Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CVA Optima 50.Cal Load Question?

CVA Optima 50.Cal Load Question?

Hi. I know this is a bowhuntin fourm but i need some info on this. I just bought a CVA Optima Magnum 50.cal muzzleloader today. I bought 50 grain Pyrodex powder pellets and TC 200 grain Shockwave Sabots. Will this combination work for my gun? Also how many Pyrodex pellets should i use for a shot? Thanks for any info!!!

You can load up to 150 grains with the magnum. Mine works fine for me with 100 grains and the Hornady 45-300 xtp mags.....

I shoot 150 gr pyrodex w/ 250 gr bullet from my T/C encore your setup will shoot good have fun good luck

With a 200 gr. bullet 100 gr. of powder is more than enough. My most accurate load has been 90 gr. loose 777 with the 250 gr. Traditions Pentrators.
    McPherson Edge
    Pearson Stealth
    Diamond Black Ice
    Sword Acu-Site
    Bodoodlin' still

I shoot a 100gr with and I think 280gr power belts. Rocks out to a 100 yds! I can hit 4" groups at 150yds off the bench!
    JACK'S ARCHERY PLUS, THE LEFT HAND SHOP! STROTHER RUSH XT, STROTHER WRATH , CBE QUADLITE, SWORD APEX 3rd PLANE, VAPORTRAIL ARCHERY ,GOLD TIP UL PRO 22s,,CX MAXIMAs, VICTORY VAPs

You can shoot up to 150 grains of Pyrodex or black powder or three 50 grain Pyrodex pellets; however, most guns are much more accurate with around 100-120 grains. DO NOT shoot 150 grains or three pellets of Triple Seven as it is hotter than Pyrodex and there are no guns designed for 150 grains of Triple Seven. The 200 grain TC you mention is a great performer on deer. If you really want to learn a lot about your muzzleloader I suggest you visit www.modernmuzzleloader.com This site is the Archery Talk of muzzleloading and the guys on the site are very helpful and extremely knowledgeable. Best of luck.

After how many shots should i expect to clean it using the loads that i am using? Thanks!

Not trying to be a smartass, but didn't the gun come with a manual with some recommended loads (starting to maximum)? This is where you should start, and then work up your own load for that particular gun, using the manuals parameters.

The link below is a good read for anyone, not just beginners..........

http://www.realtree.com/bluelk/index.tpl
    Elite Energy 32
    HHA....QAD HDX
    Bee Stinger
    Easton Axis....Grim Reaper
    Ville Deer Contest Team 1....

A good rule of thumb is to spit patch after every shot (this means actually using saliva on a patch and running it up and down the barrel once or twice. You can then shoot again. After about 5 or 6 shots you should clean it with a solvent and start fresh again. Your owners manual may suggest another process as there are several that will work.

Illinois - Where our governors make your plates!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slidellkid
    DO NOT shoot 150 grains or three pellets of Triple Seven as it is hotter than Pyrodex and there are no guns designed for 150 grains of Triple Seven.

I agree, there are alot of articles out there of people having a lot of problems with CVA's when they use 150 grains of powder in them.

I have a cva optima I shoot 245 powerbelt bullets with 100 grains 777 pellets you dont need any more than that I hold 3in groups at 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman
    I agree, there are alot of articles out there of people having a lot of problems with CVA's when they use 150 grains of powder in them.

That's putting it mildly !!!! If you value your hands and other body parts, you won't even consider trying 150 grains of anything in a CVA !!!

http://www.chuckhawks.com/dangerous_muzzleloaders.htm

90 gr.

the best advise i can give you is work up a load that shoots well. this requires some time and dedication to do but is well worth the effort. do not belive all the hype about 150 gr. of powder, "it is a waist of propellent!" my rifle shoots the best groups at 90 gr. and i have taken a few whitetails in open farm country out to 150 yards with this 90 grain load using a 240 gr. dead center sabot!

Excalibur Matrix 355
    Black Eagle Executioners

I have rhe CVA Optima and I shoot 240 gr. bullets with 100 gr. of Pyrodex
    Team 28

I bought the Optima Pro this year and have been using 2-50 gr. pellets and a 245 Hornandy nosler tipped Sabot. They shot 2" groups at 100 yds.
    Vectrix XL Inferno, Vulcan -Limb Driver Pro,Viper Scopes, HHA, Vital Gear Quadangle, Winners' Choice Bowstrings - Carter Solution 2.5 Indoor Tru Ball Pro Diamond for Hunting Easton FMJ's Rage 2 Blade
    Hoyt Vulcan 30" 60lb.440gr. Easton 400 Full Metal Jacket---270 fps
    Hold Until it Hurts >>>---------> Release

Arrow

Most of the Barrels are not pressure tested for a 150 grains of Pyrodex or 120 of T7, some are but most American made ones like Knight, T/C, & Savage are but there is no requirement and the lower costs ones the barrels are made in Spain and they are not...

Pyrodex is okay but it requires a lot more cleaning over the T7. It gets what some call a crud ring and some blow back that covers the Scope with powder. I would suggest a Scope Cover if you are using one if you can in your state. Some states don't allow it... Check your Regs to be sure...

As for a load I use a Knight Disc Elite 50 Cal with 250 Grain T/c Shockwave and 2 50 grains of T7 and it is right on at 100 yards I have it sighted in for an inch high so in case it is a little farther out I can make the shot... There are many sabots out there. Fewer for the 45 Cal but still if you dial it in you should be good. As long as you do your part and make a good shot...

I would also recommend Modern Muzzleloading there are very informative especially for someone just getting started...

Good Luck...

LFM
    Last edited by LFM; December 6th, 2006 at 08:32 PM.
    Loyal Oneida AF/ LFM Shooter since 1995, Easton XX75 2514, Magnus Stinger 125 two blades, Pollington Pro Grip Release,

I shoot 295 grain powerbelt sabots and use 100 grains of powder. It seems to work okay for me.

MasterYoda Guest

well... not true

You can shoot up to 150 grains of Pyrodex or black powder or three 50 grain Pyrodex pellets; however, most guns are much more accurate with around 100-120 grains. DO NOT shoot 150 grains or three pellets of Triple Seven as it is hotter than Pyrodex and there are no guns designed for 150 grains of Triple Seven. The 200 grain TC you mention is a great performer on deer. If you really want to learn a lot about your muzzleloader I suggest you visit www.modernmuzzleloader.com This site is the Archery Talk of muzzleloading and the guys on the site are very helpful and extremely knowledgeable. Best of luck.

True 777 powder is 15% stronger than pyrodex... but not the pellets... according to hodgdon ( they own pryodex and 777) the triple seven pellets are designed to be equal to the pyrodex pellets...

I called hodgdon personally and that is what they told me...

As mentioned by some, I wouldn't shoot a 150 grain powder charge through an Optima. There have been several instances of them blowing up!

100 grains of powder is more than enough, especially with a lighter bullet like your shooting. My T/C's really like the 270 grain CVA Platnium PB bullet with 100 and 150 grain of Shockey's Gold from American Pioneer Powder.
    An "archer" tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A "BOWHUNTER" tries to see how CLOSE he can get to his.

My CVA liked 90 grains of T7 and a 240 grain sabot the best. This combo is bad medicine for whitetails.

Ive never seen or even heard of ANY problems with the CVA Optima.
    There were problems with older CVA's

I have seen a Knight that exploded though,dont really know from what though..

I shoot 100gr Triple7 and a 250gr. Precision QT from my Optima Pro,its good to 150 yds that I know of

I decided on 1 powder charge in my Optima and went thru 8 bullets before I found 1 that would group well. I use 120grs Triple 7 loose powder and a T/C 250gr Shockwave and get 1in groups at 100 yds with cleaning between each shot. The 200gr Shockwave would only get about 5-6in groups and the Powerbelt 295 was about 6in group. Tried some other sabots as well and nothing would get better then 5-6in. Now 80-90grs with the 200gr Shockwave shot very good and is the load I use when my daughter shoots it. Mark

Check these site out

Go to prbullet.com and hpmuzzleloading.com Very good info on both websites.

I own a .54 cal CVA sidelock percussion Hawken, and I love it. Of course, I use hand-measured loads and traditional round ball projectile... Love.

.50 cal you should need no more than 100 gr. A friend of mine has a TC Hawken 50 cal, and he uses 90 gr. More than enough.

My .54 cal - I use a 120 gr charge, and it does the trick out to 200 yards.

In terms of cleaning a black powder rifle, DO NOT USE SOLVENT! This is a petroleum-based product, and black powder doesn't react well with petroleum based cleaning substances. What basically happens is after a shot or two, the powder reacts with the solvent and makes the inside of the barrel very sticky and extremely difficult to load, and even get ignition from primer to the charge. The proper way to clean a black powder rifle is as follows:

1 - Boil up some water - Make sure its boiling hot
    2 - Pour the water into a bucket, adding some dish soap
    3 - Pull the nipple off - if percussion
    4 - Put on some gloves, and submerge the bottom of the barrel in the hot soapy water, with the nipple hole completely underwater
    5 - Use a cleaning swab, and run this up and down the barrel. This action will pull the hot, soapy water up the length of the barrel, and when you push down, it plunges the water out the nipple hole and fire chamber.
    6 - Continue to run the swab the length of the barrel until the barrel is so hot from the boiling water that you cannot hold it with bare hands. This high heat allows the residual water to evaporate off quickly.
    7 - Allow the barrel to cool and dry, then, when cool enough to hold with your hands, change out the swab for a cleaning jag and run a dry patch or two down the barrel.
    8 - Once the barrel is completely dry, run a patch saturated with bore butter through the barrel once or twice. This puts a thin film of lubricant in the barrel and makes for easier loading.

Prior to the hunt, be sure to pop a couple caps to make certain any accumulation of bore butter is cooked out of the fire chamber. Makes for truer and faster ignition of the charge.

Try to avoid any petroleum based substances with your black powder rifle. You'll be thankful you did.

Quote Originally Posted by LxHunter1983
    I have a cva optima I shoot 245 powerbelt bullets with 100 grains 777 pellets you dont need any more than that I hold 3in groups at 100 yards.
    I have a CVA Optima and this is exactly what I use with the aero tip power belts. For mine I found they shot ~2" at 100 yd vs the ~3" with the hollow point powerbelts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast