past 80%, however if you needed to tweak it slightly more than that, I would use a scale.
    HOYT QAD HDX Ultrarest

Thanks for all the help everybody. It's good to know that I have AT for help since BowTech won't return my e-mails.

I am definitely getting a bow scale. I have one of the digital Easton scales in my Cabelas wish list that hopefully my wife will get me for my birthday (Monday) or for Christmas. It measures draw and holding weight. I just don't trust the mechanical scale we have at the range.

I have no idea what the draw weight is on my TomKat. I have the limb bolts turned down all the way but it feels like more than 70lbs. I can pull a Tribute with a lot more ease at 70 lbs.

Yeah and everything is upside down on a lefty bow. You have to put the "bottom" module on the top and the "top" module on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Klondike
    It would increase let-off. But be carefull that you do not increase the let-off too much, you might lock up the bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfectionist
    It would increase let-off. But be carefull that you do not increase the let-off too much, you might lock up the bow.
    The stops on the modules should prevent that, just don't SLAM the sting into the valley when you draw it. Any time you are making draw stop adjustments, draw the bow back gently, and slowly settle into full draw. You will know if you set the draw post too far, if the modules are hitting the cables before that post hits the top limb.

Quote Originally Posted by scottland
    The stops on the modules should prevent that, just don't SLAM the sting into the valley when you draw it. Any time you are making draw stop adjustments, draw the bow back gently, and slowly settle into full draw. You will know if you set the draw post too far, if the modules are hitting the cables before that post hits the top limb.
    On the 2006 cams, yes. However the '05 cams don't have them. In any case, Klondike, be careful. Those cams are fantastic, you wouldn't want to mess them up.

The 2006 one won't lockup. Look at the modules, there is a longer path then on the older ones, at full draw,the sting stops into this place, you shoud notice it. Overdrawing could be done, when you are verry rude to want to pull past this point. (and drawing the string behind your ear)

I recently bought a Allegiance, reading how to setup the post for certain drawlength. At 28 Inch, the manual says it need to be set at 3,8.
    I shoud measure it from the side of the cam where the marks are at. Beginning from the left (righthanded) (the short side where the post stands)

When trying to understand 3,8... i just moved the post to a spot I thought it would be nice. pulled the bow, readjusted the post. After trying a few times, I give it a shot. (the bow was delivered at 29,5 inch)

Later in a store I measured the poundage and the let-off.
    Drawing 57#, the remaining weight was about 16# (so the let-off was about 72%). Then I changed it by using the scale. It's now at 65%, giving me enough wall to pull into, and not too less making me holding the bow and not beeing able to aim properly. (this seems to me the best way to set it up)

This weekend I managed to shoot 291 out of 300, counting the inner 10. The remaining 9 arrows went into the 10. (tough target 18 meters)
    (three of the 10's were verry close to the X, leaving the score to be judged, in my dissadvantage)

Quote Originally Posted by NCAVI8TOR
    Referencing your pic, moving it left would increase DL. At least thats the way it looks to me.

You really do need a scale to make sure that you don't exceed 80% letoff.

The movement of the peg should not (or nearly) not influence the DL.
    At the place the peg has to be (with the right module) you only change the let-off.

When you draw the bow, the peg will hit the limb. Setting the peg to hit the limb earlier, will give less let-off. This also makes the valley smaller, more uncomfortable.

Going too far you are probably not able to hold the bow, because you will have a remaining power of more then 30 pound and the bow pulls like crazy.

Going too far the other way, the peg won't be hit before the string gets to the last part of the modules, before you could overdraw it.

I noticed the arrows are hitting the target higher/lower when changing the peg. This would give me the idea there is more power into the bow, when you have less let-off. But this could also be the reaction on your bowhand, the pressure point.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDutchmen
    At the place the peg has to be (with the right module) you only change the let-off.

I respectfully disagree. Moving the peg only a small amount changes draw length AND let-off at the same time.

Checkout this website for more info on how bowtechs and diamonds work
    http://www.trushot.com/Consumers/camhelp.htm

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDutchmen

When you draw the bow, the peg will hit the limb. Setting the peg to hit the limb earlier, will give less let-off. This also makes the valley smaller, more uncomfortable.

Going too far you are probably not able to hold the bow, because you will have a remaining power of more then 30 pound and the bow pulls like crazy.

Going too far the other way, the peg won't be hit before the string gets to the last part of the modules, before you could overdraw it.

I noticed the arrows are hitting the target higher/lower when changing the peg. This would give me the idea there is more power into the bow, when you have less let-off. But this could also be the reaction on your bowhand, the pressure point.
    Changing the draw post position does indeed change DL. The cam will be either short stopped or over-rotated to the point where the draw stop peg contacts the cable (06 model). Th 05 models do not have the draw stop peg and therefore will over-rotate into a 100% letoff position if the draw post is adjusted too far towards the L (longer) position. The "S" and "L" on the 05 draw post adjustment scale stands for "shorter" and "longer", repectively, indicating a definite adjustment to both letoff AND draw length. Based on the chart that elkreaper posted, you have a 1" range of DL adjustment, 65-80% letoff adjustment, and the ability to customize the valley for your particular taste. Of couse if you want 80% letoff at your specific DL, you would have to start with the right DL module and recommeneded draw post setting.

NC
    Last edited by NCAVI8TOR; November 24th, 2006 at 02:00 PM.
    HOYT QAD HDX Ultrarest

Changing the draw post position does indeed change DL. The cam will be either short stopped or over-rotated to the point where the draw stop peg contacts the cable (06 model). Th 05 models do not have the draw stop peg and therefore will over-rotate into a 100% letoff position if the draw post is adjusted too far towards the L (longer) position. The "S" and "L" on the 05 draw post adjustment scale stands for "shorter" and "longer", repectively, indicating a definite adjustment to both letoff AND draw length.

NC
    05 do have a drawstop and if removed can over rotate and lockup. The draw stop on these bows are cam specific to help minimize this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by elkreaper
    05 do have a drawstop and if removed can over rotate and lockup. The draw stop on these bows are cam specific to help minimize this problem.
    Are you referring to the draw post as a draw stop on the 05s? It does act as a movable post AND draw stop in this case. Indeed if it is removed or adjusted too far, the bow will overrotate. I was not aware of an additional draw stop on the 05s like is on the 06s. But maybe I have missed something. I am talking about 2 different pieces of hardware, a draw post (adjustable), and a draw stop (not adjustable - 06s only - should not be touching cable at full draw).

Thanks,
    NC
    Last edited by NCAVI8TOR; November 24th, 2006 at 02:20 PM.
    HOYT QAD HDX Ultrarest

Are you referring to the draw post as a draw stop on the 05s? It does act as a movable post AND draw stop in this case. Indeed if it is removed or adjusted too far, the bow will overrotate. I was not aware of an additional draw stop on the 05s like is on the 06s. But maybe I have missed something. I am talking about 2 different pieces of hardware, a draw post (adjustable), and a draw stop (not adjustable - 06s only).

Thanks,
    NC
    No not on the cams but stop on the 06 mods are not listed as a drawstop but as an antilock. Just miss under stood what you were saying