Thread: Black Hawk Bows??

Black Hawk Bows??

Anyone ever heard of blackhawk recurve bows? I know a guy selling one and thought I would check here since I can't find much about this brand on google.

The only thing I can see is there was a company near Pittsburgh making these bows.

Any information would be appreciated.

Deadeye33

Stick and String

Blackhawk Archery was run out of a small place in McKeesport, Pa., by the Cravotta Brothers. They made wonderful longbows, and some nice recurves. The longbows were not as forgiving if you made release mistakes....but if you had very consistent form and knew how to handle their longbows they weer a thing of magic.
    HE is first, she is second. I am third.
    Got God? John 3:16

I have a 43# Short Hornet. Has a nice finish and smooth draw, but kinda shocky on release.
    Steve

Not really relevant but:

Just a side note - 20 years ago I was acquainted with a guy that said that he worked for Blackhawk ..... He had some "scrp risers" that he made into lamps and such.... no way to prove it he di\did not, but hey...... He hadseveral of their bows, and other "pieces and parts".

FWIW - I'm sitting with in 10 miles of Mckeesport right now!

P.S. - I NEED SPELL CHECK!
    Last edited by hockeyref; December 11th, 2006 at 04:52 PM.
    Steve in South West PA

Deadeye...give me the specs on the bow. I'll give you the date of manufacture

Retro, I'll take ya up on the offer. Mine is a 43# Short Hornet, 57 1/2" long. Green finish on the limbs, if that matters. I haven't been able to find much of anything on this company.
    Thanks
    Steve

Steve...give me the serial numbers.

I'll get it tonight.

cravotta bros.

i got one i am trying to find out about it is a
    Black Hawk
    yellow jacket
    Y638
    40# @ 28"

tryig to find out if its a recurve or a long bow and any other info about this bow would be apracitated

Not trying to hijack this Thread but...would this Blackhawk Scorpion of mine be considered a recurve or longbow? I bought it last year on eBay as a recurve. I would post a pic of it stung but the string I have is too short.

i just bought a blackhawk cheif recurve, its 41# at 28in

scorpion

have you heard what it's considered?

I believe recurve....but appears to be semi-curved...

how does it shoot?

what did you pay for it? looks nice...

Quote Originally Posted by holycow1972 View Post
    have you heard what it's considered?

I believe recurve....but appears to be semi-curved...

how does it shoot?

what did you pay for it? looks nice...
    I haven't heard anything about what it would be considered. I paid forty dollars. There was a time when I thought it shot ok but not anymore but that might be because I have never had a decent string for it. Also, the shelf has a down angle to it so it is hard to keep an arrow on it. When I did shoot it, I usually used a Bear Weatherest. I'll make you a deal on it if you are left handed. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    Not trying to hijack this Thread but...would this Blackhawk Scorpion of mine be considered a recurve or longbow? I bought it last year on eBay as a recurve. I would post a pic of it stung but the string I have is too short.

AKM, I believe that on recurves, the string touches the limb at the tips, on longbows, not so much. Looks like a longbow to me but of course, I could be totally wrong!

Blackhawk Wasp

Hi, I was wondering if it were possible to find parts for a Wasp by Black Hawk 30# bow. Specifically, it's missing a plastic horn nock from the top. Is this a piece that's specific to the company or are these a universal part? I can't seem to locate them online and the local archery store is closed for the weekend. Thanks

I've recently inherited a black hawk recurve bow has A273 hand written on it along with its length 56" and draw weight of 45#@27". Would like to know a little more about the bow. I never saw my father shot it, but I know he had arrows at one point, and his brother tells me he was pretty good with it too. My son took an interest in it and has got it restrung, need help on arrows, nock types ect. Any info would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by retro-grouch View Post
    Deadeye...give me the specs on the bow. I'll give you the date of manufacture
    I recently inherited a black hawk avenger bow when my father passed away, I never saw him shoot it but do remember him having some arrows at one point. A273 is written on it with 52" and 45# @ 27" any info on bow and types of arrows and nocks to use would be appreciated. My son did get it restrung and has taken an interest in the bow