Thread: long ata bows and accuracy

long ata bows and accuracy

can someone explain to me how the longer the ata on a bow causes it to shoot extemely well? what makes that bow so much of a tack driver? why do so many target shoters prefer them? i guess that i am just not seeing the benifits of the longer ata bows. so please explain that to me, no matter how old the info is.

For one it helps with a good sting angle that helps with a consistent anchor point

Two

It gives rotational stability making it easier to stay consistent it also helps by not allowing you to cant the bow from side to side and have different side to side cants ( if you are canting ) from shot to shot

I tell people to look at tight rope walkers with the long rods they use to balance. It helps the tight rope walker stay upright and solid because of the balance of rotational forces as compared to if they were using a rod ½ that long

Quote Originally Posted by hedoe
    can someone explain to me how the longer the ata on a bow causes it to shoot extemely well? what makes that bow so much of a tack driver? why do so many target shoters prefer them? i guess that i am just not seeing the benifits of the longer ata bows. so please explain that to me, no matter how old the info is.
    Just from my limited experience.There are other factors involved.BH,grip,deflex riser,and the over all comfort of a particular bow.To me this equates into forgivness of the bow.In other words if my shot routine is not perfect everytime(and it often isn't) can I still pull off at least a 10.
    All I know is some bows work for me better than others,and the ones that work best generally are longer, and have a generous BH.

From what I know, almost any bow in the hands of an expert would shoot great. But for repeatability, time after time, shot after shot a more forgiving bow compensates for less than perfect form and execution every time.

I think for every shooter, there would probably be an optimum ATA... you could get a bow too long or that was too heavy for a particular shooter. Brace height for target shooting is always good. But all in all a properly setup bow that is comfortable and that will stay in tune will allow you to begin to perfect your form and become better at target shooting.

thenson
    Vortex Field Staff / Victory Archery National Shooting Staff / Paradigm Field Staff
    / Bowjax Shooting Staff / BullDog Targets - Lifetime Warranty / Schrade Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by heavy dart
    Just from my limited experience.There are other factors involved.BH,grip,deflex riser,and the over all comfort of a particular bow.To me this equates into forgivness of the bow.
    I too aagree with the above, but tend to think as the grip being a fulcrum and the limbs being two levers... the farther apart the levers, the less impact I can impart upon them... Thus more forgiving the bow all else being equal... But the problem is not all else is equal when looking at different bows... riser design( reflex/deflex), grip design, brace height, length and cam effect accuracy...

guys who walk a tight rope don't use a toothpick, they use the longest poles they can find for a reason...

The SINGLE most important factor of ATA is the string angle fit to the shooter's face, specifically the fit to the nose and side of chin.

The number of shooters with bows too short and either string not touching nose or release hand too far back is astounding.
    Jim Quarles

Illegitimus non Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by FS560
    The SINGLE most important factor of ATA is the string angle fit to the shooter's face, specifically the fit to the nose and side of chin.

The number of shooters with bows too short and either string not touching nose or release hand too far back is astounding.
    I agree with you wholeheartly. I get baffled when I read about so many folks on AT who think the parallel limb bows with 33" and shorter ATA are the answer to all their problems. After looking at the peep angle on the string, I don't think my old eyes could even begin to focus on the target without an anchor that's way too long. IMO, part of the problem is the fact that the single cam maufacturers started this crazy fad because they can't get the speed otherwise.