Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Droppings (Turds)

Deer Droppings (Turds)

An old friend told me recently that you can tell Buck droppings from Doe droppings. He says if the droppings are 'clumpped up' or 'mashed together, they are most likely from a Buck. Loose droppings would of course be a Doe.

I have been around a bit and am not easily fooled. I have also never heard this one before, even after 40 years of hunting... So I have my doubts.

Anyone else heard this or know if it is fact or fiction?

I have always heard that the difference in the consistency of the droppings is due to their type of diet at the time.

Well I found a massive clumped together pile next to a fresh buck rub the other day so it may be true. Not sure if I believe it either though : \

Quote Originally Posted by shawnbrewer
    I have always heard that the difference in the consistency of the droppings is due to their type of diet at the time.
    You hit the nail on the head. It is just like humans. If you eat a steak and tators you know what you get, but add a big salad and a few beers and you never know what might take place. The same with deer and their diet. Minus the beer.
    Bowtech Admiral--Hoyt Vtec

I have often wondered too. But I have also been told that is how you tell the difference. I have also been told that if you are hunting in the snow you can tell the difference between when a buck and a doe urinate. A doe supposedly will urinate in one spot will a buck will tend to dribble more. Don't know if it is true, just what I heard.

i herd the same thing about the clumped and loose poo deal.

I know that big bucks leave big clumps of crap. I have seen it enough times in areas with only buck sign. His bedding area and rubs with only his tracks to be found. I'm not saying a big doe couldn't drop a bomb but big bucks do.
    The Kruncher™ Deer Call - Shooting Staff
    Look deep into nature and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein
    457gr/27.5/70#/252fps

No, no, no.....I thought that also until I saw a segment one time on TV with Dr. Deer....james Kroll.

If you find a clump of crap, it came from a deer that just came out of it's bed.
    With the deer being bedded, it makes the feces clump together.

Remember, this did not come from me. This came from Dr. James Kroll.

doe bung ain't as big as your forearm!

Another one of those timeless deer hunting myths.

crap

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer
    No, no, no.....I thought that also until I saw a segment one time on TV with Dr. Deer....james Kroll.

If you find a clump of crap, it came from a deer that just came out of it's bed.
    With the deer being bedded, it makes the feces clump together.

Remember, this did not come from me. This came from Dr. James Kroll.
    Yes...I agree with Blazer...according dr. deer also

I don't know I have heard this too, and believe there is a difference!

i read a study somewhere in which they disproved that myth. if i remember where i saw it i'll try to post the link.........
    Bite me!

Will kill for food

The rule of thumb is this; bigger deer, bigger bung and bigger droppings. I can tell big buck dung from doe dung. It’s harder to separate big doe from small buck though.

Ok this maybe long but will Explain Pelletology.....

Ok I saw a couple questions that I can answer for you:\
    1. Are buck droppings bigger than Doe droppings?
    Answer: No a study on pen raised deer actually prove otherwise...some of the larger pellets have come from mature Does! but theres a exception.....a Buck ranging in age 4 1/2 or above do have larger pellets....

2.Clumps or singles?
    Answer: Clumps suggest the deer has been eating grasses and forbs....Individual or loose pellets Indicates the deer are feeding on leaves and woody Browse!!!

More Interesting Knowledge: Deer defecate on average 13 times a day.....and Studys Indicate that there are ruffly 75 pellets in each defecation(I wouldn't want that job).......Pellets Make the perfact cover scent(rub them on your treestand and on your pants before you enter the woods....and there free.....no $ at all!) theres another study that shows that deer respond by coming to investigate a different deers pellets but it doesn't spook them!!!!

Just like when your dog rolls around in the remains of a dead animal.....that is the predator in them trying to cover there scent with the scent of what it is huntingor the scent of a prey animal !!!! (but really stinks to us)

hope that Helps in some of ya'lls Questions!

All notes and studys were taken from the North American Hunting Club Book....Whitetail Wisdom!

Thats what I do all day when im in a treestand is read these types of wisdom books!!!

Just think about it a buck is bigger and eats more in theory and therfore leaves a bigger pile of crap. The doe is smaller so I think you get the picture. I know there are many varibles involved in diet but just look at total mass.

The urine may not be totally accurate but it makes sense a doe squats some to pee or the ones I have seen do and that concentrates it more. A buck is standing and peeing which would spread it more and leave more dribble. There are many more variables but it can be assumed that way

I always was told the bucks do not get as good of diet since they tend to stay in small areas and not move as much as does. That’s why the scat is "clumped". I'm thinkin' as far as size goes (I know this is gross) but I have seen some small people drop some kids off at the pool that would make you think a giant stopped by so I not convinced that big deer have big droppings across the board. I guess I have no answers all I can do is add to the confusion. I would like to see a link on the study if someone could find it.
    Bowtech Commander
    (Compound Traditionalist…and inconspicuous Old Timer)
    Bear Super Kodiak

Turd Herders

Quote Originally Posted by MarineArcher
    An old friend told me recently that you can tell Buck droppings from Doe droppings. He says if the droppings are 'clumpped up' or 'mashed together, they are most likely from a Buck. Loose droppings would of course be a Doe.

I have been around a bit and am not easily fooled. I have also never heard this one before, even after 40 years of hunting... So I have my doubts.

Anyone else heard this or know if it is fact or fiction?
    I have heard this myth before, and also read readings from deer scientists that it is not true. It depends on their diet.
    Pope and Young Club Member
    Whitetails Unlimited Lifetime Member

Buck droppings are more chewy than doe droppings. Kidding of course.
    A bow
    Arrows
    Just because there is no picture, does not mean it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by rmullet
    I have often wondered too. But I have also been told that is how you tell the difference. I have also been told that if you are hunting in the snow you can tell the difference between when a buck and a doe urinate. A doe supposedly will urinate in one spot will a buck will tend to dribble more. Don't know if it is true, just what I heard.

a vet told me that a stallion urinates and then he steps on it, since the pee lands between the front and the back legs, so on his next step, the back legs will step on the pee. and a mare will urinate behind her, so the pee lands on where she had her back legs. so, the track will be different...
    I got a bow for my girlfriend... best deal ever!!

THATS WHERE I DRAW THE LINE NO RUBBING OF DEER POO ON ME. BUT I MIGHT TRY IT SOME DAY FOR A BIG ONE LOL.LOLOLOLOL...
    Bringing the AX down on some Big Bucks!

I've been told that also and believe it to be true to some degree. Especially if it is in a buck's bedding area, or an area I can see has been in from other signs. Mainly from the idea that a buck is useally bedded and lying around much more than a doe and his food is dijested differently than a doe that is always on the move and brousing. I'm guessing the less movement or exercise may be why clumped together and not in scattered pellets. It's just a theory that may be true or not, but I get a little more excited when I see the turds verses the pellets.

One thing to consider as far as the urination part. If the seat was left up, it was probably a mature buck...

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSniper
    Buck droppings are more chewy than doe droppings. Kidding of course.

Saw this on a tv hunting shot one time. Guy picks up droppings and chews on them and can tell you if its buck or doe. But later he tell ya that he has a pocket full of rasions that he subs for the turds he chews on. Good one to fool ya friends with. eh. AC
    scottstarnes.com>>>----->spyderwebtargets.com>>>------->www.epekhunting.com>>---->Elusion camo >>>---->PSEarchery.com
    Have fun with archery and archery will be fun for you.
    I've learned that there is a fine line between genius and insanity.
    I am related to a Genius and a Moron.

I was always told that when the turds are clumped together it means the animal has been bedding in that area. And if they are loose it means that it came from an active (moving) animal.

Whether this is true or not I'm not quite sure. But it does make sense.

I was also told if they are steamin' nock an arrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast