Archery Talk Forum banner

Black Hawk Bows??

36K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  dannywilczewski 
#1 ·
Anyone ever heard of blackhawk recurve bows? I know a guy selling one and thought I would check here since I can't find much about this brand on google.

The only thing I can see is there was a company near Pittsburgh making these bows.

Any information would be appreciated.

Deadeye33

#2 ·
Blackhawk Archery was run out of a small place in McKeesport, Pa., by the Cravotta Brothers. They made wonderful longbows, and some nice recurves. The longbows were not as forgiving if you made release mistakes....but if you had very consistent form and knew how to handle their longbows they weer a thing of magic.

#4 · (Edited)
Not really relevant but:

Just a side note - 20 years ago I was acquainted with a guy that said that he worked for Blackhawk ..... He had some "scrp risers" that he made into lamps and such.... no way to prove it he di\did not, but hey...... He hadseveral of their bows, and other "pieces and parts".

FWIW - I'm sitting with in 10 miles of Mckeesport right now!

P.S. - I NEED SPELL CHECK!

#17 ·
I recently inherited a black hawk avenger bow when my father passed away, I never saw him shoot it but do remember him having some arrows at one point. A273 is written on it with 52" and 45# @ 27" any info on bow and types of arrows and nocks to use would be appreciated. My son did get it restrung and has taken an interest in the bow

#13 ·
have you heard what it's considered?

I believe recurve....but appears to be semi-curved...

how does it shoot?

what did you pay for it? looks nice...
I haven't heard anything about what it would be considered. I paid forty dollars. There was a time when I thought it shot ok but not anymore but that might be because I have never had a decent string for it. Also, the shelf has a down angle to it so it is hard to keep an arrow on it. When I did shoot it, I usually used a Bear Weatherest. I'll make you a deal on it if you are left handed. LOL

#15 ·
Blackhawk Wasp

Hi, I was wondering if it were possible to find parts for a Wasp by Black Hawk 30# bow. Specifically, it's missing a plastic horn nock from the top. Is this a piece that's specific to the company or are these a universal part? I can't seem to locate them online and the local archery store is closed for the weekend. Thanks

#16 ·
I've recently inherited a black hawk recurve bow has A273 hand written on it along with its length 56" and draw weight of 45#@27". Would like to know a little more about the bow. I never saw my father shot it, but I know he had arrows at one point, and his brother tells me he was pretty good with it too. My son took an interest in it and has got it restrung, need help on arrows, nock types ect. Any info would be appreciated.

#19 ·
My Father-In-Law left us a Blackhawk Chief.
Serial#32064
C-1060
36# @ 28"
69"

I would like any information on this bow that I can get.
I also wonder about the 69" marking when I have measure the bow and found it to be 65" from tip to tip.
I'm not an expert and would like to know where I can get a new string (it didn't have one) or what specs a custom string should have.

#20 ·
I bought a Black Hawk Scorpion bow over fifty years ago and have had it ever since, Today (Sept 11, 2021) I was using it with my son and grandsons in the yard. I bought a Genesis compound bow for the twin grandsons to use, but my old Black Hawk, to me, is easier to shoot and just as accurate. The stamping on the (dark red) bow say 32# which I would say is spot on. The bow was not particularly expensive when I bought it--after all, I was in my late teens and didn't have much money. But I add that it is still a beautiful bow. I hope my grandsons will be able to use it moving forward.

#21 ·
Blackhawk Archery was run out of a small place in McKeesport, Pa., by the Cravotta Brothers. They made wonderful longbows, and some nice recurves. The longbows were not as forgiving if you made release mistakes....but if you had very consistent form and knew how to handle their longbows they weer a thing of magic.
I have a black Hawk wasp bow don’t know much about it! It says 770 35#@28” don’t really know much about it an old man gave it to me and it’s like new!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.